• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Masters World championship

Why were there only 4 competitors in women's 40+? Interesting that Des and Elaine King didn't play here and opted for Worlds.

It could be any one of a number of reasons:

Scheduling: Ledgestone ended the Sunday before, leaving just one day off before play began at Worlds on Tuesday. The MVP Open at Maple Hill is this coming weekend out on the east coast.

Perception: Kansas City has a reputation for terrific courses with ancient baskets. Two of the four courses in play (Waterworks and Rosedale) still have Mach III baskets. This is especially rough at WW because the course is notorious for roll-aways, so a spit-through can lead to a brutal roll-away.

Location: Kansas City is centrally located in North America, but while it is equally convenient from all directions, it is by the inverse perspective also equally inconvenient from all directions. East and West coast players have to travel a long way to attend.

Injuries: I think Des is still working on that hurt shoulder. I'm not sure.

Time zones: This one got me. The registration was scheduled to close at 12:01 am eastern time on a Friday. That is 11:01 pm on Thursday for me. Late Thursday night I decided to sign up before the registration closed, and to my dismay, had missed the cut-off. It was 11:15pm. Oops. :eek:

It could be any one of a number of reasons:

Scheduling: Ledgestone ended the Sunday before, leaving just one day off before play began at Worlds on Tuesday. The MVP Open at Maple Hill is this coming weekend out on the east coast.

Perception: Kansas City has a reputation for terrific courses with ancient baskets. Two of the four courses in play (Waterworks and Rosedale) still have Mach III baskets. This is especially rough at WW because the course is notorious for roll-aways, so a spit-through can lead to a brutal roll-away.

Location: Kansas City is centrally located in North America, but while it is equally convenient from all directions, it is by the inverse perspective also equally inconvenient from all directions. East and West coast players have to travel a long way to attend.

Injuries: I think Des is still working on that hurt shoulder. I'm not sure.

Time zones: This one got me. The registration was scheduled to close at 12:01 am eastern time on a Friday. That is 11:01 pm on Thursday for me. Late Thursday night I decided to sign up before the registration closed, and to my dismay, had missed the cut-off. It was 11:15pm. Oops. :eek:

This would be the most pathetic reason for not playing a tournament. Damn, I cannot believe any player could be this entitled.

"Perception: Kansas City has a reputation for terrific courses with ancient baskets. Two of the four courses in play (Waterworks and Rosedale) still have Mach III baskets. This is especially rough at WW because the course is notorious for roll-aways, so a spit-through can lead to a brutal roll-away."

This would be the most pathetic reason for not playing a tournament. Damn, I cannot believe any player could be this entitled.

Doesn't seem anything like an entitlement issue to me. I don't know, would you work at a job for commission only where the tools you are supplied with to do your job could be faulty causing you the potential to lose income? Surely pros have the right to evaluate and choose the best opportunities to earn their living.

"Perception: Kansas City has a reputation for terrific courses with ancient baskets. Two of the four courses in play (Waterworks and Rosedale) still have Mach III baskets. This is especially rough at WW because the course is notorious for roll-aways, so a spit-through can lead to a brutal roll-away."

Doesn't seem anything like an entitlement issue to me. I don't know, would you work at a job for commission only where the tools you are supplied with to do your job could be faulty causing you the potential to lose income? Surely pros have the right to evaluate and choose the best opportunities to earn their living.

I suppose anyone could try to shoehorn some analogy to present a counterpoint, and you are entitled to think that Mach III are a legit reason for not playing a particular tournament.

Screw that, I am not playing X tournament.....too many Pines. Love me some Maples, Oaks, Ash and Poplar......but Pines ruin my game. Cut down all the Pines.

Everyone in a tournament plays the same baskets. Not playing a tournament because they don't have the money to supply the baskets you want, smacks of entitlement.

Sorry for the snarkiness. Boss has my undies all bunched.

I suppose anyone could try to shoehorn some analogy to present a counterpoint, and you are entitled to think that Mach III are a legit reason for not playing a particular tournament.

Screw that, I am not playing X tournament.....too many Pines. Love me some Maples, Oaks, Ash and Poplar......but Pines ruin my game. Cut down all the Pines.

Every pro making a living at disc golf does not have the same skill set, physically or mentally. When you gamble on your own abilities, you have to take everything into consideration.

Every pro making a living at disc golf does not have the same skill set, physically or mentally. When you gamble on your own abilities, you have to take everything into consideration.

Sorry. Not buying that players in FP40 (that's the division being discussed, not pros in general) would decide to skip a World Championship because of the style of basket on a couple of the courses. All the other reasons, including the others Nova P mentions...finances, distance, timing, scheduling, injury, etc...make all the sense in the world. Sometimes things just don't work out.

But if all else is lined up and good to go for a player, baskets shouldn't change the equation. Particularly Mach IIIs. It's been a championship level basket for 20+ years. It's still a perfectly acceptable target for a World Championship today. If your game (mental and physical) is weak enough that a particular model of basket is influencing your decisions on where and when to play tournaments, you deserve to be mocked (in a good natured way).

But if all else is lined up and good to go for a player, baskets shouldn't change the equation. Particularly Mach IIIs. It's been a championship level basket for 20+ years. It's still a perfectly acceptable target for a World Championship today. If your game (mental and physical) is weak enough that a particular model of basket is influencing your decisions on where and when to play tournaments, you deserve to be mocked (in a good natured way).

I'm not saying its a valid excuse but not all MachIIIs are equal. Once they start getting old, they can be some of the worst baskets out there, especially if the cages and chain assemblies aren't given due maintenance. Just ask anyone who has played at Belmont or the Hambrick in the last few years before they got new baskets...:sick:

I'm not saying its a valid excuse but not all MachIIIs are equal. Once they start getting old, they can be some of the worst baskets out there, especially if the cages and chain assemblies aren't given due maintenance. Just ask anyone who has played at Belmont or the Hambrick in the last few years before they got new baskets...:sick:

Broken baskets are a different story, no matter the model. If they're old and broken, doesn't matter if they're Mach I or Mach X or anything in between. Broken is broken. Shouldn't happen at a Worlds though. Part of the approval process to host is the PDGA sending a course inspection team to review the courses. Broken/worn out baskets would immediately go on the list of things to fix. Plain old Mach IIIs that were intact and functioning normally would not.

Agree it's probably not 'the baskets'. As for MkIIIs, for those who don't "like them", learn how to putt 'softer'! Oh, don't feel like learning a new skill / trying to adapt to 'a changing environment' (which IS part of "golf's challenge"), then suffer the consequences.

If you tried to putt "softer" into the baskets I was referring to, the disc would either and bounce off the chains or hit the chains, fall onto the rim of the basket, and then hit the ground. The best way to make shots on them was to throw nose down, not softer.

bb, if the shoe fits...
...but in general, we've been putting at Rutgers' MkIs for decades NOSE UP - and they catch just fine. If you "dial it back"...and if you don't you blow through. I have no sympathy for players who try to fit a round peg in a square hole and complain that the hole is the wrong shape....

Mach IIIs: Personally, I don't mind them. I've played on them so often that I know how to putt into them without issues. However, I mentioned them in my list two pages back because while I don't mind them, I hear people slag on Mach III baskets all the time, so I figured it could be a factor.

The final nine video is up! The camera work on holes 1-3 is not great, but I learned in a hurry! Commentary is by me and Kimberly Giannola, who is one of the two players featured in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6rfX1tfN0

Now she's gonna want you to film all her rounds. Good luck charm.