• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pro forehand distance

How many times a round does one have to throw 400+ feet? Seriously. Im not saying its not an advantage to be able to throw over 400 feet both ways. But they're are alot of sponsored 1000+ rated guys that dont! These guys are esp. good because They play/practice constantly meaning they are consistent and they stay out of trouble.... You Dont See Paul,Will and Dave uncorking huge forehand shots do you?

Why is there ALWAYS a idiot who comes into distance threads and teeling us that we dont really need distance.

Get out, noodle arm. Try playing any of the big guys you mentioned and see how far your noodle gets you. Your jaelous rants have nothing to do with the topic.

Boy I hate those idiots.

strained my face so hard i pooped my pants angry.

Ive realized a few things since Ive been at work this morning. Im an ID10T (I kinda figured), Michael Jo and I have "Noodle" arms and Poop jokes make me laugh out loud in front of customers! :hfive:

Ive realized a few things since Ive been at work this morning. Im an ID10T (I kinda figured), Michael Jo and I have "Noodle" arms and Poop jokes make me laugh out loud in front of customers! :hfive:

I do have a noodle arm and poop jokes are great

Arent FH prone to injuries? Seems like that comes up a lot on this forum. For a while now I've been developing my LHBH as BH just gets more D and you dont have to worry about injuring your arm. STill use sidearm for a few shots here and there but it just seems BH on both arms is optimal for accuracy and distance as well as being less likely to injure urself. Plus I can throw a neutral or understable disc for **** with my FH.

Arent FH prone to injuries? Seems like that comes up a lot on this forum. For a while now I've been developing my LHBH as BH just gets more D and you dont have to worry about injuring your arm. STill use sidearm for a few shots here and there but it just seems BH on both arms is optimal for accuracy and distance as well as being less likely to injure urself. Plus I can throw a neutral or understable disc for **** with my FH.

Not done correctly. Mark Ellis had to develop a FH because he couldn't throw BH anymore. He's still going. Big Jerm's is effortless and I think he could do it forever without injuring himself

Only if your throwing super OS, anny'ing the crap out of it, and using only the arm. I throw about 85% of my shots rhfh, distance drives in the 340' range and have no injuries to speak of.

I'd venture to guess that the majority of injury in regards to throwing any style is more related to poor form rather than forehand or backhand.

I think it's almost like BH in that a smaller group of players
can throw really far.

At our course here in Eugene, Avery was throwing 600' forehands
and Wysoki throws that far with FH, too. However, most probaly throw 400' - 450'.

But if a lot of them tried as hard as they could, I"ll bet they'd hit 500'.

Interesting opinions on the FH injury rate. I'd love to think that FH doesn't cause much injuries as I'm sooooo much better at RHFH then my LHBH but FH just seems unnatural even tho Im a beast at it next to my LHBH. Anyone got stats or anything on it?

Went golfing today and my LHBH is horrible for long range but getting great at approach shots. Having the pro above a few posts up confirm it for me seems like I'm on track tho.

I threw 325' forehands in the 1990s with slightly beaten Whippets, X-Clones and later, Banshees. Felt 'pins and needles' in my elbow and quit throwing them for big drives. It only took 10 years to be able to throw RHBHs as far, and by then, all the young studs had the new Wraiths to outdrive me by 100'...

I'd venture to guess that the majority of injury in regards to throwing any style is more related to poor form rather than forehand or backhand.

Yeah i think so too. If people would throw backhands with as poor form as they murder their forehands, we would have more backhand injuries too ^^

I agree with the statements "not when thrown correctly." - However: It only takes one throw, and it is much easier to throw a forehand incorrectly and hurt yourself than a backhand. There's something inherently "full body" about the backhand - if you don't put your body into it, you noodle arm the crap out of it and just don't get the arm speed to hurt yourself. You're probably more apt to hurt your back than your arm throwing a backhand, but you're also unlikely to develop a throw that involves that much torque on the back without learning to use the rest of the body to compensate.

With a forehand you can start getting more and more pop in the throw without using your legs and wind up putting undue strain on the arm. And even if you do have amazing form - just one careless throw with your elbow out away from your body and your shoulder is blown.

Trust me on it - I had a solid forehand form, was getting very comfortable 450'+ (right at 450' straight golf line) with my elbow in and using my legs. But just ONE time I let my form get loose and my elbow away from my body and it felt like someone stabbed me in the shoulder, disc flew about 50 feet. Torn rotator cuff - luckily a small acute tear. Just one mistake. When I started throwing FH again about 9 months later I was getting 350' max. I'm absolutely maxing out at 425' now to be honest - and thats with a perfect S-Curve. I'm just starting to touch 400' with a golf line, and that is still a struggle and requires perfect feel to get.

Backhand - you've got a lot more leeway. Forehand? One loose throw and there goes the shoulder.

I think you're just as likely to injure your self throwing backhand as you are throwing forehand. It goes without saying that having both techniques at one's disposal is advantages... and I for one want a 400'+ forehand, as well as a 400'+ backhand, for that matter. Who wouldn't? To not want extra distance is blasphemy or bull****.

Last year at worlds ricky and paul were crushing 400+ footers through the woods, I seen them take birdies while the backhanders struggled, taking bogies. Those strokes add up quickly and they have a huge advantage with such shots.

this on the 400 foot holes tough to get the late turn. even if you get to the area you are still 45 out while the forehand skips naturally to the basket. easier shot to repeat....IF you have that skill. Backhand harder to get that string of birdies in the woods. makes a lot of duece or die holes.

but forehand 330 is something Dave from innova does without more than one step. so 400 for pros is cake if they work at it.