• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a Tournament

play recreational, it's a great way to meet new people and get more involved in the sport, can you consistently shoot underpar at the course you're playing? if not wait and practice more. expect things to go badly and just take it as a learning experience.

I've only played a few weeks and my first tournament is tomorrow. One, it's an Ice Bowl, so the money is going to a good cause. Two, the intermediate (lowest available) entry fee is 20-bucks and three canned goods. I say that's 20-bucks for a lesson, both in disc golf and competition play/etiquette/lingo/etc. Not to mention I'm going to get my local disc club membership and meet a lot of people I'll be playing with over the course of the year. Not a bad deal, considering Memphis is literally iced over. It's going to be off the chain tomorrow!

Don't worry about par. If you want to get better faster, I'd suggest playing in tournaments, take notes and ask for advice. Theres likely people playing tourneys that are worse than you.

my first tournament was with 4 months experience. I placed 10th out of 14 in Intermediate, with a score 20 strokes from cashing. However I had an amazing time and quickly looked for the next possible tournament after that. It only served to stoke the fire and motivate me further to get better. Play Rec if they have it, the people are more relaxed and you can learn the ropes of tournament play.

Playing in competitive settings is a great way to get better and meet other players around your area. Just be up front about the fact that you're new and don't have a lot of tournament experience and most players are more than happy to hep you out with rules and etiquette, and you'll get to see how different people throw and play the course.

Just look at the entry fee as a small price to pay for learning from people that are better. Watch and learn as much as you can. I learn something every time I play with a new person. It may be something small, but it all helps.

I started 6 months ago and enter in first tournament after a 1 month. Placed 2nd out of 12 and played next month and placed 2nd out of 9.Played in third tournament ever 3 months later and placed 1ST out of 9 !!! Shot 2 under on a very windy day. Entry fee was $7 won $35 but not the point of money. I had fun and learned alot about the game from others. The rules, other disc, throwing style and meet new poeple. Made some friends!

Rock the tournaments ASAP! This will only get your disc golf juices flowing more than ever. I try to play at least one a month and I played my first tourney only 2 months after picking up my first disc. I am a stats junkie and I loving being a PDGA member so I can track my (ever so slowly) progressing stats.

I actually have a 2 day, 3 round event that starts tomorrow. It is one of the few non-icebowl events in January. I do love Arizona winters!!!:clap:

Shooting under par for rec? Your ass will be bagger chanted straight into intermediate or adv.

The bagger chant is mostly in jest. If they're serious, tell them where to shove it and play the division your rating dictates.

First tourney? I'd say don't try to keep everyone else's score, just mind your own. Play your own game and don't worry about having to catch up with the other players on your card. Most of all, relax and HAVE FUN!

I've only played a few weeks and my first tournament is tomorrow. One, it's an Ice Bowl, so the money is going to a good cause. Two, the intermediate (lowest available) entry fee is 20-bucks and three canned goods. I say that's 20-bucks for a lesson, both in disc golf and competition play/etiquette/lingo/etc. Not to mention I'm going to get my local disc club membership and meet a lot of people I'll be playing with over the course of the year. Not a bad deal, considering Memphis is literally iced over. It's going to be off the chain tomorrow!

I wanted to play Bud Hill's ice bowl but the roads are too icy for me to make the drive! Oh well, Spring will be here soon enough

Playing a tournament will also help you practice better. The things you need to work on will become glaringly obvious and you'll understand how tourney play is way different than a casual round.

My concern is not knowing the rules not to worried about how I play.Always have a good time playing whether I do good or not.

My concern is not knowing the rules not to worried about how I play.Always have a good time playing whether I do good or not.

You can look over the rules here. Also if no one else does, ask the TD at the players' meeting where the OBs are, if there are any mandos and how to play a missed mando (drop zone, retee, etc.) and if the 2 meter rule is in effect.

Also, if there is a condition on the course that you may be concerned with, let the TD know at the players' meeting (this year at Wildcat Spring A-Tier we had a bee hive off of hole #7 that the big arms could get in trouble with)

not too early, just read the rule book a few times. don't expect to shoot as well as you do in casual rounds. i'd recommend playing some leagues first if you have the option.

Read the rules beforehand, and just be honest with your card that you don't know all the rules yet. Most people are friendly and helpful about it, and are more than happy to help you out with that.

Latest posts