• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Profitability: disc golf physical store / pay to play course?

apparition

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I wonder about this all the time because good disc golf shops are few and far between. I mean, based on seeing Altitude go out of business and selling discs "at cost" ($7-10) it has to be tough! If it didn't ruin the game, turning a profit by owning and operating a store like The Throw Shop (Ann Arbor), Disc Nation, DGC, DD, or whatever would be a dream. At $5-10/disc, though... I'd have to sell a ton to make what I am in my current profession. Does anyone know how profitable a physical storefront is/can be? How bout a good pay to play course?

TL;DR - How profitable is a dg store and/or pay to play course?

Last edited:
Yea discnation has about 10 or more online stores that say its something else but the layout is identical to discnation with another name on it.

You should ask Alan Peir. Had his own 32 hole course, manufactured his own baskets and STILL couldn't keep it going on his own land. Peiradise DGC, Peru, IN.

As for pay-to-play, if you averaged 20 players a day for a year at $5 a person, you would bring in $36,500. Now how much does it cost to maintain the course, how much is your mortgage on the land, etc? I'm guessing, not too profitable. And then you have the logistics as to whether or not your land is zoned to be able to charge people to play. Insurance, etc etc

It all has to do with foot traffic. If it's in a popular park with a well rated course, and with multiple layouts to maximize player diversity, located off a major road or near a city, it may do well. Wouldn't hurt to have an online store presence, so easy access to a shipping hub would be a plus. I know here in Indy, we have a major FedEx hub, so orders I make using FedEx arrive usually a day or two prior to estimated delivery date. If you're stuck out in BFE Nowhere, USA, you may have trouble getting by on rice and beans everyday.

I saw a closed down gas station across the street from a DG course. Gas and discs, or a dive/19th hole bar would be cool (but also a headache to run). Maybe getting a rape van and a sales permit would be the easiest way to sell discs at a physical location, or mix it up with an ice cream truck venture and just show up at DG courses. I think I'd only open up a shop so I could get first dibs at all the discs.

I know DGC sells other stuff, too. Interesting idea. Actually, the nearest store to me that sells discs other the Discraft and Innova is a smoke/headshop that sells base plastic for $14 and good plastics for $20+... (The Rabbit Hole, Saginaw, MI). If only they'd expand their lineup and lower their prices to something reasonable...

I know DGC sells other stuff, too. Interesting idea. Actually, the nearest store to me that sells discs other the Discraft and Innova is a smoke/headshop that sells base plastic for $14 and good plastics for $20+... (The Rabbit Hole, Saginaw, MI). If only they'd expand their lineup and lower their prices to something reasonable...

Those prices surprise me. Even a major sporting goods store could blow their business out of the water. That should tell you something though; as most large sporting goods barely carries much disc golf stuff if any at all.

Yeah, when I've talked to the owner it's very apparent he's not a savvy businessman. He was surprised when I told him his prices were too high. I mean, an opto Lat64 disc for $22?!

Anyway, I haven't gotten any responses from people I've messaged about profitability... In the last two months alone I've read about quite a few stores closing anyway.

I feel that the success of disc golf retailers will continue to be driven in two polarized directions. That's ok, it's that way in sooo many retail and service industries.

Either - go big with goals of online domination, competing at the bleeding edge of price point and acceptable service. (ok, thats not the OP goals with asking about physical stores, unless you consider the physical store homebase of an online giant)

or

Stay small and local/regional - go for a high service, high customization model. Owner/operator likely has to be the primary workforce and the main draw is the intangibles offered by the shop. Its a tough road, and likely means heavy hours undercompensated, but doable if its your passion.

Option one is tough as the market already has a few big players, but.. the small option can always be viable, IF... realistic business practices are considered. (I do think there is still room in the big boy online market for a well backed entrepreneur, so I don't think its locked out)

However, If you can't win on price, volume, or inventory, then by all means... concentrate on service added features like custom graphics, custom dye add-ons to your stock inventory, custom whatever. Become the place where club event sign ups happen, where info is dispersed,etc.

Another option to consider for the OP is finding ways of being "profitable" as a plastic retailer without losing the daytime income. Opportunities for a mobile or event traveling shop? Work out the recovery time to cover your investments though, could be very lossy at the start, in which case the day job will be invaluable for support. The small owner shop also doesn't offer many protections and benefits that employer jobs offer, so consider those risks and unseen costs.

What are all of the stores under the DiscNation umbrella?

Disc Nation
Disc Golf Store
Prime Discs
Disc Wholesalers

What I think is shady is if you type Marshallstreetdiscs.com it takes you to Prime discs.
If you type Discgolfoutfitters it takes you to DiscNation.
Do they not have enough websites? they have to try to steal business from others?

The answers to both questions depend on the details.

If a store is to pay for a fixed location (rent or own building), not have internet sales, and have disc golf sales as the majority of it's income---it will be very very difficult to make a profit at all, much less an income. Changing any of these details makes it easier. (One additional option is running or vending tournaments along with the day-to-day operations).

If a pay-to-play course must buy or lease the land, with the course as the land's only income, I doubt it's possible to make a profit. If the land is available for free (already owned, etc.), it might be a little easier.

Disc Nation
Disc Golf Store
Prime Discs
Disc Wholesalers

What I think is shady is if you type Marshallstreetdiscs.com it takes you to Prime discs.
Do they not have enough websites? they have to try to steal business from others?
Disc Nation: Yea go try to buy discs from another website, we will still get your money in the end... bwahahahaha(evil villain laugh)

Disc Nation
Disc Golf Store
Prime Discs
Disc Wholesalers

Interesting. I never noticed that before.

I saw a closed down gas station across the street from a DG course. Gas and discs, or a dive/19th hole bar would be cool (but also a headache to run). Maybe getting a rape van and a sales permit would be the easiest way to sell discs at a physical location, or mix it up with an ice cream truck venture and just show up at DG courses. I think I'd only open up a shop so I could get first dibs at all the discs.

The bar idea would be cool, but any idea that begins with the above should fail on principal.:D

On Topic: I just messaged Allen & Jeannie Pier about Pieradise DGC.

Disc Nation
Disc Golf Store
Prime Discs
Disc Wholesalers
Off-topic: Wait, wait, wait... Are you telling me that you are 100% sure that Disc Nation and Disc Golf Store are part of the same operation?