• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

Nice pickup. I can see these fetching a couple hundo in a few years, plus from what i hear they fly awesome. I've only ever thrown my one s line

These discs have been out forever, 6 years I believe. They won't ever be $100. People sell them for 17$ on dgcr, knowing they're first runs.

For both of them, the thing I noticed immediately was the increased glide. I haven't read too many reviews on other people's experiences, but G-Star/Line plastic has some awesome glide. In terms of glide and distance potential I'd rank them from lowest to highest: C-Line, S-Line, G-Line.

In terms of stability, I've found G-Line to be the least stable of the three also.

The more overstable a disc, the more spin is required to keep it gliding. I've found the same order of stability c s then g. I doubt g has more glide. It just requires less spin to keep from hyzering out. Someone with adequate power to throw a c 400 ft flat will find a g to flip with the same throw.

I found this little patent-tooled beauty at GGGT a few weeks ago.
So the patent-tooled c-lines are CFR?

Attachments

• cpd.jpg
    cpd.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 69
They are, yes. Kodachrome told me about that one (my choice weight and color) a couple weeks ago, and I forgot to call them to buy it. Nice grab!!

It's funny you say that, because he wandered into the store about 15 minutes after I got there. I was standing by the Discmania stuff, and already had it in my hand, when he said he had seen a patent-tooled one in there and had mentioned it to you.
Disc golf is indeed a small world. :)

I've only thrown it a few times yet, but it seems to have less high speed turn (like, none) and maybe slightly earlier fade than the C-PD+s that I've been throwing.

Sorry I stole your PD. :)

I'm glad it went to a good home and is getting thrown. It would've just gone into my backup pile had I bought it.

That's the exact same experience I've had with mine. No turn (even had very little in 40mph winds) and early fade. If it didn't have the patented PD forward fade, I would think it was a domey Firebird. The orange 168 DGR stamp I have in my bag now has been in there since they were originally on sale, and it still isn't turning for me. It only gets pulled when I have to add a new S-Line to start seasoning (with three in the sweet spot that isn't happening again for a long time). It is starting to fade later though so maybe it's time to add another...

^^^ Yeah, I put this new one in the bag when I lost my C-PD+ recently. Again, only a handful of throws, but it's not the same disc. I'll have to throw it alongside my other plusses (and the one on the way - thanks!) and figure out which one I want to bag.

Although, I really want to try a Gstar one. Hope that production run is coming. (I know it won't replace a C-line, I just love Gstar drivers, and maybe it would replace the P-lines.)

I'm in love with my G* TB, but I find myself not wanting to throw my G-PD in place of my P-Line for some reason (beyond it being silver). That may change when I can throw with less fear of loss, but as it is, my G-Line is just added weight in the bag.

Are patent-tooled S-lines an earlier run? I picked one up last week. The PLH is much higher than my P-PD. Looking at them side by side, it doesn't even look like the same mold (I am sure they are, just surprised at the large variance in how the two plastics cool).

Are patent-tooled S-lines an earlier run? I picked one up last week. The PLH is much higher than my P-PD. Looking at them side by side, it doesn't even look like the same mold (I am sure they are, just surprised at the large variance in how the two plastics cool).

Yes.

Yes the pat # pds are older runs. However with the s lines,there are a couple diff molds floating around. The current mold with the anhyzer top or "pd" top. Its curved and resembles a tb/eagle type top. Then there is the test run/original molded pd with the other top,(not sure on correct name for it. This top is more square and resembles more of a firebird and they are more os than the refular top spd's. That could be what you are looking at and why it looks so different

From reading earlier posts in this thread, looks like this is the test configuration S-PD. The nose is much more blunt than the P-PD despite being 6 grams lighter. I was surprised when my first few throws with it dumped even harder than the C-PD+ that I had, makes sense now.

Yeah basically one has a flat wing sorta like a Vulcan top destroyer. Those are beeftastic and not pd proper. Most pd are the real deal though, and will fly like a pd should-straight with fade, albeit how long they travel straight depends on the plh. Many patent number spd I see have higher plh, making them good wind fighters out of the box.

Was there no prototype run of GPD? I'm considering getting a G or a P to be my eventual turnover disc. I'm just curious which one would break in faster because my G Destroyer hasn't broken in much at all..

Not sure about PDs but the G-Star Teebirds broke in a little faster than regular star Teebirds. Despite that, I think a P-PD would be your best bet. When the first run of GStar Teebirds was released, I ordered two and they had a significant difference in PLH. If you get a G-PD with a high PLH, it could take a long time before it becomes a turnover disc for you.

And there was a first run of GPD's available at the Discmania factory store around the middle of May.

Latest posts