• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Range Finder

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
I have been out of the game for about 7 years. I thought range finders to measure distance were not allowed but I heard Pierce talking about using one during a tourney. Did that rule change or did it not exist in the first place?

Not disallowed in 2013 rulebook. In other words, de facto approval by not disallowing it in the rule book wording.

Main reason was too expensive to expect everyone to have one or feel they needed one. It's still one of the reasons video and photo evidence is not allowed for rulings.

Interesting, I figured the video or photo footage issue was some sort of luddite influence. I figure you could omit any mention of them and people would be unlikely to use it unless cameras were rolling for other reasons.

Main reason was too expensive to expect everyone to have one or feel they needed one. It's still one of the reasons video and photo evidence is not allowed for rulings.

Really? That's ridiculous.

I always thought it was because golf did not allow them. (And I thought video/photo evidence was disallowed for the same reason- those ridiculous viewer at home calling in the golf infractions scenarios)

I'm not really sure whether I think they should be legal or not- judging distance is a meaningful skill imo.

I can't remember if any penalty resulted but a marshal observed a parent providing distance information to their junior player during 2012 Worlds a year before it was legal.

Last edited:
Really? That's ridiculous.

I always thought it was because golf did not allow them. (And I thought video/photo evidence was disallowed for the same reason- those ridiculous viewer at home calling in the golf infractions scenarios)

I'm not really sure whether I think they should be legal or not- judging distance is a meaningful skill imo.

I always thought it was because golf didn't as well. I also thought golf didn't allow them because judging conditions was an aspect of the skill of golf.

When golf started to allow rangefinders, the reasoning was that because distance was fixed, all players could have access to that information anyway from Yardage Charts. So, it was no longer a test of skill.

Golf still doesn't allow devices that measure other things like wind speed and slope (at some levels of competition). Those still test the skill of the player to judge conditions.

Which makes me wonder if disc golf should disallow wind gauges.

I always thought it was because golf didn't as well. I also thought golf didn't allow them because judging conditions was an aspect of the skill of golf.

When golf started to allow rangefinders, the reasoning was that because distance was fixed, all players could have access to that information anyway from Yardage Charts. So, it was no longer a test of skill.

Golf still doesn't allow devices that measure other things like wind speed and slope (at some levels of competition). Those still test the skill of the player to judge conditions.

Which makes me wonder if disc golf should disallow wind gauges.

Given that wind is normally gusty and variable around trees or elevation changes I doubt a wind gauge could be effectively used in competition.

You might want to send an email to all TDs that photo evidence is not allowed. I have heard many a TD tell us at the player's meeting that if there is a disc OB question, to take a pic of it and play a provisional...

You might want to send an email to all TDs that photo evidence is not allowed. I have heard many a TD tell us at the player's meeting that if there is a disc OB question, to take a pic of it and play a provisional...

If this rule was also in place because people didn't carry cameras/videocameras with them we've moved on a little.

Concerning range finders.....Bushnell is coming out with a disc golf specific range finder - it is going to show distance in feet instead of yards. They provided several pros with one of their current (displaying yards) range finders and the pros posted YouTube videos using the range finders. At one of the tournaments (Ledgestone??) Kevin Jones was shown using one.

Here's the link to the 'Dialed in Challenge" with Simon Lizotte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isgGGTDwG8s

Other pros did the same challenge.

I think a range finder is a great tool in the practice round, but not a fan of using it during competition.

Sounds like it is allowed so doesn't much matter what I think.

I think a range finder is a great tool in the practice round, but not a fan of using it during competition.

Sounds like it is allowed so doesn't much matter what I think.

I kind of agree, as the range finder take the work of learning to judge distance and most models are off by 5-10 feet. What makes no sense is the no picture rule when 95% of players cell phones can take a picture of the disc in question. I get no video as some older models or cheaper models can't do video or can't really do them as the video is very very poor but most even cheaper models as of the mid 2000's could take a photo by that point, so banning that makes no sense. I get banning the sending of video as some cell phone models or entire brands that make cell phones get a way better signal or easier to get signal then others.