• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plotter - vinyl peels on sharp turns/ small details

josh_carson20

Par Member
I have had a plotter for a couple months now, and i have had no troubles with simple designs with no small cuts or sharp turns, BUT every time i try to do a more detailed cut, it seems like the blade housing is dragging on the vinyl causing it to peel up. I have made sure the blade is not sticking out too much, and tried different blades. I just cannot figure out why it keeps doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a USCutter MH-365.
Using 3M Scotchcal (Free)
Signcut

I have searched the USCutter forums to no avail... this is my last hope! Help Me!

Take the blade out of the housing and put a thin layer of vaseline where the housing might drag on the vinyl.

I only use 40g of pressure and speed of 50 and it seems to do well with the 3m.

I have never used 60 degree blades but that might help because there would be less blade running through the material.

Lubricant on blade to reduce drag?

thanks everyone. i will try the vaseline, and ive got new vinyl on order. I already have tried the 60 degree blade, but it didnt seem to do anything. I have tried tons of different speeds and pressure, and none work. Im going to try all of this tonight, thanks!

When cutting anything detailed you need to turn the speed to the lowest possible setting. The blade needs to be set correctly in the holder and the holder needs to be a bit high so that a lot of the blade is sticking out. Adjust the blade's height until it is barely cutting through the vinyl at the desired pressure. Also make sure there is no overlapping cuts, when doing detailed work the prep makes all the difference. You can go as far as ordering the vectors so that you cut in a specific pattern, like not starting a cut near any vertex.

2011-07-16193444.jpg

Like with the above disc it can be really tricky.

thanks, ive got more vinyl ordered, and I will try showing more blade and raising it up, im also going to try the vaseline trick. i know the blade swivels fine, but i am going to keep messing with it til i get it right. thanks for the feedback!

Might also be the frickin heat, the softer the vinyl the more likely it'll get picked up??? I'm struggling here to Josh, just changed blades and can't seem to get it back where it was... I don't know about the vaseline, you get any in the swivel ring and eventually dust will get in there too, that would seem to be a bad combination.

PS. BooBoo, that disc is BadAss!

Yeah, it may be the heat/ the fact im using the free 3M stuff, because when i first got it i tried a detailed one and it peeled, so once i get in my 651 ill try it out and go from there. was kind of scared to try the vaseline, but if changing the vinyl doesnt work/ raising the housing and lowering the blade i may resort to it.

I have had a plotter for a couple months now, and i have had no troubles with simple designs with no small cuts or sharp turns, BUT every time i try to do a more detailed cut, it seems like the blade housing is dragging on the vinyl causing it to peel up. I have made sure the blade is not sticking out too much, and tried different blades. I just cannot figure out why it keeps doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a USCutter MH-365.
Using 3M Scotchcal (Free)
Signcut

I have searched the USCutter forums to no avail... this is my last hope! Help Me!

I have the same set up and always have problems with the free 3m stuff, the greenstar works alot better. when I use the 3m I set the force to 20 and still have to babysit it.

Latest posts