• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy sues Gannon sues Prodigy

its not over, correction on the bottom said theyre still at war

They issued a correction that the lawsuit is NOT dropped. Prodigy just dropped the restraining order and injunction piece that was seeking to put a stop to Gannon signing with other companies...presumably because both sides agreed he would keep playing for Prodigy for the time being until things are resolved.

The article does not actually say that they dropped the lawsuit.

It did initially, they did a correction when only the TRO & Injunction piece were known to be the pieces that dropped. At first it said all of it was dropped.

It did initially, they did a correction when only the TRO & Injunction piece were known to be the pieces that dropped. At first it said all of it was dropped.

The article also said that Prodigy reserves the right to reinstate the temp restraining order if the need arises in the future.

The article also said that Prodigy reserves the right to reinstate the temp restraining order if the need arises in the future.

I know what you're saying, but just in the interest of clarity, they reserve the right to refile the motion. The TRO hasn't been instated (to my knowledge), so they can't reinstate it...they can just refile to request it again.

Are they dropping the restraining order because they've reached some kind of buyout agreement with Gannon's new sponsor?

Main lawsuit stays in place until buyout is finalized and then gets dropped?

I know what you're saying, but just in the interest of clarity, they reserve the right to refile the motion. The TRO hasn't been instated (to my knowledge), so they can't reinstate it...they can just refile to request it again.

Yes this was my understanding as well. They reserve the right to refile the request if needed. Bad wording in my part....

Both parties probably realize this is lose-lose and just wish it did not exist. Lawyers have no stake in this game, other than billable hours. A good lawyer says make it go away. Cheaper in the long run.

Both parties probably realize this is lose-lose and just wish it did not exist. Lawyers have no stake in this game, other than billable hours. A good lawyer says make it go away. Cheaper in the long run.

If I had to guess...from Gannon's perspective the benefit of signing with someone else now now now was much less than the potential damages he would have to pay if the lawsuit didn't go his way. Given that, he may have decided to just play under Prodigy until the lawsuit was decided...which means the TRO wasn't really necessary any more.

It's a bit interesting that he underlying lawsuit didn't go away though. It's hard to imagine Gannon making a sponsor change mid-season and learning a new bag on-the-fly. And from Prodigy's perspective it seems a lot tougher to collect damages on "he said he's leaving but he didn't actually leave" compared to what the monetary damages might have actually been if he'd really left.

There was a clause written that the loser pays all attorney fees, so… depends on who's feeling confident. Probably played a role that Prodigy was getting more bad press than Buhr (from online comments I saw), and P has more to lose in the long run in customer base.

The restraining order portion was claimed due to an eminent threat so it follows that it was dropped. And it worked to keep Buhr. I can't imagine his disc sales are what they were before the lawsuit though

And it worked to keep Buhr. I can't imagine his disc sales are what they were before the lawsuit though

It can't be much - he only has 3 molds and I've never seen them promote him beyond being among their other pros in a montage commercial.

Wonder what the new potential sponsor is thinking right now?

If Gannon continues to play for Prodigy until the court stuff is taken care of and continues to play well you don't think he's gonna try to ask for more when it's time to actually sign a deal?

Wonder what the new potential sponsor is thinking right now?

If Gannon continues to play for Prodigy until the court stuff is taken care of and continues to play well you don't think he's gonna try to ask for more when it's time to actually sign a deal?

Yes. He is 17 and not just completing but beating hallmark competitors. He is easily identifiable as one of the current and future (like 20-30 years) faces of disc golf. His services will be highly sought out. If the trajectory of the sport and his abilities continue, he will probably be the one to top McBeths current contract.

Yes. He is 17 and not just completing but beating hallmark competitors. He is easily identifiable as one of the current and future (like 20-30 years) faces of disc golf. His services will be highly sought out. If the trajectory of the sport and his abilities continue, he will probably be the one to top McBeths current contract.

GB still needs to prove that he can "move plastic".
PM doesn't get paid all that money because he's good, or because he wins. He gets the money because Discraft saw that he caused an increase in their sales.

Prodigy probably isn't the best indicator of his marketability…
When GB signs his new contract, my guess is that it will be heavily incentivized towards disc sales. If sales merit, he'll get guaranteed money, like PM, in a few years.
(Pure speculation warning:) )That's why Discmania makes sense. All indications are that their contracts are primarily sales-based.

Latest posts