• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings Website for Discs

Ripper

Double Eagle Member
If you were going to make a ratings site for discs what would you want rated, and what's the most important to you. Also, do you think that there is anyway to merge Discrafts, Innova, etc and their speed, glide stability charts.

I've always preferred Innova's numbering system to Discraft's...but yeah Joe's chart is really good

If you were going to make a ratings site for discs what would you want rated, and what's the most important to you. Also, do you think that there is anyway to merge Discrafts, Innova, etc and their speed, glide stability charts.

If you are talking speed ratings ect. Then Joe's is your best bet.
If you mean rating as in reviews then just wait for DGR.

I've always preferred Innova's numbering system to Discraft's...but yeah Joe's chart is really good

i did too, so why the hell did innova ditch their old chart???

i can't find that thing anywhere on the new site, and even google image searches don't turn up the entire old chart.

anyone have that thing saved as a .jpg somewhere they can link to????

(i mostly throw innova, so i don't get much use of gateway's or discraft's or even marshall street's ungodly out-dated chart.

What we really, really, really need is a breakdown on types of plastic.

All charts fail due to this alone.

If we can get an average player (about 350 ft drive), and the guts to pony out the money to mail him a disc to test and record, we can make a "comprehensive" chart. Better yet, if three people (250ft drive, 350, and 450) lived near each other we could make a beginner, average, advanced chart.

I'm sure we can cover just about every single plastic and disc out there with our resources. It would cost about $5 per disc (2.50 shipping each way).

When is DGR going to be updated? I don't go there to review or look at reviews because I don't throw discs from 20 years ago.

discgolfcenter.com uses an "innova type" rating system on all discs they sell. That's where I go to compare discs from different manufacturers. Who does it and how accurate... I don't know..., but it seems pretty close to me.

What we need is something like DGR, but keeps being updated and adding reviews. I really liked their system and it became useful when you had more than 10 people commenting on a disc as you could get a feel for what kind of player was having what kind of results for each disc and in each type of plastic. If it weren't for DGR I might not have discovered the wonder of the Roc (even though it took a while for me and the bird to really get along properly).

I think the whole thing is kind of tough. I get that a certain speeds, discs are supposed to do certain things. But it sure is difficult to compare a pro's throw to what a disc does in my noodle arm. Plus, there are skip shots and so forth. I love reading about this stuff, but it can be frustrating at the same time. I'm not sure where I am going with this except that, I feel reviewing is discs is tough.

How many threads have we had where people list opposite results. It all gets kind of blurred after while. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

I think the whole thing is kind of tough. I get that a certain speeds, discs are supposed to do certain things. But it sure is difficult to compare a pro's throw to what a disc does in my noodle arm.

This is why I shake my head at all the pro testimonials on the manufactures web site.

Ooooo.. the pro said the Wasp is a great straight mid. I think I'll run out and buy it! :doh:

Biggest problems so far with ratings: not all plastics rated individually and rating only for one level of player.

I would be happy with the disc rated at the speed intended to be thrown. That way I can simply ignore all the discs that are above my level and everything below should be true. I know Blake was discussing this but I didn't follow too closely and I'm not sure how it turned out. I think that they did the chart according to a higher caliber player pushing discs past intended speed (basically, Blake's and Dan's level).

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

I would be happy with the disc rated at the speed intended to be thrown. That way I can simply ignore all the discs that are above my level and everything below should be true. I know Blake was discussing this but I didn't follow too closely and I'm not sure how it turned out. I think that they did the chart according to a higher caliber player pushing discs past intended speed (basically, Blake's and Dan's level).

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Blake's (Joe's) ratings are based on intended flight speed, that's what the "PWR" is for. For example, If you don't throw over 375' then you shouldn't expect a disc with a pwr of 6 to fly as it is rated

When is DGR going to be updated? I don't go there to review or look at reviews because I don't throw discs from 20 years ago.

It's in the works right now. Putting all the discs/plastics in and updating the reviews to current is just taking a little time.

I like discgolfcenter.com because you can select any disc by any manufacturer and it gives you "Innova" flight number ratings. The discraft flight rating system sucks, it tells you how hard it will fade and thats it, no speed, glide etc... discrafts system fails. Then you have Gateway with a similar flight rating system to Innovas but they exaggerate all their numbers to make people think their drivers are dominant. Example a speed 13 gateway disc is equivalent to a speed 9 Innova disc because their rating numbers go higher...Gateway system fails too.

Latest posts