• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the cold

i use one of these:
1976306-Football-Hand-Warmer-Pro---Adult.jpg

Any advice for those that have to keep score? When it is 0 degrees and windy, my hands are exposed too long while writing down scores, especially if I throw first. I think I will go with the batting glove next time.

The Ace Race reusable scorecards are awesome in the winter.

Dressing in layers is definitely the best way to go. I use under armor base layers underneath everything else and it does a lot to help me stay warm. With it you often need less bulk and it doesn't get too hot even when it's 40 or 50 outside as it breathes well. Its not cheap ($80-$120 for the top and bottom) but worth every penny for me.

The under armour compression winter gear is awesome. Thin and doesn't restrict movement. I got a few from marshall at more than 50% off. $50 shirts for $20.

Don't neglect your legs! Long underwear is a huge asset in cold weather, as it provides warmth without upper body restriction. I usually forgo a bulky coat and just layer up with a long underwear top, shirt, thin sweatshirt, thick hoodie, and additional oversized zipup sweatshirt over that. Movement restriction is minimal and I can remove layers as needed. Get a good hat and mittens (they're warmer than gloves as others have said) and wear awesome socks or multiple layers of them. My buddy likes to pull pastic bags over his socks before putting on his boots for good measure. He claims this keeps his feet dry in case snow comes over the top of the boot, but I just tuck my long underwear into my sock and it does reasonably well without the plastic feel.

Beer freezes. If you choose to consume alcohol during your round, you may want to consider switching to something with a little higher alcohol content.

Stay hydrated. It's not as easy to tell when you're getting dehydrated in the cold. Make sure you take plenty of water with you, and make sure you drink it. In the cold, your water may freeze (duh). I fill a bottle with warm water and keep a thermos full of hot water in the car to refill between rounds.
Hydration is especially important if you're drinking alcohol.

Always bring a towel. Several, in fact. I've gone through the same number of towels during a round in heavy, wet snow as I have during rounds in a downpour. I also have an old rag for blowing my nose.

Ribbon your discs. Assuming there's snow, and it's not sanctioned, and the TD is okay with it. Nobody likes losing their discs, and nobody likes wasting time looking for discs, especially in tourneys. Don't throw white discs if there's snow.

Chapstick. Being out in the cold and wind all day, your lips might well get chapped. You can also put it on your hands if they start cracking.

Sunglasses or ski goggles if it's really windy or the sun is glaring badly off the snow.

Snacks. Trudging through the snow all day can be tiresome, and you'll be burning calories faster than you think. You get hungry out there sometimes. Snacks freeze too! That cheese stick you were planning on eating? Frozen cheese popsicle. Nuts and jerky are good choices.

And lastly,

Try not to fall on your ass. It hurts and can be embarrassing :D

A merino wool long sleeve undershirt is key for me, I play about twice a week in the winter. For my legs I usually just use a super cheap pair of long underwear (non cotten) and jeans. If it is really cold (under-5) I switch to ski pants. Wool socks and hat and done.

I don't like to play in boots, so I wear a Merrell gore-tex hiking shoe. If the snow is over a few inches you would want to use a gaiter or snow pants with them. What ever you choose make sure you have water proof footwear. I also like to keep my towel for my discs in my bag and not hanging off it. When you set your bag down for up shots and putts, you won't soak your towel. That will keep it dry and snow free as much as possible.

If there's snow on the ground, keep your discs in the car overnight. Warm discs melt the snow which will make it wet on the surface, leaving you with a wet sloppy mess on your disc.

^This x 2.

Soooo much easier this way than with "warm" discs. :thmbup:

Edit: A thermos of hot soup kicks ass half-way through a round, plus it's like mental warfare against your cardmates: "Dude, is that soup....damn! :( :("

Ribbon your discs. Assuming there's snow, and it's not sanctioned, and the TD is okay with it. Nobody likes losing their discs, and nobody likes wasting time looking for discs, especially in tourneys. Don't throw white discs if there's snow.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed up to 3ft. of ribbon even in a sanctioned event, but if someone wants to confirm or correct that I'd appreciate it. Also, if you're looking for something even better than ribbon, get your hands on some old music tapes that you don't mind destroying and remove the ribbon from inside. It's lighter and thinner than most ribbon so will have less of an effect, but still sits on top of the snow and marks your lie just as well.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed up to 3ft. of ribbon even in a sanctioned event, but if someone wants to confirm or correct that I'd appreciate it. Also, if you're looking for something even better than ribbon, get your hands on some old music tapes that you don't mind destroying and remove the ribbon from inside. It's lighter and thinner than most ribbon so will have less of an effect, but still sits on top of the snow and marks your lie just as well.

I swear I just read on here recently that ribbon isn't usable in sanctioned events.

I swear I just read on here recently that ribbon isn't usable in sanctioned events.

You did read that, in this thread. It appears a TD can seek a waiver from the PDGA for ribbon on discs for a sanctioned tournament. I will admit, I have not looked up that rule myself, so don't quote me on it.

Forget cotton. There are a lot of cotton and cotton blend undergarments, including undergarments marketed as cold weather clothing. This includes socks. Cotton holds moisture against the skin. If that moisture gets chilled there is nothing you can do to keep warm.

Even in the most severe conditions I've played in (single digit temps with double digit wind chills) I never wear more than 4 layers on my torso. Polypro underlayer, medium weight polyester sweatshirt, fleece zipper hoodie. And in the severest of weather a fleece vest.

Another important part of my winter weather garments is a neck muffler. Works better than a scarf.

As a Texan I can 100% relate to this. Growing up, our "longhandles" were 50% polyester/50% cotton. Garbage! It took my first snow ski trip decades later to force me to learn how to dress for the cold. I found Patagonia's web site to be very helpful for teaching me what I was missing. Polypro and fleece are definitely your friend. Cotton is EVIL! Also as a wintertime motorcycle rider, neck gaiters ROCK!

Last edited:

Latest posts