• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter advice

mcskinny14

Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency. I'm currently using a Discraft Banger-gt in jawbreaker plastic and a discraft zone in z flx which is more of my approach then putting putter.

Last night, I forgot my bag at home and wanted to play so the closest I had to a putter was my dx shark and it felt much more comfortable in my hand and I ended up putting better from distance with that than my actual putters. Any advice on a putter with a similar hard plastic and low profile?

I mean, the Shark is just that good of a disc, but also so prevalent in basic disc golf 3 packs that it gets overlooked.

Maybe stay on theme of basic discs and try an Aviar. These are available in multiple plastic types. Aviars are great putters and many swear by them. Your Banger GT also has a devout following, but may not be the best for your style.

Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency. I'm currently using a Discraft Banger-gt in jawbreaker plastic and a discraft zone in z flx which is more of my approach then putting putter.

Last night, I forgot my bag at home and wanted to play so the closest I had to a putter was my dx shark and it felt much more comfortable in my hand and I ended up putting better from distance with that than my actual putters. Any advice on a putter with a similar hard plastic and low profile?

I also agree with the DX Aviar. Another that works for me is a Bt Hard Maiden. Similar to the Aviar but a lower profile.

If you liked the Shark, You could try a DX Dart.

I putted with a Shark for my first year, then moved onto a Dart for awhile before I went on to actual putters.

A Dx Aviar is also a good bet.

Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency.

I know putting from short distances builds confidence, and teaches you how to "make" putts instead of "missing" putts, but I struggled with this same thing since my "original" putting stance didn't give me the power to reach from 20' and beyond consistently.

I moved back to find a stance that gave me the "power" to reach consistently, then I moved closer to drill that stance into my head.

found new putter

I borrowed a DD Deputy in Classic Blend plastic and loved it. It fit well in my hand and I threw it well. Still need a bunch of practice but it has gone well so far. Thanks for your help

Just like in ball golf, there is a wide range of "feels" for putters. You'll be throwing a lot of putts, so finding one that "feels" good will help with some psychology. For example, some people like really thin and flat putters. Others like deeper rim putters like a challenger, while others like even deeper rims like a rattler. Some people like really hard plastic putters, others like putters that are so soft you can bend them in half like a taco.
I went from Aviar P&A to Roach to Challenger to Rattler to Scale back to Challenger and I finally think I have a putting style and putter that match up well (that always needs more practice). Since you will putt on almost every hole, take some time to figure out for yourself what you like to toss in the circle and then get a bunch of those to use for practice!

Not a Shark shape but a similar disc in wing design with more putter shape to it is a Magnet, the Pro D not soft is a tad softer though then the DX but Pro D is often not Waxed over with a light wax layer to it like DX is. The Magnet and a Magnet clone, Clutch found is stiff plastics have a concave rim to the putter that is more pronounced then a Shark if that was the part you liked. Now if it was the feel of the Shark profile you liked, then try a DX Dart. I know the R-Pro is the most used since a specific top level pro player uses the mold for long putts to short midrange stuff but since you like the DX plastic the DX Dart is the way to go. If you wanted both parts the rim and the shape the closest was a Rubber Putter due to a more stright wing having a big bead on it that helps replicate the wing shape of the Shark.

Another choice is just to use a DX Shark as a putter, I have an uncle who uses a DX Spider and my brother for years used a DX Gator beat to fly straight as his true putter until the Stud came out and I got him those at 175 grams. The Shark in Star at 175 grams I use as a approach disc, the spot a driving putter would go, and as a windy day putter along with a Older Pro at 174 grams that is for approach and windy day putter when I need a less OS disc. Now The Shark was once called a multi purpose disc until the Champion plastic came out then the Champion Shark was called a midrange and then the next year after the DX was changed to midrange.

Of Course you were trying a GT Bangor so, if you did not like the top shape a DGA Steady is the putter for you, same mold just no GT on top. That or try a Gateway Wizard, similar flight and Shape as a DGA Steady just a bit lower glide.

the Shark will definitely work for a putter. I sometimes use it for LONG putts, when I need a little curve on it.

the Shark will definitely work for a putter. I sometimes use it for LONG putts, when I need a little curve on it.

I use it for basket attempt approach putts or for most top level pro players is the longer putter shot where they are truly putting as well as longer approach/short midrange shots where I am not putting at the basket but trying to get close to the basket the way majority of other players would with a more OS putter. this is how I use it as well as driving putter slot for most of my shots, windy putter is the other. That is similar to how some Innova sponsored pro players use a Gator/3 or Caiman for approach and windy putts.

Last edited:
I would agree with above statements about the Aviar in DX. I have used the Focus in Jawbreaker and while the Jawbreaker felt softer in hand, I feel the Aviar just consistently flies better. I would like to get my hands on a Dart but haven't found one locally to see how it feels in hand.

