• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road trip extravaganza MD-CO

reezyF

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'll be taking an upcoming road trip from Baltimore Md to Denver Co and this may be the only outlet to fully appreciate my itinerary and provide advice.
My plan is this:
Day 1- Leave MD Saturday noonish(7/28) and play The whippin post or The woodshed in Paw Paw Wv Saturday afternoon. Continue all the way to Cincinatti OH and sleep.
Day 2- Leave hotel sunday morning, Go play Idlewild just south of Cinci first thing in the morning. Leave Idlewild and drive through st louis all the way to Columbia Mo and sleep.
Day 3- Leave hotel, Go play Harmony Bends first thing in the morning. Leave Harmony Bends and drive all the way to Denver.

As you could imagine I'm super excited to play Harmony Bends, Idlewild and Whippin Post, though I'm not sure I'll have the energy by day 3...
Could anyone advise which of The woodshed and The Whippin Post are easier to walk (flatter)? I can only play one and wanna save as much energy as possible for the following days.
Am I missing any must-see courses that could replace one of those 3?
Do you have any advice for keeping energy up for 54+ (hard) holes in 3 days?

THANKS~

Whipping Post is a little easier hike, quicker, and better than Woodshed IMO.

Might want to consider Orange Crush instead of Whipping Post. Orange Crush is literally right off the highway, while Paw Paw is literally in the middle of nowhere. Orange Crush is a harder hike, but easier to navigate, has better tees and multiple tees/baskets. Both are awesome courses.

Could also consider Deer Lakes, Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Agree that Whippin' Post is slightly better course than Woodshed. I would play both, once you have made it there.

Orange Crush is a super-fun course, but completely the opposite of an easy walk. Having a spotter will greatly speed pace of play on a few holes.

For Cincy courses Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge are both on the Kentucky side of the river. Idlewild is more challenging; Lincoln Ridge is fun (and often crowded). Play both if possible. :D

When I am on a road trip I like to find a decent, easy course near the destination course, and play the easy course as warm-up. Sometimes the easy courses end up being quite fun.

Sounds like a blast. Enjoy yourself!

I'll be taking an upcoming road trip from Baltimore Md to Denver Co and this may be the only outlet to fully appreciate my itinerary and provide advice.
My plan is this:
Day 1- Leave MD Saturday noonish(7/28) and play The whippin post or The woodshed in Paw Paw Wv Saturday afternoon. Continue all the way to Cincinatti OH and sleep.
Day 2- Leave hotel sunday morning, Go play Idlewild just south of Cinci first thing in the morning. Leave Idlewild and drive through st louis all the way to Columbia Mo and sleep.
Day 3- Leave hotel, Go play Harmony Bends first thing in the morning. Leave Harmony Bends and drive all the way to Denver.

As you could imagine I'm super excited to play Harmony Bends, Idlewild and Whippin Post, though I'm not sure I'll have the energy by day 3...
Could anyone advise which of The woodshed and The Whippin Post are easier to walk (flatter)? I can only play one and wanna save as much energy as possible for the following days.
Am I missing any must-see courses that could replace one of those 3?
Do you have any advice for keeping energy up for 54+ (hard) holes in 3 days?

THANKS~

Just of curiosity, you aren't going this weekend are you? If so, it will be impossible to play Idlewild with the Idlewild Open going on. Also, Sept 1-2 the Kentucky State Doubles are at Idlewild. Not sure if the course is actually closed for casual play during that event but you wouldn't have much fun...

2nd Monocacy's suggestion of hitting Lincoln Ridge! :thmbup:

I'll third Lincoln Ridge, it not as good as Idlewild but it's definitely more fun! I'd skip WV and get more west faster.
My other suggestions is Water Works in KC.