• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rebuilding CLard's throw

Great analysis from sw, and the problem with over opening is that the cause can be many things.

As you fix the problem of bracing properly, the timing will be affected. Once you get the extension happening more closed, you will get a much more consistent release point as well as a more powerful hit. Something about over opening the shoulders just saps the hit, I think it's related to the angle of the arm to the disc.

Great analysis from sw, and the problem with over opening is that the cause can be many things.

As you fix the problem of bracing properly, the timing will be affected. Once you get the extension happening more closed, you will get a much more consistent release point as well as a more powerful hit. Something about over opening the shoulders just saps the hit, I think it's related to the angle of the arm to the disc.

Okay, I did some field work today where I tried really really hard to brace against the inside of my front foot and rotate my hips more internally. From a couple snap shots it looks like that may have helped with the over opening a bit.

My throws from today all looked more like the top, and the bottom one was from previous field work. Improvement?
15936313428_b958396a1d.jpg
15917900277_feedfdee86.jpg

This certainly wasn't perfect, but it's a huge transition to make and I think I felt a positive change on a handful of throws. I had a few that flew out of my hand with what felt like no effort but went as far as I had been throwing before when I was trying to kill it. I'm also trying really hard to shorten my stride a bit.

Definitely improvement. Your balance on your front foot is slightly toward your heel, you can't really see from the side view, but your chin should more toward your toes and you want to land a little more on toes then heel(you land a bit flat footed). You can still load more into the rear leg, you are driving your rear side more more upward and tipping over instead of rotating forward and more under. You want to drive your knee forward driving your hip and when you finish your knee/leg should be just hanging under your hip.

You want a little more forward tilt shoulders towards knees/compression during your throw:

Improvement?

Yeah, huge improvement and the effortless shots are a good sign that you are taking advantage of the hit. Definitely looking like it based on where you are holding to.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2014/12/a-kinematic-chain-is-you.html

Regarding shifting to the instep, I tried to address this in the video in this post. Just like in skiing, you initiate turns from the inside foots big toe. Transferring to the plant foot is the same thing.

I had some 300' putter throws yesterday that were amazing. I don't think I've ever thrown a putter 300' without odd circumstances, but these were legit 300', straight line aviar throws.

The main thing I changed was that I tried to do a really slow, very short (for me) x step and I had some booms. Multiple FDs out to 350-370 and some 320ish rocs. So cool. I'll post some video when I get a chance to edit it.

Any time I'm throwing badly I almost always need to remember to either keep my arm relaxed, lead with the hips, or slow down. When I try to go too fast I lose all of the timing that uses feet/legs/hips and then it all goes to hell. Gotta remember that.

Some days when I really manage to plant closed and get the shoulder hesitation that allows the arm to whip through hitting lines feels about 20x easier. Over opening is such a power and accuracy drain it's ridiculous.

sidewinder, the video is blocked due to some music. any way to reupload part 2 without the music? would love to see it

nope, on a computer.... click it and get this message...... this video contains content from sme who has blocked it on copyright grounds

Weird, it's the same music, maybe needs time for approval wherever you are. It plays for me logged out on another computer.

I get the same thing. Part 1 okay, Part 2 copyright message. This is at home on a desktop PC.

I played one of the hardest courses in the Harrisburg area yesterday for the first time in about a year, and I really saw how much progress I've made. Lots of shots that I used to have to crush I threw mids or fairway drivers at like 75% and was getting more distance than I've ever gotten on that course.

The weather is finally nice again so I'm going to post more video this week, but I've hit 330-340 with my rocs/ghosts in the last week as well as getting a few 310-320 putter throws. All the throws feel lazy and easy. I isolated a couple things that are the most helpful thoughts that get me going in the right direction: lead with the butt, get the weight shifted while the butt is still leading, stay closed into the hit.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Don't loose that laziness/looseness/relaxedness, you'll have days when you're struggling and it will probably be the result of trying too hard!

Oh yea, I have that day just about every other day. For so long I was just trying to crush the disc, and it's a hard habit to break. Thanks for the encouragement!

Latest posts