• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ray1970’s ITB

If you need a stop gap I've found a max weight Champ Thunderbird to be pretty much unaffected by wind up to ~25 mph but it's not so OS that it would overlap with a Firebird or whatever your usual OS fairway is

This is the best infographic that I have found to help with the wind. I actually laminated a copy and put it in my bag for windy days, when I was trying to figure it all out.

Attachments

• res_wind06_fig1l.gif
    res_wind06_fig1l.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 20
This is the best infographic that I have found to help with the wind. I actually laminated a copy and put it in my bag for windy days, when I was trying to figure it all out.

Thanks. I managed the headwinds and crosswinds decently. It was those darned headwinds that really ate my lunch.

I have a beefy Felon that was predictable but I can't get distance even with the headwind. My next beefiest disc is a fairly overstable star Wraith and that thing was really unpredictable. Felt like I was getting it out nose down on a slight hyzer but it would stand up and lift and start moving right and wouldn't come back.

I was dealing with 20+ mph winds with gusts that were much higher. Probably should have just sacrificed distance in favor of control and thrown the Felon but the course we were playing has some longer holes (a couple over 750') and I was greedy and wanted as much distance off the tee as I could get under the circumstances.

Thanks. I managed the headwinds and crosswinds decently. It was those darned headwinds that really ate my lunch.

I have a beefy Felon that was predictable but I can't get distance even with the headwind. My next beefiest disc is a fairly overstable star Wraith and that thing was really unpredictable. Felt like I was getting it out nose down on a slight hyzer but it would stand up and lift and start moving right and wouldn't come back.

I was dealing with 20+ mph winds with gusts that were much higher. Probably should have just sacrificed distance in favor of control and thrown the Felon but the course we were playing has some longer holes (a couple over 750') and I was greedy and wanted as much distance off the tee as I could get under the circumstances.

It definitely changes your game. It becomes more of course management and par/bogey scoring, rather than birdie golf.

It was crazy windy Sunday. Where were you at?

I was in Windsor @ Oxbow. It was brutal there too. You probably got more swirls with the wind coming off the interstate.

I was in Windsor @ Oxbow. It was brutal there too. You probably got more swirls with the wind coming off the interstate.

At least Oxbow is sort of in a hole and kind of has some trees so maybe that helped you a bit with the wind.

I would like Oxbow more if it didn't have twelve holes. I guess I have some weird OCD because nine is okay and obviously eighteen is okay and I don't even mind twenty-seven. Since twelve isn't easily divided by nine it makes me twitch.

I get it. Makes for a good 24. The new redesign at UNC in Greeley is a 14, which makes two rounds very long and one round very short.

I may try and play winter warriors this weekend at Budweiser. We could meet up and slap hands.

I may try and play winter warriors this weekend at Budweiser. We could meet up and slap hands.

My wife was talking about playing some event there on Sunday. Not sure if that's what you're referring to but if we end up going I'll shoot you a message.

Blowing up the top end of my bag for the weekend.

With the wind that keeps kicking my butt off the tee lately I'm taking some discs out and putting some other discs in.

I basically picked discs that I either just enjoy throwing or that historically I've always thrown very well but just don't bag these days.

We'll see how it goes for a couple of rounds.

So, lots of bag changes lately but I've pretty much decided that it isn't going to change terribly much going forward and I'm just going to focus more on playing within my game and quit jacking around with mixing up my bag.

Currently putting with classic moonshine Judges. I finally determined that I like beaded putters and that I do slightly better from circles edge with the Judge that the Wizard.

Throwing putters consist of an Envy, a Pig, and a Zone. Recently tried going just Envy and Zone but honestly the Pig just works better for my backhand.

I do sort of still rotate my mids a bit but mostly because some of them are white and have to come out during the winter. Currently bagging a combo of Buzzz and Wasp and think I'll just roll with that for now.

All of my distance duties are going to be handled by the following discs for the foreseeable future:

Innova Hawkeye (its a halo FD- don't let anyone tell you any different, even if he owns the company.)

Westside Hatchet

Dynamic Discs Escapes and Felons

Dynamic Discs Captains (seldom thrown but if big distance is critical and the wind isn't a factor then I'll throw them.)

My utility slot (which has been a beefy Firebird mostly) is still kind of a work in progress. Finally lost the Firebird for good. Auditioned a Machete which worked well but way too much ground play for my liking. I have a Splice on the way so we'll see how that works out.

Doing a big A tier tournament in a couple of weeks. Think I'm pretty happy with the bag that I've been running for the past couple of months. Really been trying to streamline the number of molds I've been throwing and also quit switching things out so often.

Putting with a pair of moonshine Judges.

Electron firm Envy, soft neutron Envy, Zflx Zone and Z Zone are covering everything short.

Two Rocs and a Roc3 cover things outside of putter range. A flat DX for flippy stuff, a glow DX for neutral stuff, and the Roc3 in star plastic when I want it to have a reliable finish at the end.

Fairway/distance duties are covered by an assortment of Craves, Hatchets, Escapes, and Felons.

Yanked anything above a speed 9 out around tax time because the distance that I gained over my Escapes and Hatchets was negligible and I'm more comfortable with the 9 speed rims.

I also picked up an MVP Rover cart to get the weight of my Grip BX2 off my shoulders for the tournament. I can carry everything I need and then some in the backpack but it gets pretty heavy when I start adding hydration, my retriever, snacks, etc.

Cart is killer on second round days at opti/pessimist.

We shall see. I played it last year and just carried the backpack and it really wasn't a huge deal only playing one round each day. Maybe by the third round the bag was feeling a little heavier.

I used to own a Zuca backpack cart so I do know that not carrying the bag around generally leaves me a little more energy late in the tournament. Not sure if having any extra energy will show up on my scorecard but it can't hurt.

Slight thread drift to document my travel bag. Going to be flying so not really wanting to fly with my normal bag so cobbled together some spares and backups and skipped a few slots and going kind of minimal.

Using A Grip G2 as it should be easy to use for the flight as my "personal item" and fit beneath the seat in front of me. Also, for a small bag it leaves me room for extra stuff like towels and a light windbreaker/rain jacket.

Prime Judge for putting
Electron firm Envy
BT medium Harp
RPM Piwakawaka
Buzzz
Hatchet
Escape
Felon

Still plenty of room in the G2 for a few more discs if I decide to but mostly going to be playing wooded courses on the upcoming trip so I should be able to cover everything. May add a beefier mid but maybe not.

Latest posts