• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Recommend an understable fairway

I spent a year beating in my Champ Leopard to be the kind of disc OP is talking about (and then promptly lost it once it was perfect!)

This is why I like Pro Leos so much. If I lose one, I know a new Pro off the shelf isn't too far behind in terms of 'perfect'.

I started carrying some 150 class Pro Leos (mostly for elevation rounds in the mountains). At my normal elevation though (5300') they are great for flipping up and watching that graceful slow turn.

If you like DX in those discs and want a true premium plastic then try Champion plastic, they will fly closest to the DX when bran new.

I have a 175g Champ Teebird, a 166g DX Teebird, and a 175g DX Teebird --- all pretty fresh.

IF the 175g DX is a true 7/5/0/2, then the 166g DX is probably more like a 7/5/-1/2, and the Champion is more like a 7/4/0/4. I've really struggled to find a use for the Champion as a backhand disc.

My wife and one of my friends each have a red and orange gstar sidewinder and always throw the same colored ones on the same hole. They're always walking to the wrong disc.

I threw one for the first time today and I can see why they like them. Maybe I'll try one for winter or if I lose my 10 Northmen.

its so easy to throw and controllable and long and doesnt completely get thrown around in the wind

i love a gstar for winter dg

IIRC Hatchet is Westside's version of the Fury. Both are very understable, but I don't quite have the arm speed yet to Hyzer Flip a Fury and have it note fade out after it moves about 300 feet. It is a great hyzer flip to full s-flight for me though.

I haven't thrown a Fury, but it does appear that their flight ratings are similar. That being said, I bagged Ballista Pros for a bit; you said you can get those out to 350', and that is a very power hungry mold. If you can get a B Pro to 350' then you should be able to throw a Hatchet 300'+ with minimal fade pretty easily. Any fairway driver will have some fade, but Hatchets don't fade much when considering their rim width and distance potential. Just my $0.02.

Yeah Ballista Pros are a huge power sponge, but surprisingly very easy distance, especially the 160 class goldlines. What amazed me most about them was the ability to get as much distance as my full S flight Shrykes, but with a straight to fade flight.

I'm so used to ripping them hard and flat now that I should go back to my Shrykes for a round or two to see how they do.

I think if I were to get a Hatchet, I'd look for someone's real beat up Hatchet.

Just to update on my ventures into this hyzer flip to late turnover shot.

I got my 150g dx leopard, 150g dx tl3, and 166g dx teebird in the mail, and decided to use them. The teebird would definitely need some working in, it's just too stable out of the box. The leopard is the opposite, as in it's just too understable out of the box. Even with a good amount of hzyer on release, its turn is too dramatic.

The 150g dx tl3 however, was straight up money the couple times I threw it on my local long wooded course. A slight hyzer release at about 80% power, and it flipped up to flat about 100 feet out, rode flat for an additional 100-150 feet, then had the most beautiful and subtle late turn to it I've seen for the last 100 feet. If I had to guess, it would drift right from flat probably around 20-30 feet at most, over the course of that 100 feet of distance. TL3 in premium plastic is already a super straight mold with good integrity, so it didn't surprise me that this lighter weight dx had good integrity to it as well.

I obviously have concerns though. Being 150g, that rules out any headwind play, but this disc was primarily to be used for tight wooded lines anyways. Moreso is the dx plastic. I'm hoping that it just doesn't become beat into something straight up unusable, because the flight out of the packaging is so money. I know a steeper hyzer release can alleviate that, but only time will tell. For now though, it's pure gold.

Understable fairway drivers are one of my favourite things to throw. I recently have a new favourite from a brand I'm not super familiar with generally...

Discmania Essence.

I love that I can absolutely rip into this disc, and with the right height, it will give me HUGE distance on a full turnover line without burning out. Smooth hyzer flips, and lower power laser-beams. It feels amazing in the hand, and easily has the most glide out of any other fairway I've thrown.

Just to update on my ventures into this hyzer flip to late turnover shot.

