• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Distance

How far can you reliably putt

• <20

Votes: 102 45.9%
  • 20 - 25

Votes: 72 32.4%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • 30 - 35

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • 35 - 40

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 40 - 45

• 45 - 50

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50 +

• Total voters
Anyone in the 25-30 category for 90% of putts in a round is going to be a 1000+ rated pro.

not true. when im on the ball i can hit 90% from 40ft in (more commonly and consistently 25-30). this is actually quite regular. however, my inconsistencies with driving is what continues to hold me back. a 1000 rated pro is someone who is not only good but consistent all the time.

It's strange for me. I can nail 25' putts all day on the basket in the back yard. I'll hit 95% easily from there, but the minute I step out to 30', it drops drastically to 60-65%. My biggest issue is that once I'm out to 30', I have to throw a little different to get enough distance to get into the chains. I've been meaning to rework my putting style, but it's really not hurting my game right now. I rarely end up with 30'-40' putts for some reason. I'm usually either 70'-100' out, or within 20' of the basket.

<20 my putting has been sucking here of late i need to rig up some sort of practice target/ basket

It's strange for me. I can nail 25' putts all day on the basket in the back yard. I'll hit 95% easily from there, but the minute I step out to 30', it drops drastically to 60-65%. My biggest issue is that once I'm out to 30', I have to throw a little different to get enough distance to get into the chains. I've been meaning to rework my putting style, but it's really not hurting my game right now. I rarely end up with 30'-40' putts for some reason. I'm usually either 70'-100' out, or within 20' of the basket.

i read an article by the stork once about stuff ike this. he suggested instead of moving in 5' distamnces try 2' intervals. also, you should always remember a 30' putt is the same as a 10' putt. so in other words, your 10' putt should be as hard as your 30' putt and your 30' putt should be as soft as your 10' putt.

also on consistency and confidence. your 'routine' is what builds both. the routine begins from when you are approaching your putt to when you pull our putt out of the basket. practicing your routine every single putt makes a huge difference. instead of practicing with multiple putters try just one. pretend for every putt you are walking up to it for the first time. your routine begins here. marking your disc setting your bag down and etc are all apart of it. the actual style of your putt matters very little. all that matters is that your comfortable and confident. the rest just comes.

I can make anything within 85', but put me next to the basket (with 2') and I miss all day.

Am I far sighted? Who said that?

For really reals, there are so many styles around with the people I play with that is hard to get consistent. I agree that PUTTING is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the game. I have seen TOO MANY par saves to think otherwise.

i think 90% is a bit much for almost any distance. if you don't believe me, try to putt 100 times from outside 20 feet. i promise you won't make 90+ on a consistent basis. yeah, you.

i think 90% is a bit much for almost any distance. if you don't believe me, try to putt 100 times from outside 20 feet. i promise you won't make 90+ on a consistent basis. yeah, you.

whaddya wanna bet? :D I'll film it too, and do it from outside 30'.

I'd like to see some actual stats on putting, not just some internet boasting :D

There aren't many. Imagine the difficulty of measuring the distance from the target for every throw in actual competition, and then noting who threw it and whether or not it went in.

I did get the figures from an ace race, and fit the results to my Throw Model. See Disc Golf Ace Probability spreadsheet here. These are the most reliable and data-based figures I'm aware of.

I'd guess that most people who look at it will think the percentages are way too small. I think this is because most people guess at their percentages and distances, rather than actually count and measure. "Hit putts all day" and "I get mad if I don't make it" or (for me) "should have been able to hit that one if I just hadn't..." mentally translate to 100%.

Also, "backyard" putting may be easier. By that I mean no-pressure, and repeated throws from the same distance in the same conditions.

Looks like maybe I should have started the poll at <15 or even <10

I thought that being a new player I would be on the low end of the distribution but it's not clear from this data where the low end starts. I'm pretty solid from about 15 - unless I just rush because I think it's a "gimme"

BTW - who did the 50+??

I was forced to put <20 as I haven't been practicing lately. Last summer I would have been in the 25-30' category.

I'm pretty solid from about 15 - unless I just rush because I think it's a "gimme"

BTW - who did the 50+??

I had to start telling myself to 'take every putt seriously' after walking up and chucking a few 10 footers, that bounced out, or just plain missed. Nothing sucks more than pulling one of those off ..

Since I got my own basket, I've drastically improved...
Right now anything inside 50' I feel is a makable put..
but realistically I am only 90%+ within 25.

Maybe that's part of my problem, I try to stay calm and collected when I putt, I'll try adding more RAGE! :mad:

Oops! Type-o. Hey rage may work...if you focus on knocking the shine off the chains it may result in more made putts, or a lot longer second putts on a miss lol.

Anyway, my approach to putting is to be confident in making a good throw/run at the basket. I tell my hs ball players its all about getting yourself in a position to make a play....same with putting here. The best way to make more putts is giving yourself and opp by making a good throw.

If your hitting the basket consistantly from outside 30'....stay positive....your 95% there....heck, some of them will have to start dropping....just keep practicing.

My putting isn't "reliable" from any distance, but I'm more likely to sink it from outside the circle.

whaddya wanna bet? :D I'll film it too, and do it from outside 30'.

I legitimately would like to see this, or something similar. Even if it is just canned putting from the backyard. Take 10 discs (other than your putter), drop them from the range you claimed you could make 90% from, and take those 10 putts. Then do the process 10 times. I wonder how many of us could make 90% of those putts. I might go do this later today (albeit without the video).

Ok, sometime when it works out time-wise I'll do it. Planned on doing a slo-mo putt video to analyze my form anyways.

Latest posts