• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

Some things are better left unsaid. It doesn't matter whether it's just. When getting a job, the end justifies the means. Be a winner in the end.

Baja, thats totally weird. Then again, in my interview I just said I was a golfer ;)

^my buddys dad, who is a badass an dwon many tournys,

Not sure this was intentional (in fact I'd guess it wasn't) but this is a glorious, wonderful online grammatical contraction. "my buddy[']s dad who is a badass an[d ha]d won many tourn[e]ys"

I tried putting []s around that space, but it looked crazy.

(Sorry, the internets is teh annoying for people who like grammar and spelling.)

Not sure this was intentional (in fact I'd guess it wasn't) but this is a glorious, wonderful online grammatical contraction. "my buddy[']s dad who is a badass an[d ha]d won many tourn[e]ys"

I tried putting []s around that space, but it looked crazy.

(Sorry, the internets is teh annoying for people who like grammar and spelling.)

Let it go... you are taking on Goliath! Newspeak is reality.

all it takes to see a good example of how public perception may be a bit negative, is to look around the next time you are standing at a players meeting before a tourney, the typical field consists of a large group of people who look "scary", not exactly the sort that mainstream peeps usually take serious not to mention the lack of professionalism in attire, I'm not saying its right for the "public" to view us that way but from a perception standpoint I can see it...

Out of all the people who I have come across playing DG seems like mayyyyyyybe 10% are the ones who could be to blame for the poor image. Like ALL sports it only takes one Dennis Rodman, MN vikings boat cruise etc, to distort a games image and just like being in school, it only takes one person to ruin it for everyone.... The ignorant people will always be that way and the only ones who matter are those with an open mind ready to accept the sport and learn about how it is a great game which doesn't single out any one type of athlete or person. The younger generation coming up in DG understand marketing much more than those in the past and with time you will see much respect for our community.

Don't let one person ruin the game or what one person thinks about it ruin your day-- educate them both and lead by example.

all it takes to see a good example of how public perception may be a bit negative, is to look around the next time you are standing at a players meeting before a tourney, the typical field consists of a large group of people who look "scary", not exactly the sort that mainstream peeps usually take serious not to mention the lack of professionalism in attire, I'm not saying its right for the "public" to view us that way but from a perception standpoint I can see it...

i see your point there. pretty much every other sport has some sort of standard attire which is worn while playing. whether it be athletic shirt/shorts (endurance sports), or nice polo and nice shorts/pants (leisure sports). and pretty much everyone who competes or just plays for fun will dress accordingly or be shunned by the rest who play.

I hate the drugs/disc golf association but I think it's warranted on almost every course I have ever played. I really wish you guys would cut that crap out on the course. I don't feel like I can bring my family out to enjoy the day with me. Your "perceived" ability to enjoy these things ruins the ability for people that abstain from enjoying the game. I have not even mentioned the fact that it's illegal. What you do with your time is none of my business BUT when what you do affects what I am able to do with my time then it's no longer YOUR time. The worst is when someone pulls some out during a mini. You could possibly screw someones life up just because they had the misfortune to get placed on the same card as you. UGH! /rant

Okay, let's not turn this into a drugs things, b/c when someone says drugs I'm not thinking weed, I'm thinking things like heroine and coke (not the soft drink) If you really have a problem with people smoking weed on your local course, be a man and contact law enforcement, let them know it's a frequent problem and they'll either pull your course (so no one can enjoy it) or they'll police it a little bit better. And the whole, "oh we're not being taken seriously b/c of the way we look/dress/etc." is a little bogus IMO b/c they already do have attire rules for A-tiers and above. It's all about marketing people, the only way we can gain reputation, positive or negative is through marketing our sport more. We have to put the message out to a broader audience, and they'll either take it and run with it, or reject it, in which case we just push harder. I mean, their are politicians who are a$$hats who market themselves in a way that it's hard to ignore they are there, and eventually people love them, or hate them, but they can at least acknowledge that they exist.

I've oft wondered if the smoker stigma attached to DG was just an accurate reflection of users in society and the stigma was due to the ability to partake in such a setting. You can't exactly light-up in a bowling alley or pool hall. I wouldn't recommend any impairment prior to some rock climbing but can imagine that back at camp, fire wood isn't the only thing burning.

My basically philosophy is that if you want to ruin your body and mind away from me, fantastic as long as the effects stay at home and do not have an impact my life (driving, collecting wellfare, etc). As you can tell, I am against drug usage, but ultimately how you decide to perceive reality and or wish to escape from it is your business.