I got my 150g dx leopard, 150g dx tl3, and 166g dx teebird in the mail, and decided to use them. The teebird would definitely need some working in, it's just too stable out of the box. The leopard is the opposite, as in it's just too understable out of the box. Even with a good amount of hzyer on release, its turn is too dramatic.

The 150g dx tl3 however, was straight up money the couple times I threw it on my local long wooded course. A slight hyzer release at about 80% power, and it flipped up to flat about 100 feet out, rode flat for an additional 100-150 feet, then had the most beautiful and subtle late turn to it I've seen for the last 100 feet. If I had to guess, it would drift right from flat probably around 20-30 feet at most, over the course of that 100 feet of distance. TL3 in premium plastic is already a super straight mold with good integrity, so it didn't surprise me that this lighter weight dx had good integrity to it as well.

I obviously have concerns though. Being 150g, that rules out any headwind play, but this disc was primarily to be used for tight wooded lines anyways. Moreso is the dx plastic. I'm hoping that it just doesn't become beat into something straight up unusable, because the flight out of the packaging is so money. I know a steeper hyzer release can alleviate that, but only time will tell. For now though, it's pure gold.

Yeah man if it's giving you the turn you want now when fresh, I wouldn't have high hopes for a super long lifespan. Didn't read the whole thread, caught a bit of Casey saying something about champ being closest to dx then skipped to the end. Just came here to say the most consistent turnover shot in my bag is from beat in dx eagles. They are so money from fresh to beat. Would strongly recommend, they start with a healthy fade and just get better the more you beat them in. Like 165-170ish is perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand all the DX plastic recommendations. I will say that I used to throw a lot of DX, but you end up spending a LOT more money constantly replacing them, and they just change WAY too fast and then become completely unthrowable after a few rounds. Find something that throws great or maybe SLIGHTLY more stable than you're looking for, that feels solid in the hand, and get it in a more premium plastic such as Star, ESP or Z. You'll grow with the disc as it slowly seasons, and it will stay in the sweet spot many times longer than DX ever will.

I really don't understand all the DX plastic recommendations. I will say that I used to throw a lot of DX, but you end up spending a LOT more money constantly replacing them, and they just change WAY too fast and then become completely unthrowable after a few rounds. Find something that throws great or maybe SLIGHTLY more stable than you're looking for, that feels solid in the hand, and get it in a more premium plastic such as Star, ESP or Z. You'll grow with the disc as it slowly seasons, and it will stay in the sweet spot many times longer than DX ever will.

What molds were you throwing in dx that became "unthrowable"? I guess I could see this happening with high speed drivers, but my entire bag is almost all dx , I have at least 50 rounds with these discs , and none of them are close to unthrowable.

OP - just noticed you have a 166g DX teebird. Probably beefy right now, but that thing will beat into the straightest, glidiest disc you own. If the comet was a fairway driver, it would be a beat dx teebird

What molds were you throwing in dx that became "unthrowable"? I guess I could see this happening with high speed drivers, but my entire bag is almost all dx , I have at least 50 rounds with these discs , and none of them are close to unthrowable.

OP - just noticed you have a 166g DX teebird. Probably beefy right now, but that thing will beat into the straightest, glidiest disc you own. If the comet was a fairway driver, it would be a beat dx teebird

I have to agree with this. I play a lot with mostly DX stuff, plenty of woods and RARELY to I end up with a disc that's unthrowable. drivers especially tend to become more usable for me.

I'm thinking if I could find a GStar TL3 in the low 150s, it would be pretty similar, but beat in much slower. One thing I don't like one bit about the DX plastic is how stiff it is-- makes power gripping feel awkward. When control gripping it's quite alright, though.

I hear a lot of good things about the Essence, but I don't know how it'd compare directly to my Fury and 150g dx tl3.

I'm thinking if I could find a GStar TL3 in the low 150s, it would be pretty similar, but beat in much slower. One thing I don't like one bit about the DX plastic is how stiff it is-- makes power gripping feel awkward. When control gripping it's quite alright, though.

