• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting in the wind - Disc choice

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
It's been really windy what seems like every time I play the last couple of months, and my putting definitely suffers in the wind.

How windy does it have to be before you switch to something besides your normal putter, and what do you switch to?

Do you switch your stance (straddle vs inline)?

Does a steady wind (vs a gusty wind) affect your answer?

Steady wind is easier than gusty... I can plan for that. I usually putt with 167 plasma envy, but I keep a 174 neutron close by.. If it's really bad and I have it I use the entropy, it's a natural complement to the envy just heavier. If it's really really bad I will start trying upside down.

I have a unique situation/solution.

I putt with Wizards. They perform great until it gets really blustery.

Once I am uncomfortable with the air bounces or potential for a random result, I switch to the Scale.

Same handfeel but a much more predictable drop. I can't putt with the Scale full time bc it doesn't have great distance potential, but it's nails when the wind kicks up.

So in short, as long as the putters share a similar hand feel, I don't see any issue opting for a different mold. My confidence is definitely higher with the Scale VS the Wizard when it's windy, vise versa when it's calm.

FACELIFT----------BACKDOWN
My memory aid to wind putting.

I love to putt in a headwind (wind in my FACE), which has a tendency to LIFT your putt. Low putt just above the cage, straight, slightly nose down, flat release with some steam. Put it on line and hope.

I do not love tail wind (wind at my BACK), which has a tendency to knock your putt DOWN. I often struggle to convince my putting brain to shoot that high over the top of the basket. Aim high, straight, flat release with some steam. Put it on line and hope for a short come back.

I won't stray from my putting putter very often. I have resorted to putting upside down at times though.

No magic in any putter or disc. Always comes down to a game plan and execution. Archer>Arrow.

I used to switch my putter if the wind was crazy. Now I just use my normal putter but I'm just really careful to keep it flat and give it a little juice. Any nose down, nose up, or hyzer/anhyzer angle will wreck a putt in the wind. Keeping the putt flat and level helps a lot.

I love putting with a rhyno (pig works too) in winds over 10mph. Wind affects it a lot less than my normal aviar. It is more over stable so I put a little anny on it or aim right.

Have also found more spin and/or more power helps fight through wind. But don't miss. :)

It's been really windy what seems like every time I play the last couple of months, and my putting definitely suffers in the wind.

How windy does it have to be before you switch to something besides your normal putter, and what do you switch to?

Do you switch your stance (straddle vs inline)?

Does a steady wind (vs a gusty wind) affect your answer?
Over 10mph I start making adjustments to my putting. More spin (move thumb more to the front edge) plus adjusting nose angle/slight hyzer & anhyzer to keep top flight plate receiving the wind initially. Aiming points on the basket move L/R based on crosswinds and Up/Down based on tail/headwind. Downhill I've started going to straddle.

I usually carry a Rhyno/Pig/Toro/Gator for different approaches and have tried out each for higher uncertainty headwind putts (15+ mph or gusty). Pig/Rhyno are R-Pro and Gator/Toro in premium blends. I like the thumbtrack for headwinds and think it helps to get my thumb better placed for nose down and higher spin. I try the regular putter (BB Aviar) flipped upside down for layups. I generally lower my range to within 15-20ft and in for 'going for' headwind putts when its really windy.

I love putting with a rhyno (pig works too) in winds over 10mph. Wind affects it a lot less than my normal aviar. It is more over stable so I put a little anny on it or aim right.

Have also found more spin and/or more power helps fight through wind. But don't miss. :)

I've experienced jamming them in from closer range getting kind of a backboard effect off the pole/chains and bouncing straight back out with strong headwinds (flat or nose up on entry to the basket). Prioritize being nose down and low over the basket so it rebounds into the basket and have enough pace to clear the rim.

Last spring in howling winds, I used an FD3 to putt on occasion. I also permanently switched my entire putting style to a flatter release and spin-heavy spush putt.

FACELIFT----------BACKDOWN
My memory aid to wind putting.

I love to putt in a headwind (wind in my FACE), which has a tendency to LIFT your putt. Low putt just above the cage, straight, slightly nose down, flat release with some steam. Put it on line and hope.

I do not love tail wind (wind at my BACK), which has a tendency to knock your putt DOWN. I often struggle to convince my putting brain to shoot that high over the top of the basket. Aim high, straight, flat release with some steam. Put it on line and hope for a short come back.

I won't stray from my putting putter very often. I have resorted to putting upside down at times though.

No magic in any putter or disc. Always comes down to a game plan and execution. Archer>Arrow.

Vice versa if you putt nose down.

When it's really windy, I'll switch to a Zone.
In years past, I've practiced putting into heavy winds with the upside down putter. It works, but is really funky & takes some getting used to, so I've never made a habit of doing it.

Hole 7 at my home course. I wouldn't say it's windy like this all of the time but let's just say that when I show up and it's windy I'm not surprised. Don't know who these guys are (just a video off YouTube) but I've seen a ton of people struggle putting in the wind on this course over the years.

https://youtu.be/ySJebZNAFVw

Vice versa if you putt nose down.

Yeah, I thought that once I posted it. I don't really putt nose down. I am a pure spin putter and a flat release, focusing on making SURE the nose is not left up, is a better description.

This is my exact situation...long-time aviar user, and finally picked up a rhyno after a extraordinarily windy day. It works really well.

in winds of 25mph today, I was using a TL. not putting like a 14mph day, but experimenting with a fairway is worth a try.

Latest posts