• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting slump

good question, i'm in one. i switched putters but i wouldn't follow that advice, i switched because i want to go to the anode over the ion anyway.

I make a new thread on DGCR whenever I'm in a slump.

I put my putter in time out for a tournament and lower my player rating. When I put it back in the bag it gets happy and starts to go in the basket again. I'm serious too.

Not much. Putting should be muscle memory so if I do anything it's work on the mental aspect of it. A confident putter is a better putter, and I'm not talking about the disc. I guess you make sure your form was correct, or just practice putting til your confident again.

Not much. Putting should be muscle memory so if I do anything it's work on the mental aspect of it. A confident putter is a better putter, and I'm not talking about the disc. I guess you make sure your form was correct, or just practice putting til your confident again.

Maybe I need a putter with the stamp "Keep Calm and Putt Strong." That could help me remember to focus, or I could........ look a shiney coin.

Reminding myself to finish with my putting hand pointing at the basket seems to help me most of the time.

You should spend the time that you normally troll here, in front of a basket and practice. You would probably be 1000-rated by now.

The more you think about your putting the worse it gets. The last shot shouldn't effect your next shot. As soon as you lose confidence you are screwed and nothing is going to go in.

The more you think about your putting the worse it gets. The last shot shouldn't effect your next shot. As soon as you lose confidence you are screwed and nothing is going to go in.

I disagree with the last sentence, but the second one is sage advice. I believe you have to face the yips (everyone gets them from time to time). Acknowledge them, then remind yourself that you DO know how to putt, and then discard them (yips). This based on having a solid foundation from serious practice.

For me it was just realizing that I need to relax my muscles in my back and focus on a simple pitch with good weight transfer.

Become great at driving and approaching...always land within 5 feet of the basket.

In other words, drive for show and for dough.

A putting slump is entirely mental. Find a practice basket to build some confidence. Make sure to always end on a good note. When you get a run of made putts from a good distance, stop and let that stick in your head overnight.

If the slump continues for an extended time, it's time to switch putters or tweak your stroke. With each miss, analyze where it missed and why. If it hyzered out too early, maybe you're just not getting enough on it. Focus on putting it through the chains rather than at them. If you're high or low, adjust your release accordingly.

Eventually you'll settle into a stroke that works. All of a sudden you'll get a nice run of made putts. At this point, lock it into muscle memory by replicating that exact same stroke. If a few miss, chalk them up as anomalies and don't dwell on them.

Sometimes making minor changes can boost your confidence because you feel like you're making improvements to fix the problem.

I have the problem of being a practice putting champion and can't translate it into my round. What i did this weekend was hold two other putters in my left hand to make me feel like i was just at the practice basket and take some of the self generated pressure off of myself.

I was on a bad putting slump. I seriously could not make a putt I felt like. It was going on for about 3 weeks and I did everything I could to try an fix it but nothing helped. One day, my friend had some cool stamped magnets, so I traded for them. I was putting wih Omega SS and had been for about 8 months. The magnets took about a day to get used to and now I'm money again! May just need I switch putters. My $.02

I've been there. For me it has been mental.

Read Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". He says every good player starts as a good and bold putter, but that people get the yips because eventually they play so much that they suffer a big disappointing putt in a crucial situation, and then have trouble not recalling that horrific situation. So either smoke enough dope that you don't remember that bad situaion, or... force yourself to have a selective memory. And most importantly COMMIT TO EVERY SHOT.

Also, don't spend too much time staring at a putt. Rotella has advised many great golfers to adopt the "run and gun" style of Michael Jordan. Look at the putt and shoot. Don't think. I recently saw one prominent Texan disc golfer who does not look at the basket until one or two seconds before he fires his putt. I copied this approach and have had some success with it. Put your marker down. Look at the approximate distance. Then look down at the marker. Square your shoulders, lift your chest, loosen your arm, (or whatever quick mechanical reminders or loosening need to happen) then slowly move your eyes from the marker to the basket. Once your eyes are on the basket, simply fire.

For me, this approach to putting allows me to slip into a purely instinctive mode. i'm basically simulating a situation where I just looked up at a basket and fired without thinking. The second and CRUCIAL half of this is to shoot the putt with total commitment. Rotella writes that it's actually better to putt the wrong line with total commitment than the right line uncommitted. You can live with a misread, but once you begin to play scared, you're doomed.