• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Player Admits to Playing Shorter Tees By Accident, No Penalty

Treeplant

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
My friend recently played a tournament where the following scenario happened.

A player who normally plays advanced am drops down to intermediate am due to an injury to their non-throwing arm.

This player starts the first round playing with a group full of advanced players. There is one hole on the course that intermediates are supposed to play from the back tees, but when the player in question gets to this hole the advanced members of the group incorrectly tell them they are supposed to be playing from the shorter tees.

It was announced that intermediates would be playing the long tees on this particular hole at the initial player's meeting, but it was an admittedly confusing situation for most players.

This player plays the hole from the short tees incorrectly and the rest of the round without incident and then on Day 2 of the tournament plays the same hole again in my friend's group and at that point mentions that they played the hole on the short tees on Day 1. Nobody in the group mentions this to the tournament director.

At the end of the day my friend comes in second place to the player by 3 or 4 strokes. The tees in question shorterened the hole by 100 feet of fairly nasty downhill wooded corridor shot. My friend took a double bogey on the hole and believed the hole was birdied by the player in question.

It was a lower tier event and my friend doesn't really care much about it, but I'm just curious what people on here think would have happened if the situation was reported to the tournament director at the end of the tournament?

Again, to be clear: the player honestly mistakenly played from the shorter tees. They did not play the hole again from the proper tees that day. The mistake wasn't noticed that day at all.

Thoughts?

It's a two throw penalty, so not enough to make up the difference.

803.03 D
In instances where a misplay is discovered after the player has turned in the scorecard, the misplay shall not be replayed and the player shall receive a two-throw penalty for the misplay.

803.03 G
Types of misplay:
1. Incorrect Lie. The player has:
a) Teed off from a teeing area that is not the correct teeing area for the current hole; or,
b) Thrown from a lie established by a disc other than the thrown disc; or,
c) Played an out-of-bounds disc as if it were in-bounds; or,
d) Thrown from a lie established by a previous throw which passed a mandatory on the wrong side.

Like others have said it's a 2 stroke penalty for misplay.

It's another spot where the rules lean towards overly lenient. There are holes out there where playing the short instead of the long is at minimum a 2 stroke swing.

It's another spot where the rules lean towards overly lenient. There are holes out there where playing the short instead of the long is at minimum a 2 stroke swing.
Agreed. In order to be a valid deterrent, penalties should be more severe than the cost of "doing the right thing," regardless of whether a rule was broken intentionally or not. Otherwise, they may actually create an incentive to game or job the system.

Latest posts