I hear a lot of good things about the Essence, but I don't know how it'd compare directly to my Fury and 150g dx tl3.

Dx starts out really stiff then beats in softer.

If you decide you don't want that teebird hit me on pm. I'd definitely be open to a trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy, where do I start.... thrown everything from Leopards, destroyers, Teebirds, wedges, Rocs, stringrays, thunderbirds... I'm sure there's more.
They're flight path just changed so fast that it's hard to trust them, and get to the point that they have large gashes that they get really flippy and also don't feel very good in the hand.

To each their own, but I sure as hell won't trust any dx more than any of my star or champion molds.

For instance, I throw a star leopard. It's still a bit stable but it's starting to get a lot of turn, and I can throw it in huge turnovers without the worry of burning out. I also know it's going to throw the same for a LONG time. Dx just doesn't do that.

Yeah I mean ideally I wouldn't want to deal with the durability of DX (or even pro for that matter), but as it stands right now I'm not finding much in this speed range in a premo plstic that is seemingly as flippy as a lightweight DX driver.

You know there is a mold that I've been kind of turning a blind eye to, and that's the Diamond. That might also be what I'm looking for. Seems understable enough.

My go to shot for this slot is an Archer, I'm currently bagging both an ace race ESP disc and a Z plastic. For holes in the 250-280' the archer is great, anything longer than that and it's too flippy for me.
This was my first experience with plastic making a difference in the disc. The esp disc now gets used mostly for standstill approach shots where I don't have a forehand lie or 220-250' ish tee shots where I want to hyzer flip with late turn that doesn't fight back. Usually if I try to go any longer it'll turn throwler.
The Z plastic is great for 200-250' tunnel shots, on a bit of hyzer it'll flip to flat, drift left then finish with a baby hyzer (LHBH) thrown off the tee I give it 30-45 degrees of hyzer angle and let it flip to flat about 70-100' down the fairway, then lazily drift left before finishing back towards the center but still a bit left of the tee.

All of that said. The Archer may not be as long as you want. When I first started playing the archer was among my longest discs (thanks understability and glide) but as I slowly improve and my form gets better I'm able to put other "understable discs" like DX teebirds out into the 300-320' range. That has me on a similar hunt for a disc that flips and turns like an Archer, but can cover longer distances like a teebird. I suspect eventually my teebird will beat into that, and when that happens I'll live in fear of the day I lose it and have to start the cycling process over again.

My go to shot for this slot is an Archer, I'm currently bagging both an ace race ESP disc and a Z plastic. For holes in the 250-280' the archer is great, anything longer than that and it's too flippy for me.
This was my first experience with plastic making a difference in the disc. The esp disc now gets used mostly for standstill approach shots where I don't have a forehand lie or 220-250' ish tee shots where I want to hyzer flip with late turn that doesn't fight back. Usually if I try to go any longer it'll turn throwler.
The Z plastic is great for 200-250' tunnel shots, on a bit of hyzer it'll flip to flat, drift left then finish with a baby hyzer (LHBH) thrown off the tee I give it 30-45 degrees of hyzer angle and let it flip to flat about 70-100' down the fairway, then lazily drift left before finishing back towards the center but still a bit left of the tee.

All of that said. The Archer may not be as long as you want. When I first started playing the archer was among my longest discs (thanks understability and glide) but as I slowly improve and my form gets better I'm able to put other "understable discs" like DX teebirds out into the 300-320' range. That has me on a similar hunt for a disc that flips and turns like an Archer, but can cover longer distances like a teebird. I suspect eventually my teebird will beat into that, and when that happens I'll live in fear of the day I lose it and have to start the cycling process over again.

Heat or Sidewinder might give you 20-30 more feet. (Star SW, Z Heat). Pro Valk you could try as well. I bought one recently and it's about -3/1 at 350.

Others you could look at DD Vandal, Lat Fury, Legacy Mongoose.

Latest posts