• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Masters World championship

Just curious. Do you guys actually care that much about masters worlds. I love watching disc golf yet I don't care at all to watch the masters play or even follow their scores that intently.

Typically no...BUT..when you have guys like Feldberg, McCray, Shultz who can compete with the better open players I like to watch the coverage. I also like to watch the higher rated 50+ guys since they're in my own age group and I can analyze what they're capable of compared to myself.

Kenny Lee tied with Dr. Rick going into Final 9. Kenny going for his 1st title, Dr. Rick, his 10th.

These events can be a big nostalgia kick, but on the other hand I see Crazy John at 21st in +50. Didn't even make the semifinal round. Dude was such a great player in the day but his knees are gone and he just can't compete anymore, even in an age-protected field. It's a damn shame. Back in the day in my area he was the guy to beat everywhere he went.

If nobody else films the FP40 final nine (only four throws separate the top two), then I will. I'll be there anyway, as I'm married to the current leader.

I don't know why but got a kick out of the last line! :D I too am hoping this gets video'd and shown on YT, at least the lead card.

As a Masters age player you bet I do.

I second that! I have more in common with the masters age players, skill-wise, than I could ever hope to have with the regular FPO players even though most of the masters guys could still handily hand my arse to me shooting a round!

Masters is way more entertaining and competitive than fpo. Paige wins just about everything in fpo, to the point that it is not interesting to watch because it is not a contest. And then when she doesn't win she blames it on poor course design . Fpo courses need to be tailored to the fpo skill set.

I don't know why but got a kick out of the last line! :D I too am hoping this gets video'd and shown on YT, at least the lead card.

A funny thing happened the evening before the FP40 final nine. Terry (The Disc Golf Guy) Miller's in town shooting video here and there around the tournament, so as a courtesy I reached out to him and asked if it would be a bother if I followed FP40 and filmed the whole round on my own with my super-low-tech gear, in order to make a full video with post-produced commentary and such of my own. I didn't want to step on any toes or get in the way.

He counter-offered to let me use one of his pro cameras to do the shooting, and to collaborate on the project. <3

I'm no pro videographer, (I was a still photographer 25 years ago when film was still a thing, including sports photography), so the video footage in the can is a bit naff, but workable. The plan is for me and Kimberly (the world champ in the video) to do the commentary for the round once it's edited.

A funny thing happened the evening before the FP40 final nine. Terry (The Disc Golf Guy) Miller's in town shooting video here and there around the tournament, so as a courtesy I reached out to him and asked if it would be a bother if I followed FP40 and filmed the whole round on my own with my super-low-tech gear, in order to make a full video with post-produced commentary and such of my own. I didn't want to step on any toes or get in the way.

He counter-offered to let me use one of his pro cameras to do the shooting, and to collaborate on the project. <3

I'm no pro videographer, (I was a still photographer 25 years ago when film was still a thing, including sports photography), so the video footage in the can is a bit naff, but workable. The plan is for me and Kimberly (the world champ in the video) to do the commentary for the round once it's edited.

Very cool! And I doubt that your video quality will be worse than some others I have seen from supposedly more professional postings on YT. Your efforts are appreciated and I will, at some point in the near future no doubt, be watching your video coverage of this final round :thmbup::D

Very cool! And I doubt that your video quality will be worse than some others I have seen from supposedly more professional postings on YT. Your efforts are appreciated and I will, at some point in the near future no doubt, be watching your video coverage of this final round :thmbup::D

The audio's in the can, so soon-ish.

As an older guy, yeah, I do enjoy watching them.

Yeah, the young guns have all the glitz and glory, but watching guys be technical is closer to my game, so I appreciate it. Love watching guys like MJ and Barry!

FPO is something I could care less to watch. All this hubbub about growing women's disc golf? I don't think it's ever going to be anything besides a small minority sideline. Not that it shouldn't be pursued, just speaking from observation, but women's sports in general are just not that big.

There is a huge untapped market potential in the masters/grand masters players. They have more time and discretionary income. Lots of them are past sports enthusiasts who still may want to do something besides watch, and lots are past golfers who gave up chasing white balls.

Just my thoughts.

MJ the Discraft player even plays in open if the better tournaments does not have good masters at the tournament and has finished in the top 10 at Most of these events.

The other Masters are ones that wanted to play golf but the game is just something they do not want to spend that much money on or can't play as much as they want so they found a cheaper alternative.

I play Disc Golf though not a masters player, due to being frustrated with the putting part of Golf.

Last edited:
Why were there only 4 competitors in women's 40+? Interesting that Des and Elaine King didn't play here and opted for Worlds.

MJ the Discraft player even plays in open if the better tournaments does not have good masters at the tournament and has finished in the top 10 at Most of these events.

The other Masters are ones that wanted to play golf but the game is just something they do not want to spend that much money on or can't play as much as they want so they found a cheaper alternative.

I play Disc Golf though not a masters player, due to being frustrated with the putting part of Golf.

MJ is not a masters aged player till next year...

How much more of this guy is needed before he gets the boot?