• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rating 9-holers versus 18-holers

Hey thanks man! Now is it just me or do we have more 9 holers near Portland than most cities?

Probably. All of the good land for making courses is outside the city though, like all of the state parks.

You know where they need to make a sick DG course? Forest Park. Biggest city park in the country.

That course looks sweet! Too bad I'm on the wrong coast! #3 looks like it would be a fun hole to play!

I'd have to ding them for calling it Frisbee Golf on the sign though! Haha (JK):p;)

The first permanent course ever, Oak Grove, has signage pointing to the course that says FRISBEE GOLF COURSE. I laugh a little every time I arrive.

Anyway as far as this discussion goes, I don't know if my post was overlooked, but I just played a 9 tee course with 27 baskets. It was pretty amazing to see TONS of baskets all over the hillside. I gave it 3.5, which is my highest for a 9'er. Not many pictures have been uploaded yet, but I was tempted to give Rabbit Flats a 4 because I had such a good time there.

It definitely did not FEEL like a 9 hole, maybe thats why I gave it the higher rating. I agree that most other 9 hole courses in the area feel crammed in and do not have the potential to be great, no matter how you try to improve them.

Last edited:
You know where they need to make a sick DG course? Forest Park. Biggest city park in the country.

I have always thought that too! My plan is to buy a house just north of forest park and build a sweet technical course that people can come and play after hitting pier, All I need is 20-40ish acres!

I have always thought that too! My plan is to buy a house just north of forest park and build a sweet technical course that people can come and play after hitting pier, All I need is 20-40ish acres!

My in law's own 88 acres out near corsicana and I am REALLY trying to get them to let me build a course out there. They never even go on most of the land. I'm a pretty new DG player so if I can convince them I might need some help in designing a decent course.

The first permanent course ever, Oak Grove, has signage pointing to the course that says FRISBEE GOLF COURSE. I laugh a little every time I arrive.

Anyway as far as this discussion goes, I don't know if my post was overlooked, but I just played a 9 tee course with 27 baskets. It was pretty amazing to see TONS of baskets all over the hillside. I gave it 3.5, which is my highest for a 9'er. Not many pictures have been uploaded yet, but I was tempted to give Rabbit Flats a 4 because I had such a good time there.

It definitely did not FEEL like a 9 hole, maybe thats why I gave it the higher rating. I agree that most other 9 hole courses in the area feel crammed in and do not have the potential to be great, no matter how you try to improve them.

I think that Oak Grove gets to be the exception to the rule. lol ...as long as it's not called a frolf course. ugh! ;) That was my stance on courses that have multiple tee's or baskets. If it doesn't have that repetitive feel to it, than I think thats a definite positive!

3.5 is about my max.

Con: Missing 9 nines. ;)

that's about the highest you will see a 9 holer average with 10 or more reviews. I gave a private 9 holer a 4, but that was sentimental as it was my 1st private course and I played with the owner. His course has a pond and is wooded with some elevation,but most 9 holers just don't have the terrain.

If you can't award a 9-holer a 5 then neither can an 18-holer receive a 5. Only 27 holers (or more) can get 5s if the number of holes is that important.

I would give one a 5 if it had everything.

I agree. If you were playing a 9 holer that had the terrain. Wooded, elevation and water would help in my book, but who knows what a 5 disc 9 holer would look like. Sometimes the terrain is RIGHT THERE!, but is ignored.:wall:

Lime-Kiln Park in Grafton, WI has woods, major elevation, and water. This is a 9 holer, but hasn't received anything but 3, 3.5, 3.5, 4, 2, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.5, and 2.5.

If you can't award a 9-holer a 5 then neither can an 18-holer receive a 5. Only 27 holers (or more) can get 5s if the number of holes is that important.

Unless you consider 18 holes the "perfect" number for a disc golf course.

Then, a 9-holer is incomplete....more than 18 is "extra credit".

Bluemont in Arlington VA is a solid 3.5 disc 9 holer that any other 9 holer you're considering giving a higher rating to should be compared against. Three sets of concrete tees and 4 pin positions per hole (and they're adding permanent powder blue Mach V's for some of the long positions, it's probably the most disc golf you could cram into such a small urban area. Located only 10 minutes or so from the DC line and along a hugely popular bike/hike path it's got cons, but some of that is tempered by ease of access for literally thousands of folks. The long to long layout is a tough par for even a top pro and the maintenance is superb. Benches, bag hooks, landscaping, trashcans, abundant amenaties. Olorin gave it 4 discs, how's that for a testimonial. :thmbup:

Latest posts