• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] R419B and 420B testers

And straight from Steve Dodge's mouth (or fingertips, as it were…), we can share any and all that we find in this testing process? Or is there still some things we're supposed to keep under an NDA of sorts, or something?

Well R420B is quite possibly the most stable thing I've ever thrown, can't even get it to 300. R419B is so predictably flippy I could see it being the best tailwind bomber there is. Going back to park maybe I'll shoot a vid.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I only got r420 so when I head to the field to test it next week I won't be able to put in any input on r419

Got mine today, 419 left, 420 right

8981461549_a16e206166_z.jpg

I believe the R420 is more overstable than a nuke os or an ape. The R419 I can't really compare to another flippy driver, it's better than any katana, bolt, nuke ss, or Vulcan even, just a very consist smooth turnover.

I got just a 419 @164g. It's flies like my flippy tester Lace, just feels bulkier in the hand.

if the r420 is more OS than a nuke OS or ape then that's a littttttttle too much beef for regular use.. I was just hoping for a lace with nearly zero high speed turn and a little more low speed fade not a OS monster... how far are you throwing Hlasianguy06? also would love to hear someone try to roll the r419

I got just a 419 @164g. It's flies like my flippy tester Lace, just feels bulkier in the hand.

Right on! I love my flippy Proto Lace for long turnovers and strong tailwind shots. Would be nice to have readily available replacements.

if the r420 is more OS than a nuke OS or ape then that's a littttttttle too much beef for regular use.. I was just hoping for a lace with nearly zero high speed turn and a little more low speed fade not a OS monster... how far are you throwing Hlasianguy06? also would love to hear someone try to roll the r419

Barely getting the 420 or the Descent as id like to call it since all it does is fade! Lol I'm getting it to 300 I need to reach back more. I can get my firm lace to 500 and my mediums somewhere over 400 (they're just more stable for some reason). The R419 is by fat the easiest driver to throw, easy 400ft shots if you have the room to work it. I had one roll, not well -_- archer not the arrow and it wasn't intentional, but I could see this thing getting insane roller distance. You really don't have to put any effort into it, hell I could standstill and break 300 with it. Let an older buddy throw it and he loved it, wanted to take it from me but I let him borrow a ridge and ibex for a little while so he's fine for now.

I know right? I was about to go play a round with my dad n his buddy, stewing over solomon getting his I checked the mail before I left, I swear someone may have heard a squeel or squeek from me I don't know but I was excited.

Barely getting the 420 or the Descent as id like to call it since all it does is fade! Lol I'm getting it to 300 I need to reach back more. I can get my firm lace to 500 and my mediums somewhere over 400 (they're just more stable for some reason). The R419 is by fat the easiest driver to throw, easy 400ft shots if you have the room to work it. I had one roll, not well -_- archer not the arrow and it wasn't intentional, but I could see this thing getting insane roller distance. You really don't have to put any effort into it, hell I could standstill and break 300 with it. Let an older buddy throw it and he loved it, wanted to take it from me but I let him borrow a ridge and ibex for a little while so he's fine for now.

Oh gosh the R420 sounds like it can totally kick my Ape out of my bag and be that beefy driver for spike hyzers, heavy wind, and skips! Ugh I can't wait. The R419 sounds really legendary as well. I haven't had a good turnover distance driver in awhile.

I threw the R419 on a hyzer line but accidentally threw too early and it went up about 60 feet hit flat to anhyzer and just rode it to a subtle fade into the ground went about 400 ft but 100 ft to the right of the basket. Was a very stupid looking shot but made me think of some very crazy lines I could make with such a flippy disc. Flippy in a very good way.

I threw the R419 on a hyzer line but accidentally threw too early and it went up about 60 feet hit flat to anhyzer and just rode it to a subtle fade into the ground went about 400 ft but 100 ft to the right of the basket. Was a very stupid looking shot but made me think of some very crazy lines I could make with such a flippy disc. Flippy in a very good way.

You do an awesome job of describing the protos! Really helpful and makes me want to throw them even more. Have you thrown an Ape or Nuke OS? Would you compare the R420 to either of these? And what would you compare the R419 to? I'm sure you need some more time throwing them but just first impressions?

I thought I did here, guess it was the vibram thread, but I've been so excited I can't remember. It's been a lot of fun letting stronger and "weaker" for lack of a better term to throw today. I've thrown an ape once or twice and it is definitely more overstable. For reference I throw XXX and giants and it definitely replaces the both for headwind duties, for better comparison take how the XXX flies but add some glide and a very fast flight. It is very fast.

Every katana I've thrown was kind of erratic, flippy but not in a very controlled way to compare. Bolts in GL flipped way quicker than the R419, opto would be similar but more angle sensitive and stable not as easy to gauge the flip. A faster sidewinder or roadrunner would be close but I haven't thrown either in a very long time but I only say that because of how easy they are to control.

The feedback so far is awesome! So maybe the R420 is the ODD (overstable) instead of the MODD (massively overstable).

Latest posts