• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Proto Colt; DGA Breaker; Innova Classic Roc

rgt286

Par Member
Hey guys, so I got my proto XT Colt some months ago and have loved throwing it; just awesome off the tee for short holes and for long approaches. Of course I've been using it quite a bit (banged it on a few trees and what have you) so it's starting to develop more turn than I like and soon will not be anywhere near as useful as it once was.

I know Innova has the Colt in G* but I don't dig it, and I don't wanna keep buying cheap plastic Colts while I wait for Star and/or Champ to come out. That being the case, I looked up some more low profile driving putters that specifically come in premium plastic. The two that stood out were the DGA Breaker and the Classic Roc. How do these discs compare in flight and feel to the Colt?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Hey guys, so I got my proto XT Colt some months ago and have loved throwing it; just awesome off the tee for short holes and for long approaches. Of course I've been using it quite a bit (banged it on a few trees and what have you) so it's starting to develop more turn than I like and soon will not be anywhere near as useful as it once was.
I know Innova has the Colt in G* but I don't dig it, and I don't wanna keep buying cheap plastic Colts while I wait for Star and/or Champ to come out.

My $0.02 suggestion is to scour the internet sites for another couple of proto Colts, and cycle them until the Colt comes out in Champ or Star. I know you don't want to do that forever, but you may not have to. I'm purely guessing here, but based upon previous discs (VRoc, Whale, etc.) timelines for being introduced, we should see a Champ or Star Colt by early next Spring (if that's wrong and someone knows something, i'll hear it gladly).

You should get a few months out of cycling a couple of protos (I'm doing that with DX proto colts, and my pink production Colt was born understable and is being used for dogleg-right holes), and can then transition to the Champ or Star Colt that comes out. I don't think there's another disc out there just like the Colt, though...

My $0.02 suggestion is to scour the internet sites for another couple of proto Colts, and cycle them until the Colt comes out in Champ or Star. I know you don't want to do that forever, but you may not have to. I'm purely guessing here, but based upon previous discs (VRoc, Whale, etc.) timelines for being introduced, we should see a Champ or Star Colt by early next Spring (if that's wrong and someone knows something, i'll hear it gladly).

You should get a few months out of cycling a couple of protos (I'm doing that with DX proto colts, and my pink production Colt was born understable and is being used for dogleg-right holes), and can then transition to the Champ or Star Colt that comes out. I don't think there's another disc out there just like the Colt, though...

This is DGCR, and I do like to speculate from time to time. Like many, I'm anxiously awaiting a premium plastic Colt, so much so that I check the Innova dealer page frequently. I opened the PDF order form and performed a search for Colt, 4 matches were returned. However, I could only find three words highlighted with the fourth being obscured or hidden. Wouldn't you know it, it was a section completely blacked out between Star Boss and Star Cro. This could be a number of possibilities (Cheetah, Condor, Classic Roc, etc.) so I went to the Excel file. Tried to search only to find the sheet is protected. A quick work-around of keying in the cell location to the name box provided the entry into the formula bar. St Colt! This leads me to believe it will be here sooner rather than later. :thmbup:

This is DGCR, and I do like to speculate from time to time. Like many, I'm anxiously awaiting a premium plastic Colt, so much so that I check the Innova dealer page frequently. I opened the PDF order form and performed a search for Colt, 4 matches were returned. However, I could only find three words highlighted with the fourth being obscured or hidden. Wouldn't you know it, it was a section completely blacked out between Star Boss and Star Cro. This could be a number of possibilities (Cheetah, Condor, Classic Roc, etc.) so I went to the Excel file. Tried to search only to find the sheet is protected. A quick work-around of keying in the cell location to the name box provided the entry into the formula bar. St Colt! This leads me to believe it will be here sooner rather than later. :thmbup:

Sweet, that is UBER EXCITING!!

Hoping you're right, and will do the Happy Dance when Star Colts come out. :popcorn:

I bag an Opto Pure, it serves a completely different purpose for me and doesn't feel the same at all in my hand.

The Innova Pro Shop has Star CR's. Anybody know how these particular discs fly?
http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-classic-roc.html

How does the Breaker compare to a VIP Harp?

Pro shop star CR's are almost pop-top domey and I couldn't get used to mine. The flight plate gives like it's paper thin. DGV has some champ CR's that were factory flat topped enough to be 95% as flat as the Ontario stars and champs but they're $30. However, if history repeats itself, another flat, premium CR won't be out for another 10 years.

I just got two and plan to throw one in the next day or two.

Don't even bother with the breaker. Classic roc feels the same but has a very different flight.

Don't even bother with the breaker. Classic roc feels the same but has a very different flight.

Don't even bother with a classic roc. Breaker will be a bit overstable but ultra reliable for short drives and placement upshots. ;)

Buy an Evo Chief. /endthread

I would love to (Chief used to fill this role until it got too US as well) but I can't find any on the internet. Gateway's website doesn't say it produces the Chief in Evo. If you or anybody else knows where to find these, I'm all ears.

Don't even bother with a classic roc. Breaker will be a bit overstable but ultra reliable for short drives and placement upshots. ;)

I was speaking as a colt replacement, where the breaker flies nothing like a colt in any way.

I would love to (Chief used to fill this role until it got too US as well) but I can't find any on the internet. Gateway's website doesn't say it produces the Chief in Evo. If you or anybody else knows where to find these, I'm all ears.

Contact them and you can buy directly from their warehouse (shipped), I believe. I stopped by the store last week, and they had a bunch of Evo Chiefs. They make Glow Chiefs as well.

You will LOVE the proline breaker. It's less durable than the sparkle but that plastic is so worth it. The breaker is perfection in a faster putter.

Or just get the Star Colt that just came out. :)

Just got mine in the mail. If the rain will let up, I'll take 'em out for a few throws...