• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a round with the course designer

I prefer to play a new course with the designer if at all possible.

I prefer that people who play my course for the first time play with me if at all possible.

It was great playing with you tonight, amazing job on the course and such a great night for it.

Seeing how you designed the shots was pretty cool. Thanks again for having me out!

I use the designer's comments mostly to provide information on the status of the course, for example when the course is put on DGCR by others before I have finished construction, or where some one puts a three hole sr center recreational putting facility on DGCR and complain about not finding the tees . . . I do not comment on the design reviews as each player has their own ideas or how to play and skills levels for various shoots, I just hope that my designs make the players in he communities I work in think....think about shot selection, think about risk/reward, think about the natural features of the track of land.

It is fun to be playing a course with someone I do not know in one of the 7 states I have designed and built courses in and have them after a few holes say "what were they thinking when the put this tee here?" and I respond with "forehand cut roller with stable driver for risky run at duce or lay up to small opening for easy out and par to gain a stroke on the field". Then let them know I designed and installed this facility . . . . but most players do not want a story a hole, although I sure have one.

I have played courses with a few designers and it is interesting to get there perspective. I have no intention of ever designing a course because I am sure it would be a disaster but my only complaint with some new courses I have played in the past few years is patience. I think designers should wait to complete the layout during the spring or summer when foliage is out and not during the winter when there are no leaves on the trees that can impede routes and weigh down branches. I have also thought it would be great to play a course designed by a female to see there perspective on design. Does anyone know of any courses designed by females in the southeast?

Houston might be the closest area to find courses done by Andy Lehman Young. It's possible Sarah Cunningham may have helped with a design in the South Carolina area.

I know I am looking forward to the day when I get to design a course. I think as a designer you have to come in with the reality that people are going to find new ways to get to your baskets. Unless it really creates a significant scoring advantage, let them have their fun. Playing with course designers is fun for me from the standpoint that I learn something new about design and I can reason as to why a designer might be not as accurate as they think.

I like especially to play with people, ALL skill levels, before I finalize the course. Helps with fairness and proper placement of things. I think too many course designers dont get proper input before finalizing a course.

I would think in NC making rollers an option on some holes would be a necessary design option considering the general terrain there.

I would think in NC making rollers an option on some holes would be a necessary design option considering the general terrain there.

I dont understand, explain. I dont care about other designers, I design holes to have free and clear and fair airways. Additionally I design holes and build them to retain as much soil as possible. One thing I absolutely can't stand is the rooty fairway of unprotected wooded courses. Poor planning and maintenance is usually the cause. Reedy and Kilborne in Charlotte are like this. The roots are dangerous, cause odd skips, and then you start losing trees. Erosion is my number 2 concern after hole shape. (even before bridges)

Fairways are not only airways. I understand the erosion control related to exposed roots so no issue with that. I'm thinking more about wooded areas where maybe there are pines and other trees without roots so close to the surface where the ground might be rollable. I wouldn't go out of my way to specifically block rollers. And I'm not talking just rollers from the tee but the chance for short, technical rollers to get out of trouble.

Fairways are not only airways. I understand the erosion control related to exposed roots so no issue with that. I'm thinking more about wooded areas where maybe there are pines and other trees without roots so close to the surface where the ground might be rollable. I wouldn't go out of my way to specifically block rollers. And I'm not talking just rollers from the tee but the chance for short, technical rollers to get out of trouble.

Sure but I would never design a hole for a roller, I was just joking about blocking rollers. This is why (and I had to learn) it is bad to line fairways with the logs you cut to form them. Bad design and building practice. It also makes channels that cut the fairway worse when it rains. Using a roller to save yourself is a personal decision based on your skill with the shot. I thought you were implying that NC courses were so tightly wooded or low canopy that many times only rollers work. I throw tons of rollers in Charlotte. Sometimes it is the best way to stay out of trouble.

I got to play with Bill at flip city a couple of years ago. That's my most memorable time of playing with a course designer. Ive played with superberry a bunch but that guy is a dick so I don't count it.

^ When you play with a dick a bunch of times, I'd say it qualifies as a relationship.

Playing around with the course designer

Two more reasons to wash your hands after playing disc golf.

I got to play with Bill at flip city a couple of years ago. That's my most memorable time of playing with a course designer. Ive played with superberry a bunch but that guy is a dick so I don't count it.

Bill is very, very fun to have along for a round. :thmbup: :cool:

That man can disc. :)

Every once in a while I'll get to play a disc golf course with the person(s) who designed it. I am often fascinated by the mindset of the particular designer in choosing how to lay out their course. As I walk from hole to hole the designer is constantly giving input as to why a particular line or space was used for a hole. Where they put the basket. The alternative positions they selected. The mind is constantly challenged for these people!
And then I throw a shot that they had no idea was even there! I love the look on their face(s). "Hmm, I would've never thought of throwing over there!"
I enjoy & respect the effort of the course designer & hope to be one myself one day! :D

When I played Stoney Hill I'm pretty sure DavidSauls was shaking his head at every thumber my buddy threw off the tee.

....or wondering where to go to get a restraining order at that time of day.

We have two holes where thumbers thwart the designers intent. On one, the trees will soon grow in enough to put an end to the mischief. The other needs an overhead net, and don't put it past us to do it.

Elsewhere, thumbers may be distasteful but they don't really constitute "cheater routes"---just a different, less graceful, way to play the holes.

Come on David....embrace the dark arts of disc golf

There was a time when I really enjoyed watching someone throw thumbers.

It was the day that a guy tried to throw one over the pond and failed. And another. And another.

Latest posts