• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy sues Gannon sues Prodigy

He is coming of a great year and wanted to capitalize on that, and possibly get out of throwing discs he wasn't fond of. Whatever.

I think the lawsuit is prodigy wanting to get money out of whomever ends up cutting him the new deal.

The issue with "how much money is enough for pros" mindset is that 90% of the guys on the road don't make enough for insurance, savings or much beyond covering tour cost.

I think he should have sucked it up and finished his contract out, but if he genuinely was promised things outside of that contract that prodigy couldn't deliver I don't blame him for trying to get out either.

Don't forget, we aren't talking huge numbers with Gannon either. They didn't even pay him a $500 bonus until he asked for it.

$500?? I don't see how GB could've possibly spent all that money in even one lifetime and somehow he's complaining. :facepalm:

Rule #1 of being an employer, and I am...

Always make sure the guys get paid. Don't f with a guys paycheque, don't even joke about it.

Little slivers of problems can become big bones of contention.

For sure. Even a slight delay can lead to good people deciding they're better off working somewhere else. It's the most fundamental thing: pay your people what you agreed to pay them, when you agreed to pay it.

Exactly. There was a tough time or two I didn't cash my own checks so my staffs could clear...

Rule #2 is keep your staff happy. If they are happy to work with/for you everything better. Production, morale, job retention, even quality of applicants go up when it's obvious that the staff it happy... When happy staff is ready to move on they leave happy as well.

I don't think prodigy has done great with rule #2 either.

Exactly. There was a tough time or two I didn't cash my own checks so my staffs could clear...

Rule #2 is keep your staff happy. If they are happy to work with/for you everything's better.....

I see your "not cashing your own paycheque" and raise you $10K into my personal line of credit to make a month of Payroll. :D

I fully agree with rule #2, people will take less money and be just as loyal if the job/boss is good and they feel like a valued member of the team.

Disc golf as a sponsored player is on the cusp of great things. Players will be jealous of the big contracts and I bet there is likely a lot of the old attitude out there.

"We'll sponsor you to throw our stuff but we're only giving you $500 a year, 5 free discs and a free shirt... Now go out there and win a World's for us"

For sure. Even a slight delay can lead to good people deciding they're better off working somewhere else. It's the most fundamental thing: pay your people what you agreed to pay them, when you agreed to pay it.

Yup. I've gone through this before with details in my contract not being fulfilled by the employer. Started looking immediately. I must've not been the only one, because co-workers started dropping like flies.

"We'll sponsor you to throw our stuff but we're only giving you $500 a year, 5 free discs and a free shirt... Now go out there and win a World's for us"

Win a few of em and we will put your name on a disc and give ya 3 nickels for every one we sell! Wait you're a girl?... Maybe, win another and we will see?

As someone who admires Gannon's skills, and likes the personality he shows in Alden Harris' YT videos, I admit a bias toward Gannon.

Also, as someone who's bought 20+ Prodigy discs over the last five years and has gifted/donated/sold them because they were pushed out of my bag, I admit a bias against Prodigy (don't even get me started about how they overuse the "great disc for all levels" claim....).

But, having watched the discgolf.law guy's video about the suits and claims, I am tending to think the problem starts with Gannon (and/or his advisors). He wanted out of a legally binding contract based on claims that Prodigy appears to have addressed.

When Gannon didn't get what he wanted (being released), he went public with additional claims (remember, disc manufacture quality is not within the "four corners" of the contract. It's fair to assume that the products will be of acceptable quality, but that's not something within the specifics of the contract, as reported).

When Gannon went public, Prodigy felt the need to respond for the record. Granted, their response was not effective. I think they made the right decision to present their side - but jeez, the way they did it they made it into a whole different sideshow.

I agree that neither party is blameless, and how they each "behave" in the coming weeks (or the whole season) will be critical. They both have brands to protect.

Gannon didn't get what he wanted, and went public with complaints.
Prodigy responded defensively.

Even though my biases remain intact, both of them need to step it back a bit and think about long term consequences of what they do and what they say. Gannon's good for disc golf. So is Prodigy, especially in Europe.

As someone who admires Gannon's skills, and likes the personality he shows in Alden Harris' YT videos, I admit a bias toward Gannon.

Also, as someone who's bought 20+ Prodigy discs over the last five years and has gifted/donated/sold them because they were pushed out of my bag, I admit a bias against Prodigy (don't even get me started about how they overuse the "great disc for all levels" claim....).

