• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Recommend an understable fairway

My go to shot for this slot is an Archer, I'm currently bagging both an ace race ESP disc and a Z plastic. For holes in the 250-280' the archer is great, anything longer than that and it's too flippy for me.
This was my first experience with plastic making a difference in the disc. The esp disc now gets used mostly for standstill approach shots where I don't have a forehand lie or 220-250' ish tee shots where I want to hyzer flip with late turn that doesn't fight back. Usually if I try to go any longer it'll turn throwler.
The Z plastic is great for 200-250' tunnel shots, on a bit of hyzer it'll flip to flat, drift left then finish with a baby hyzer (LHBH) thrown off the tee I give it 30-45 degrees of hyzer angle and let it flip to flat about 70-100' down the fairway, then lazily drift left before finishing back towards the center but still a bit left of the tee.

All of that said. The Archer may not be as long as you want. When I first started playing the archer was among my longest discs (thanks understability and glide) but as I slowly improve and my form gets better I'm able to put other "understable discs" like DX teebirds out into the 300-320' range. That has me on a similar hunt for a disc that flips and turns like an Archer, but can cover longer distances like a teebird. I suspect eventually my teebird will beat into that, and when that happens I'll live in fear of the day I lose it and have to start the cycling process over again.

I've gone through a couple of 175g DX Teebirds. For me, they don't start to turn. I beat the fade out of them, but they flip to flat and just fly straight.

I grabbed a 166g DX Teebird and it actually turns a bit for me straight off the shelf at around 280-300 feet, with all the fade of a fresh 175g. Not sure if it will turn more as it beats in.

My Z Heat might be my all time favorite disc and it makes some really nice subtle S curves. It is what that 166g Teebird wants to be when it grows up.