• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Putting with Lids

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
I use my Rattler a lot and have gone back and forth putting with it 100%. The only downside I see at the moment is sometimes I want to feel like I am push putting a brick and lid discs tend to want to catch the air a bit more.

Does anyone putt with lids?

What would be a downside to putting with lids like a Rattler, Polecat, etc?

super puppy

i putt a lid. a super puppy. always have. back then it was a hands putter or super puppy. then maybe a 86 softie.

edit- o and the birdie putter before they thumbtrac it the pot leaf birdie and champion stamp birdie.

Played a Zephyr-only tournament last week and really enjoyed putting with the Zephyr. Just put it up straight and let it glide right to the chains. I banged a couple 40' putts or so and it felt so easy compared to my usual KC Aviars, and I really started to think about switching to a glidier putter for my usual game.

Then the wind picked up and everyone's putting was atrocious.

What would be a downside to putting with lids like a Rattler, Polecat, etc?
I don't really find a downside to putting Rattlers or Polecats. They are a tiny bit slower which means that- in theory- wind could have more time to affect them. But in practice I don't really notice any measurable difference.

However, putting with Zephyrs, UltraStars, etc is a completely different story haha... those are really difficult because of their size. I've done a ton of UltraStar rounds and putting is easily my achilles' heel. A big part of the problem is probably that it is such a different experience from what we are all used to.

I used a one point mid 2005-mid 2006 used a Putt'r first run stamped Soft X I had wone and the only flaw is the plastic the mold is made in, make the Putt'r in standard Pro D and it would work. Discraft had a soft Pro D made for a single first run/test flight right before the Soft X came out. The Flaw with the plastic is the mod gets a concave top to the lid after a hot temp 90+ F round to the lid so the plastic looses all glide and due to the shape of the rim/wing being wider at the bottom then the edge, the lid can have more power in putting to the mold then most lids so it is easy to fly past the basket. The flaw means the mold is for those who do only chest spin putts with 0% power using mega amounts of snap like putting with a stable Ultimate disc or heavy larger catch disc to get the disc to fly right. I gave my Putt'r max weight to a then Girl now women in 2007 when she used Putt'r only after they had broken in, she was putting with the same style I mentioned already only she started from the waist and finishing at chest height when at release. Before that she was using Pole Cat that was So unpredictable in any wind at all being an E.D.G.E weight 140 gram disc.

Last edited:

Latest posts