But, having watched the discgolf.law guy's video about the suits and claims, I am tending to think the problem starts with Gannon (and/or his advisors). He wanted out of a legally binding contract based on claims that Prodigy appears to have addressed.

When Gannon didn't get what he wanted (being released), he went public with additional claims (remember, disc manufacture quality is not within the "four corners" of the contract. It's fair to assume that the products will be of acceptable quality, but that's not something within the specifics of the contract, as reported).

When Gannon went public, Prodigy felt the need to respond for the record. Granted, their response was not effective. I think they made the right decision to present their side - but jeez, the way they did it they made it into a whole different sideshow.

I agree that neither party is blameless, and how they each "behave" in the coming weeks (or the whole season) will be critical. They both have brands to protect.

Gannon didn't get what he wanted, and went public with complaints.
Prodigy responded defensively.

Even though my biases remain intact, both of them need to step it back a bit and think about long term consequences of what they do and what they say. Gannon's good for disc golf. So is Prodigy, especially in Europe.

There are a few mentions of "going public"...what did he go public with? I feel like I missed something because the only complaints I saw him make were in a private email with Prodigy. Prodigy made nearly everything public with their lawsuit and inclusion of exhibits. I didn't see much/anything to speak to their relationship being sour prior to that point.

There are a few mentions of "going public"...what did he go public with? I feel like I missed something because the only complaints I saw him make were in a private email with Prodigy. Prodigy made nearly everything public with their lawsuit and inclusion of exhibits. I didn't see much/anything to speak to their relationship being sour prior to that point.

I agree that I didn't see much about the relationship being sour (I even remember the video late in the season where he and Alden were making shots exclaiming "This is for Shusterick!").

I may be mistaken that he went public with his complaints. I was thinking of his "I'm leaving" video, which was positive (and a bit ballsy). I'm not sure how the record of his complaints about payment, disc quality, commemorative discs, etc. became public knowledge. It was a private email, but I'm not sure who made it public. If they weren't made public initially by Gannon and/or his team, I might be wrong. If Prodigy made it public in an attempt to show it had cured all the claimed breaches, then I'd add that to my feeling that they've responded in ways that add heat not light. Thanks - I'll pay more attention as this continues to unwind.

I agree that I didn't see much about the relationship being sour (I even remember the video late in the season where he and Alden were making shots exclaiming "This is for Shusterick!").

I may be mistaken that he went public with his complaints. I was thinking of his "I'm leaving" video, which was positive (and a bit ballsy). I'm not sure how the record of his complaints about payment, disc quality, commemorative discs, etc. became public knowledge. It was a private email, but I'm not sure who made it public. If they weren't made public initially by Gannon and/or his team, I might be wrong. If Prodigy made it public in an attempt to show it had cured all the claimed breaches, then I'd add that to my feeling that they've responded in ways that add heat not light. Thanks - I'll pay more attention as this continues to unwind.

Prodigy made it public. It "became" public not because they said "hey look at this"...but just because it was part of their court filing. They filed in court, attached exhibits to present their case, and the court filings become public record.

That's part of why I thought it was rather interesting that they would sue. Not only do they get the bad press of suing a player who is 17...but as part of that lawsuit they bring to light that Gannon had the same issues/complaints with Prodigy that are the worst stereotypes of Prodigy and their treatment of players and quality of plastic.

It's possible that Prodigy saw what MVP did for Simon (paying $1 million to get him out of his contract), so Prodigy is saying 'fine...if another company wants Gannon, it will cost $1.5 million to get him out of his contract'.

I could see some validity to that, especially if the contract didn't have a buyout clause. They're publicly setting the price, even though I think most people would agree they've done a large amount of reputation damage in the process.

He won't get a Simon sized deal, and doesn't move nearly as much plastic as Simon or Paul. I could see them settling out of court for like 3-500k…that 1.5 number is a starting point for negotiations.

gannon should just play out this year. its like 9months (and actually less probably 6-7months in DG major/NT schedule wise).

hell he should try to play his best and win a ton and majors too.... follow the trend of "quiet quitting" and just play it out and put up good playing numbers/wins.

it'll save discmania a lot of money too.... hell he can then maybe get a bidding war going with a MVP or someone else too.

do a bunch of youtube videos of trading bags with other pros where he throws innova/MVP/Trilogy/etc.

make the: The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread, interesting early!

Latest posts