• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a Tournament

Half the players at tournaments I swear don't know the rulebook, some of whom have been playing tournaments for years.

The most common faux pas I see with people new to tournament play is that they have no patience or consideration for their card mates or people on other holes. Granted, you really only learn that with practice.

Please be sure to stand well behind the "out" person where you are out of their line of sight. Make sure your cell phone is off during the round, and if you have an errant disc land close to another fairway, make sure people on that hole aren't throwing through before you mark your lie, and/or take your shot from there.

I'm playing in my first tournament tomorrow (a doubles tourney) and I've been playing for seven months. I know my partner and I have zero chance of winning but I'm doing it for a lot of the reasons many people on here stated - play with better people and learn, get tournament experience and have a bar set that I'll work towards beating in the future. Entering as a double does take some of the pressure off. One thing I do realize leading up to this tourney is that to get better I really need to practice certain shots more as today's warm-up rounds with my partner I could not throw an anhyser to save my life.

i want to enter a tournament i dont know what to enter as i been playing for like 6 mths but today i bat some guy who is am lvl 2 should i enter as one

Played my first tournament today. I had a pretty mediocre round, but I picked up a lot just by watching the form and technique of all the other players. Plus the proceeds went to charity and I got a disc out of the deal. Win win win.

So as soon as you're comfortable playing with someone you don't know, hit up a tourney.

If you like friendly competition, go for it. Maybe learn something from other players.

I haven't played a disc golf tournament yet, but I've played a lot of tournament cards. Just something to keep in mind, not something to scare you: you might run into a rules lawyer/ ***hole but don't let it bother you. Remember, you are there to HAVE FUN and get better. Don't let any uptight people ruin the experience for you.

I haven't played a disc golf tournament yet, but I've played a lot of tournament cards. Just something to keep in mind, not something to scare you: you might run into a rules lawyer/ ***hole but don't let it bother you. Remember, you are there to HAVE FUN and get better. Don't let any uptight people ruin the experience for you.

Yeah, but don't go into tournaments with the attitude that anyone who enforces the rules is a jerk. Our sport would be better off if people were better about enforcing the rules, and less likely to scream at someone for pointing out a rules violation.

Yeah, but don't go into tournaments with the attitude that anyone who enforces the rules is a jerk. Our sport would be better off if people were better about enforcing the rules, and less likely to scream at someone for pointing out a rules violation.

Oh, totally agreed. But there is definitely a difference between knowing and enforcing the rules, and being a **** about it. 99% of the people will be cool about rules enforcement, but there is always that 1% who will rules-lawyer you to death, to the detriment of the game. Again, I haven't actually played any dg tourneys, so I'm not sure how prevalent it is in disc golf, but from my tournament experience in other pursuits those types are a reality you'll have to deal with sooner or later.

I've played in a few tourneys. It has been a great experience except for my first tournament.

Not knowing where I fit in, I figured to start at the bottom (REC) and work my way up. I had played with around 20% of the people entered at one time or another in casual play. All played more consistant than me. Most were entered in AM or ADV with one or two playing OPEN. So, REC made sense.

I got carded with 3 other guys entered in REC who I didn't know, two of which worked together. As we walked to our tee box assignment, I explained it was my first tourney and to please explain if I did something wrong.

After about 4 holes, I was a couple of strokes ahead of the rest of my group. That's when I saw the attitude change in the two guys that worked together. They both started calling me on multiple foot faults with no warning and I was acessed penalty strokes. I got so paranoid about it, I started standing with my feet in line with the basket instead of perpendicular (like a stratle putt). It really went to my head.

On one hole, one of the two guys threw with a flagrant foot fault, so I figured what goes around, comes around and I called him on it. He denied it and his friend backed him up. He took no penalty stroke on the card. The fourth guy in our group just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't want to be involved.

End of story, one of the guys beat me by one stroke to win the division. After the awards ceremony, we had words. The fourth guy in our group came up to me later and told me that I'd gotten screwed but he came out to have fun, so he didn't get involved.

It really put me off of tourneys for awhile. I've played in a few more in the last few months before the cold weather and I've got to say everyone I've met have been nothing short of great.

I'm looking forward to playing more touneys when it warms up a little.

Woodpecker

I've never played a tourney but ive been playing about a year and a half....how do you know what division to enter?

in general i'd ask the td what division you fit in based on the scores you usually shoot at the course in question.

there's also- ask folks of similar skill level what division they play in (this assumes you play with a variety of folks)

i'm guessing you play at bayville primarily- try to hit one of the low cost weekly events first to get an idea where you fit best.

all highly unscientific. when in doubt play recreational the first time- novice is unlikely to be offered in virginia.

i dont play byville much at all, i do know they have weekly events during the summer- didnt fit in my schedule last summer. i play at Munden Point mostly and there isnt many others there to compare myself to.

I had begun typing a response in regards to rules nazis that was long and detailed and related it to other sports. I have been involved in adult, and youth, leagues for more than 20 years. Disc is the sport I love; but I have been involved with basketball, football, softball/baseball, etc. for a long time. I can say from experience, that in regards to rules nazis; lowest and highest divisions in all sports are the worst. With that said; top cards, in all divisions will have their share of nazis. this does not mean that rules should not be known and followed; but, the more competitive a person is; regardless of skill level, the more likely they are to attempt to use anything to their advantage. At the bottom line; I would say this is actually the primary reason that tourneys are eventually given up on by all but the top players. Those who really love the game; can sometimes convince themselves for a long time; that sandbagging and high entry fees, and such, are worth it, to meet other players loving the game. But, at some point; too many nazi Joe's take the fun part out; which is really the only part important to all but those winning money; or making money in merchandising ways.

I've never played a tourney but ive been playing about a year and a half....how do you know what division to enter?

Start at the bottom level, if you crush everyone go up a level, until your playing with people that are on a similar level as you.

Start at the bottom level, if you crush everyone go up a level, until your playing with people that are on a similar level as you.

sounds like an idea to me

i have played hundreds of tournaments over the years and also run hundreds ranging from weeklies to the highest levels of pdga competition. for the last few years the majority of the golf i find time to play has been in tournaments.

for some folks there is never a time to start playing tournaments, others start as soon as they pick up a disc. if you look up results from the year am worlds was held in grand rapids michigan (97 i think) you'll see at or near dead last a guy who had very recently started playing at that point and entered the world championships just because he could. his name is dave feldberg and it doesn't seem to have worked out all that badly for him.

it really is dependent on you as an individual and your comfort level in arenas where you are uncertain about a lot of things. if you have background in other sports i'd encourage you to start sooner than later- if you've never done a competitive thing in your life then it is less likely tournaments will be your thing.

in general you will find other players as well as organizers to be receptive to your questions/concerns- let them know you haven't done it before and they'll help where they can. there are always going to be *******s who don't do so but no more or less so than in any other aspect of life.

and yes- turn off the darn cell phone! (i saw a playoff for the championship of an a-tier event i was running ruined by an untimely cell phone ringing in the gallery so it's kind of stuck with me)

i dont play byville much at all, i do know they have weekly events during the summer- didnt fit in my schedule last summer. i play at Munden Point mostly and there isnt many others there to compare myself to.

good to hear that munden's has a local. i haven't made it down there since the baskets were in the ground but inspected it a few days before. you may have to go to bayville to test the waters however.

i do realize bayville is where the competition is, i just find the course boring... all the holes feel the same. i played once last summer and only got 9 in because the wait times were really long.

Latest posts