And as much as I have bitched here and on Facebook about how this sport does not deserve this negative stereotype and about what kind of people are only perpetuating this negative veiw of the sport, ultimately I am going to go out and have fun regardless if this sport ever becomes mainstream or not. I am not going to allow DG to define my life, for better or worse.

Yet as much as I would prefer that people never smoke or partake while playing, whether I am there or not, I have had only three instances in all my years of playing where those who do partake were not nice enough to ask in advance when I played with them if they could light up. Maybe it is just my area where I play, but for the most part if someone asks if they could partake and I answer that I would prefer they do not because first I do not enjoy it and secondly I do not want to lose my teaching license, they are respectful enough to wait until later when I am done with the tournament/ league.

Of those three instances I would say only once was it so blatant that I wanted to walk away. During a local thursday league earlier this year I was paired with four other guys who had no shame about lighting up. To make matters worse, the group behind us caught up and three of their four plopped down and joined the party. The course is located in a forest, so I do not know if they thought this gave them permission to be so brazen, but this forested course has quite some traffic and there were kids present in groups that did not belong to this league. Earlier in the week I ranted on Paul Charchian's Facebook account that disc golf does not deserve this negative stereotype, that those who want to take the sport serious by playing in leagues and tournaments are not that stupid to put their drug usage out there for everyone to see. I felt like such a hyprocrite.

Except for posting here in this thread, I have backed down trying to defend this sport. I am just going to go out and have a fun time. I almost at the point where like others here, I will fail to mention this sport unless I have time to defend myself against negative first impressions. My grandfather, who was an educator as well, was very concerned that I could have thrown my license away; I am sure my mention of playing disc golf to an administrator at a treatment facility for delinquent boys where they had a small course set up on the campus likely played a role in me not getting a teaching position there; and while I have my wall in my classroom littered with pictures of myself and fellow league members playing, I am made sure I selected pictures where there is absolutely no alcohol or smoking of any kind present.

Okay, let's not turn this into a drugs things, b/c when someone says drugs I'm not thinking weed, I'm thinking things like heroine and coke (not the soft drink) If you really have a problem with people smoking weed on your local course, be a man and contact law enforcement, let them know it's a frequent problem and they'll either pull your course (so no one can enjoy it) or they'll police it a little bit better. And the whole, "oh we're not being taken seriously b/c of the way we look/dress/etc." is a little bogus IMO b/c they already do have attire rules for A-tiers and above. It's all about marketing people, the only way we can gain reputation, positive or negative is through marketing our sport more. We have to put the message out to a broader audience, and they'll either take it and run with it, or reject it, in which case we just push harder. I mean, their are politicians who are a$$hats who market themselves in a way that it's hard to ignore they are there, and eventually people love them, or hate them, but they can at least acknowledge that they exist.

^This

I've oft wondered if the smoker stigma attached to DG was just an accurate reflection of users in society and the stigma was due to the ability to partake in such a setting. You can't exactly light-up in a bowling alley or pool hall. I wouldn't recommend any impairment prior to some rock climbing but can imagine that back at camp, fire wood isn't the only thing burning.

That and the location of the course...back in the deep woods. If the course wasn't there it would still be going on, along with some teen drinking, some pig-squealing and other awesome outdoors activities.

Is keeping his mouth closed and not getting into this issue...I could go on forever debating this topic..."It is what it is!!!" Get over it.....Do you really want DG and the PDGA to become what the PGA is? Do you have any clue how many people that play ball golf drink and smoke on the courses....it's just not DG people...it's everywhere......it will always be everywhere....and nothing anybody does will be able to stop it...people will live theirs lives according to how they want no matter what anyone else thinks....trust me....and for all you parents out there trying to shield your kids from the real world......believe me it doesn't work....your kids will grow up sheltered and then when they go off to college they will explode...go crazy and try everything imaginable....seen it with my own eyes....having two children myself..it's best to teach them and if you happen to walk upon people partaking while playing, just walk away if you're not interested...if you have your children....explain to them what is going on....and tell them the TRUTH!!!! Don't be one of these people who lies because you think you are doing them a favor...you're not!!! And from a legal standpoint...you will only get in trouble if you're the one in possession of the substances.....not just on the same card as said person...so in the words of Sgt. Hulka (as was stated above "Lighten up Francis/Frances."