• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed changes for 2011 to the PDGA Rules of Disc Golf

It's not really the dunk putts that would necessarily be a problem. Stork was doing "dead fall" putts where he just stretched out with arm holding the putter high above his head and fell toward the basket with his feet still behind the mini and could release the putter close to the basket just before face planting.

As far as putt jumping, the RC talked about the possibility of not worrying whether a player launched the disc milliseconds before leaving the ground or after leaving the ground. The devil is in the details of how to incorporate that into wording for a better and more "callable" rule than what we have now. Coming up with a way to word a revised rule in such a way that players could jump and faults could be called consistently is the key issue to be resolved.

I very much agree with that. My only problem with the rule regarding foot faults on putts is the difficulty of it's enforcement.

Leopard said:
JR i was so close to not skipping all your posts anymore!!

Think of all the time you're gonna save by reading anything I write -plonk me away if you feel like it. There are other channels on the TV too so if the program doesn't seem palatable go ahead and use the remote.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Stork was doing "dead fall" putts where he just stretched out with arm holding the putter high above his head and fell toward the basket with his feet still behind the mini and could release the putter close to the basket just before face planting.

That sounds so amazing, i think we should allow this again :) Just to see poeple fall on their faces :D

Smigles said:
Chuck Kennedy said:
Stork was doing "dead fall" putts where he just stretched out with arm holding the putter high above his head and fell toward the basket with his feet still behind the mini and could release the putter close to the basket just before face planting.

That sounds so amazing, i think we should allow this again :) Just to see poeple fall on their faces :D

Here here! Talk about fun factor :) That is why I'm pro freedom of throwing any way you can. Butt push putt :)

That sounds so amazing, i think we should allow this again Just to see people fall on their faces
Perhaps if we added an artistic scoring element where jump-dunkers and dead-fallers (and those putting normally) also earned an artistic score as judged by the other three in the group it might make these shots not look foolish to outsiders viewing the sport?

Who else loves Chuck Kennedy jokes? I do! There are as rare and memorable as Ben Stein saying something nice about people in poverty.

The wedged disc thing could be problematic. Maybe its the local baskets, but I've seen a fair amount of discs sticking through the basket from the inside. Completely legitimate shots, but they would be sticking out of the boundary of the basket. Would that be addressed?

Wedged shots, I think, should be allowed. If having epsilon of your disc in bounds counts as in bounds, having epsilon of your disc in the tray should count as in the bucket.

Chuck Kennedy said:
That sounds so amazing, i think we should allow this again Just to see people fall on their faces
Perhaps if we added an artistic scoring element where jump-dunkers and dead-fallers (and those putting normally) also earned an artistic score as judged by the other three in the group it might make these shots not look foolish to outsiders viewing the sport?

So far it has been it's how many not how. I do indeed find it funny when my jump putts land by the basket more often than not :) And as long as the score is calculated in strokes I'm perfectly at ease with getting zero points for style thank you very much.

OK, try to throw a second shot on a 1200' par five without following through. Your knee tries to snap in half. Even an 80' throw, your momentum takes you forward and your leg comes around, as it should. Are we concerned about run-ups where people's plant foot doesn't come close to the area behind the disc? If so, why don't we rephrase and allow a landing zone (similar to as mentioned) that includes an area in front of the marker. (at a distance say 100' like mentioned). I do see that infraction a lot and I'm sure I do it, but any runup within 100 feet is purely for timing and way more controlled. If someone chucks in a 250' throw and it sticks, do we really care that he accidentally stepped in from of his lie by 6"?

Also, Let's just adapt and come up with wording to allow jump putts. We all seem to agree that jump-then-putting gives no advantage over putt-then-jumping. I'm not a master of writing, but if we know what we want, I'm sure someone out there can master the wording.

Parks said:
The wedged disc thing could be problematic. Maybe its the local baskets, but I've seen a fair amount of discs sticking through the basket from the inside. Completely legitimate shots, but they would be sticking out of the boundary of the basket. Would that be addressed?

i have seen discs go through one of the holes in the tray on a legal basket before and into the chains. i wonder if that counts.

i have seen discs go through one of the holes in the tray on a legal basket before and into the chains. i wonder if that counts.
As I understand it, it will not count if the group sees it happen. If the group or official doesn't see it, then it will count.

i would consider someone wedging a disc in the side of the basket would be, as considered in other sports, a "cheap shot". i agree with that rule i have seen an ace that way before.

I've had and seen putts do the wedgie thing, both inside and out. I dunno. I'm okay with the wedgies and hangers being okay so long as they are 'deemed at rest'.

As to the various wacky stand and deliver/no follow through rules, I think the situation is good the way it is.

i am all for dis-allowing discs wedged in from the outside of the tray......it always seemed ridiculous to me that those were supposed to count when they were obviously not good shots

Jesse B 707 said:
i am all for dis-allowing discs wedged in from the outside of the tray......it always seemed ridiculous to me that those were supposed to count when they were obviously not good shots

It's not like they were earned with a good performance so I agree with that.

I, and the pdga board also agree. However I am still going to count my wedgie ace I got with a whitler last year.
It does become a grey area when you mention discs hitting chains and sticking from the inside out (which I have never seen)

Parks said:

As far as I can tell, the rules were formed around these scenarios to make the good ones legal, and the bad ones illegal.

Code:
A. Disc falls into tray (with or without hitting chains). GOOD
B. Disc hits chains, stays within chains. GOOD
C. Disc resting on top. BAD
D. Outer wedgie. BAD
E. Inner wedgie. GOOD
F. Disc hanging on nubs, outside tray. BAD
G. Disc hanging on nubs, inside tray. GOOD
H. Disc spanning (stuck on) two nubs. BAD
I. Disc in tray that entered through side. BAD
J. Disc in tray or chains that enters through top. BAD

An inner wedgie still counts as a make. If it is a wedgie, inner or outer, and the group did not see the way that the disc entered, it counts.

Basically, the big change is to address WHERE the disc comes to enter the basket (and of course whether the group saw it). It cannot enter through the tray, not can it enter by falling down through the chain support.

Latest posts