• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll - Your Response to Wind

Thinking of going to the course, but there's wind. What do you do?

• Total voters
Wind usually doesn't affect my decision to play a casual round unless it's sustained 30mph+ on a mostly open course. It's amazing how much the wind varies on my course, the lower wooded sections hardly ever have wind, and you might even forget there is a lot of wind on the upper more open section.

If it's a tournament I already signed up for, or I'm on a scheduled road trip I'm often playing regardless of conditions unless I deem its unsafe.

I lost my best good roc3 i had had forever into a lake due to the wind yesterday.... Needed to keep nose down and stay below embankment to avoid the gusts. Fence in front of me, pulled up a little on the follow through, gust caught it and it sailed! I knew I should've just flicked a fb. Feelsbadman.

I play all year & in all weather conditions. I only don't go if the snow is deep or if there's lightning. As the answer I picked in the poll states, I use windy days as a learning experience. I will purposely go disc golfing on windy days. If I only practice on nice days, then I won't be prepared for a windy tournament day.

I kinda generally hate wind. I've not liked all kinds of activities in the wind, but that being said if I want to go out and throw, I'm going to throw. My home course in the summer time gets afternoon winds and it is a completely different course with and without. Just change discs and lines on a couple holes.

I prefer calm days as Im sure anybody does. However I work all week and during the winter especially I don't get out until its too late to get a round in. So for me it is whenever I can I play. Like 2 or 3 weeks ago on my sunday league wind had to be getting upwards of 50mph at times. Even very stable discs were turning over for everybody on my card. As we came up to our last hole a tree fell from the winds. Fortunately we had just finished putting so we were back from the falling tree. All this to say for me a little bad weather just helps me improve and become better then the next guy and lets face it we all want to beat the next guy.

I prefer calm days as Im sure anybody does.....

I prefer windy days, myself. They add an interesting element to the decision process of what disc to throw, and how to throw it. They add strategy, as approaches are not just about getting as close as possible, but landing on the preferable side of the basket.

Plus, every throw comes with a built-in excuse for going awry. Better to have wind, than to take full blame.

Calm days are an opportunity to work on my understable dangles, windy ones are a litmus to see how well my RHFH work has come along.

I used to avoid windy days until I felt like I had a breakthrough regarding disc selection, it made my windy day discin life much more pleasurable. If it's windy during a tournament I don't wanna make much of an ass of myself. Anything over 15mph though I still struggle and it's still a guessing game at times. We had 40mph gusts last week, I learned I in fact hate 40mph wind gusts.

The learning curve goes way up on windy days. I have always felt it is just another part of the game. On one occasion however the wind was picking my discs up off the ground and hurling them 50 feet or more from my original spot. This was very frustrating. Also when the wind is banging the chains against the pole this is a good indicator of whether to compete or just jack around.

From Kansas the land of OZ.

Voted for "wind happens", as long as it's not brutally cold the wind doesn't affect my decision to throw. I just try to keep it down to lessen the impact of the wind and choose the right disc for the wind direction.

I've never tried to embed a video before, so here we go:

This is what turned out to be a typical putt at the tournament that got me serious about learning how to play in the wind.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.goelz.1/videos/o.1473799606261984/10156188425825035/?type=2&theater

This is exactly why those of us (myself included) who putt without authority for fear of overshooting have to learn to drive hard into the chains when there's a wind. I've been 3 feet from the basket and a headwind lifted my disc up and over the chastity belt more times than I can count.

This is exactly why those of us (myself included) who putt without authority for fear of overshooting have to learn to drive hard into the chains when there's a wind. I've been 3 feet from the basket and a headwind lifted my disc up and over the chastity belt more times than I can count.

That was (is) my problem as well. I tend to use a soft push putt that either goes in or falls right at the basket. Great for not overshooting, but absolutely terrible in the wind. The guys that were having success that day were putting very firmly and confidently. Since then I've worked on putting in the wind. Firmer with more spin seems to be the key, but my putting still suffers greatly in the wind...

We have wind pretty much all the time. If there is one of those rare days without, I usually gain a couple of strokes during the round...

Try a max weight soft plastic (gstar, esp, etc.) high speed driver -- it's an easy shot then. The putter purists may disagree but don't knock it until you've tried it.

My wife is a soft putter. During a round last year, a gust hit just as she released a putt from about eight feet out. The wind picked it up and blew it behind her about 15 feet.

I'll offer here the advice I gave her. If you're putting into a stiff wind or when there are lots of strong gusts, either drive the disc firmly into the pole or flip your putter upside down.

Some of the coolest and craziest shots ive ever thrown were in winds gusting 30mph+

Putting sucks but not like i go out during these rounds expecting to throw a 1000 rating lol.

Upside down putt FTW!

I work full time, but I usually get off around 2:30-3:00 and spend an hour or more throwing in the field near my house. The way the field is set up( it's actually a vacant lot, complete with rubble, that a field grew over). If it is windy, the wind travels through the field in such a way that I am throwing headwind/tailwind as I throw back and forth. Even if the headwind throwing is miserable, the tailwind bombing is usually fun enough to keep me around. My disc/practice selection might be restricted due to conditions, but after a decent amount of throws into the wind, I usually start to figure out how to compensate, even if I have to power down and start from there. It's definitely possible to get it to work with practice, and it will only improve your skill set overall.

Where I am, wind is inevitable. Middle of the summer, I get calm days, and it is great. But fall-spring, I am dealing with wind. It definitely has improved my game and understanding of disc flight. If you play in calm conditions all of the time, you are missing out on a huge portion of learning the game. But, that would be fine with me :D I'd trade a windy day for a calm day anytime. I also wouldn't have to own so many discs. Now I own discs for calm days, semi-windy days, and very windy days.

Latest posts