I would agree with above statements about the Aviar in DX. I have used the Focus in Jawbreaker and while the Jawbreaker felt softer in hand, I feel the Aviar just consistently flies better. I would like to get my hands on a Dart but haven't found one locally to see how it feels in hand.

Then try a Pro D Focus, my uncle (one who got me started) uses one after his old disc bag with his slightly worn in DX Avair got lost in a house fire. The uncle wanted a broken in Aviar P&A flight but did not want to have to work for that so he got a Pro D Focus, closest to a broken in DX Aviar in terms of flight. He putts better with the Pro D Focus then he did with a Broken in Aviar P&A.

Modern Pro D does get a bad rap but it will be more consistent then Jawbreaker and bonus you do not need to have another putter set for temps over 90-95 F. Trust me, when my Jawbreaker Magnets die I will Keep using my Proline Titanic molds in that spot, simply a Magnet with a nose spacer for a slower Magnet

Last edited:
I borrowed a DD Deputy in Classic Blend plastic and loved it. It fit well in my hand and I threw it well. Still need a bunch of practice but it has gone well so far. Thanks for your help

Deputies are nice discs. I love the classic blend plastic too. I putted with classic blend wardens up until this year. I've since switched to JK aviars. I love the grip on these even better. And as others have said DX or KC pro are stiffer plastics for aviars. Darts are great too. It's really all personal preference though.

And I agree the deep rim on putters is difficult to get used to. I like the grip on a driver much better, sorry no real help!.

I started off using a straddle push putt that I learned on youtube somewhere when I first started. And I used that technique through various molds (including shark and mako midranges), but I just never really "got it". Then I bought a rattler because it was cheap and I heard you could play catch with it. And it is a deep rim. Like really uncomfortably deep.
Or...was that just in my head because I liked a certain grip? I watched this video and it changed my world:

The ease at which he just chucked the rattler into the basket was alluring. I bought several more and swore by them. I embraced my oddball serpents. Until...
The wind.
Wind ruined all of the progress I had made in putting. I had really started to feel good about lofting my putts with that technique, but realized the drawback of floating a putt, so I learned a new style that blends spin and push putting and with that style, the rattler was no longer comfortable in hand and I switched back to the challenger which is deeper than a roach, less so than a rattler, and a disc that I absolutely do not like throwing, but at the same time, I love putting with it.

Or...was that just in my head because I liked a certain grip? I watched this video and it changed my world:

Notice how he putts right handed with left left forward. The only other putter I know that does this is Nikko, and for Nikko he has a straddle setup making the left leg forward much less exaggerated.

This stance makes it nearly impossible to fly open on the right side. When you do the weight shift onto your left foot, your body wants to counterbalance by moving your right shoulder forward, causing the chest to hinge to the left of the basket. It is a reversal of the usual shoulder dynamics of a putt.

I have messed around with left-foot-forward putting a bit, mainly because I ALWAYS miss wide right and it corrects that problem 100% of the time. The downside is that you must throw with hyzer to get any power. The video you posted with rattlers makes sense to me. If you have to throw with hyzer to get any power, it makes sense to use an understable disc to get as straight a hyzer throw as possible. The other alternative is a fast putter so you can get to the basket before it breaks left.

After messing around with left-foot-forward I would not recommend that a new disc golfer start with that stance. It forces a lot of loft on longer putts, and the loft with hyzer means the wind will get you. Learn how to putt traditionally and if you miss wide right try to understand what you are doing wrong instead of adopting a stance to solve the issue.

After messing around with left-foot-forward I would not recommend that a new disc golfer start with that stance. It forces a lot of loft on longer putts, and the loft with hyzer means the wind will get you. Learn how to putt traditionally and if you miss wide right try to understand what you are doing wrong instead of adopting a stance to solve the issue.

That's a really good point.
I didn't notice the reverse footing until I watched it several times. I was sort of underhand flinging it with hyzer right into the basket (a lot of times without it even hitting chains). It was so effortless and comfortable. And then after watching it a few more times, I saw the reverse stance, but it felt awkward, so I used a traditional stance.

I guess my point was more so that you have to just sort of find something to start with so that you can find out what doesn't work about it, and here I think we're on the same page. I wasn't trying to recommend that stance, it was more that his putts were just sort of tossed into the basket and when I tried the same with rattlers, it just felt natural to me. And after lots of experimentation with them, I started to recognize flaws with my style. I used to be convinced that the one disc that would never ever leave my bag was a rattler...

In my very inexperienced opinion, what you putt is way less important than how you putt.

And I agree the deep rim on putters is difficult to get used to. I like the grip on a driver much better, sorry no real help!.

This is more helpful than suggesting he go back to a deep rim putter, just because it's the same brand as the Shark.

The improvement might have been a psychological factor of switching discs, or his putting style might be better suited to overstable low profile putters or mids. OP, try a Ringer, Rhyno, Envy, etc.

Latest posts