• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

SOFT!!!!....I carry 2 blowflys...1 is about 3-4 yrs old now, and is my main putter, and my 2nd is about 3-4 months old, that is my approach disc. I also use an omega SS for windy conditions.

JK Aviars have become my favorite. Have used Champ Rhynos I've beat in, stiff Warlocks, and XD's. I like stiff for long putt's and medium for the rest. I carry 2-3 JK Aviars, 1 new, 2 different stages of beat.

*backswing

I have followed the pros around during the tourney at my home course, and without exception, they seem to putt with hard, DX plastic.
Me personally, I prefer something in-between. Not too hard or soft.

I like a firm putter. I have a SS Voodoo but it though it feels soft, it is actually pretty firm as well.

I have gone back and forth between an SSS Wizard which is the kind that is very soft and already broken in and a SSS Wizard that is still pretty stiff. But as for now I am using the harder of the two, just had too many bounce out with the soft one. Plus I think the soft putters are sticky and collect dirt, in turn sometimes the disc just slips off my hands.

I think we should consult The Mythbusters.

Agreed. Only way to know for sure is to blow up the basket...

I use a Champ Rhyno now that is all gummy and a wonderful thing. My DX Aviar got eaten by a German Shepherd at the park over the summer. The owner just told the dog to stop eating my disc and that was that...no apology and worse yet, no $10 for my disc..

I have a Star Rhyno inbound via USPS so I'm waiting to see how that thing feels.

:mad: 'cuz this thread reminded me of my Aviar that looks like a chew toy now.

I feel like I throw more accurately with firm discs - I have Star and Champian Aviars (beadless) and a DX Rhyno. But I have a glow aviar that seems to be a good combo - a little firm, but tacky. I liked the feel of my classic aviar, but I just couldn't throw it that well.

I feel like I throw more accurately with firm discs - I have Star and Champian Aviars (beadless) and a DX Rhyno. But I have a glow aviar that seems to be a good combo - a little firm, but tacky. I liked the feel of my classic aviar, but I just couldn't throw it that well.

I haven't touched anything but a DX Aviar. Are you saying that the Champ and Star aren't tacky or soft at all? A Champ Rhyno is pretty gummy and very soft compared to Champ drivers so I'd think maybe a Champ Aviar or Star would be too...

It's all relative I guess. I would say that I like the feel of the Star Aviar b/c it has a pretty good grip. The champ aviar is only so-so (but still might be better than most champ drivers), but it is definitely not soft.

Soft putters is my preference because I feel they grab the chains better (prob in my head) I throw the soft challenger.

I use a ss wizard and sss magic for putting. I can't putt worth a damn with my eraser wizard. The release is just poor.

I've used JK Aviar-X's for quite a while and while I do like the feel of soft putters I can't stand the bounce outs anymore. Before using the JK's I used a Champion Classic Roc and it's lower profile and slicker plastic contributed to a few cut throughs, but they didn't happen nearly as often as my JK's bounce straight back out off the pole. I've just ordered some KC Pro Aviars and I'm confident they will be the happy middle ground I need as long as I can get comfortable with the grip.

I prefer soft floppy putters...especially when hole locals are side hill and when ya miss they roll forever. floppy usually only rolls on putt, drive approach when you hit side basket and it catches the edge. that's my pref seen some money putters with rock hard firm discs. who knows maybe ill switch one day.

Never could adapt to the gummy-type putters, but my FLX Challenger immediately replaced BOTH my Magic and my Pro Aviar (though the latter I had been looking to retire since I'd had Barry Schultz autograph it while telling him about the course I designed in my town--less than 15 miles north of HIS hometown [Sheboygan, WI]--and he told me that he actually played my course and was glad to see Cleveland get in the DG scene!)...whoa...hella parenthetical tangent there! I could never get any putter that was "Blowfly" type or gummier to do anything, and I think that's partially the fault of my genes since I'm a naturally "moist" guy with palms that are hardly ever dry. FLX plastic keeps its grip in rain or sweat for me.

firm but tacky, hate soft discs in general- i just see them as putting another variable in an equation that is already difficult enough.

bullseye. i can't understand how anyone uses a blowfly (unless it's sub-arctic temps that particular day)

Latest posts