• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Relax while making your drive?

You're sacrificing a lot of power by tensing up at the beginning of your throw. You don't really need to put anything into it until the disc passes your right pec for a RHBH throw. That's when you really want to begin accelerating. Tensing up before that just makes that late acceleration more difficult.

I do not drink and smoke but I did for years, so I do not care if they do if they do not care if I do not.
I have played about 4 rounds and today I got worse at the game. I know I have to high of expections, and think I should be getting par on most time. I bought a bunch of disk and cannot throw any of them. So I am going to put most of them away and just throw 4 of them and learn to throw them. And I am going back to having fun rather than getting better.

Last edited:
I like your plan topdawgy58. Most of us carry way too many discs. Our "muscle memory" gets all confused, we break our backs from the weight, and we stress out on which disc to throw.
It really is all about having more fun anyway. So, lighten up! - really!
I'm betting you will improve more and enjoy more on this plan anyway.
After 6 weeks (if you can wait that long LOL!) take that whole stack out to your "driving range" - the ball field - and throw them all back and forth for an hour, then decide which 6 discs to carry for the next 4 weeks. Or was it 4 discs for 6 weeks?

the best way to relax really well is to fool yourself into thinking that you're 37 over on the second hole. For me, my best scores have been when I lie to myself like that while still keeping track of my real score. Because I feel like I'm doing so bad, I simply don't care which means I relax and play super well.

I'm not a very consistent driver by any means, but I don't get stressed about my drives often. My putting can get bad if I think "Man, I really need to hit this to make up for that bogey" etc. This sounds really cheesy, but what I do is after I throw my upshot or as I'm walking up to putt I tell myself, "I can get this. This is an easy putt. Line up, toss it in. Easy. I can hit this." I think that keeping a clear mind while putting is crucial. This sometimes means you need to step back, breathe, reset and step up again clear and ready to sink it.

I find a huge diffrence when I am relaxed, instead of tense. My throws are longer and more accurate. I do smoke and drink (though I don't drink much, maby 1-2 beers), and I think that helps a little bit, but relaxing your mind, taking a deep breath, and streching make a much larger diffrence. When I've got someone at home that's giving me regular, good, massages then I play twice as good, my muscles are relaxed and able to flow smothly. I also find that I play more relaxed when I'm on less crowded courses, something about waiting behind people makes me more tense. Another thing I have noticed about playing more relaxed and better, is that if I am playing with people who I feel intimedated by, I am more tense and therfore play worse.

Keep Hucking
-Chris UPDGA #0001

I drink Dr. Pepper by the gallon and smoke like a freight train. I need the nicotine and caffeine to drive the blood through my cholestrol blocked veins. LOL

I have found that when I step on the tee box if I assume my starting stance then relax about about 10% of the tension in my entire body (especially in the arms, shoulders and back) before I start my approach to the drive, this really helps.

I say about 10% because if I get to loose and goosey, no telling where the disc will go. LOL

Another thing that helps me alot is to start my approach to the drive slowly and accelerate at the end. The slower, the better.

Woodpecker

The best way to execute a great shot is to stand on the tee box and envision the disc flying write where you want it to go. Concentrate on where your aiming and fire away. Its the same thing that regular golfers do.

Go to a field and re-teach your muscles to throw about 75% power. You will find that the discs are flying just as far if not further. It's all about timing. Be smooth.

I've found that when I'm tense, my accuracy is all off, sometimes even to the ground. I get on the tee pad, breathe slowly, and spin my disc on my finger until I'm done studying the shot. Then I let loose!

I've been making a concious effort to remain lossed and relaxed when throwing, and wow, it is really having a result.

I've been playing a lot of mid-putter, ot putter rounds lately, and I find my distance is getting closer and closer to where my fairways normally end up: working on smooth release, but also finding that perfect point between loose and tensed up.

I'm quite mentally relaxed while driving, but physically can be a bit tighter than I probably should. I think it starts with my grip on the disc. I feel like it's hard to loosen my body without loosening my grip on the disc.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! As a beginner, my drives are getting more consistent each time I'm out on the course; however, my putting is still horrendous. I can be 5-10 feet away from the basket and still miss the basket. I think that takes more talent than actually making the putt! :p I'm going to keep this all in mind next time I'm out throwing.

Naturally, I'm an extremely competitive person. I try to go out to my local DGC and play 2-3 times a week, and I'm always keeping track of my score. However, the last two times I have been out, I haven't kept track of my score. I have tried to focus more on my technique and less on my score. I should know this basic stuff though, in terms of focusing on relaxation and muscle memory. I played competitive soccer for over ten years, and I played at the collegiate level my freshman year of college. I was a goalkeeper. I had to remain relaxed, yet focused. If I didn't, it would cost us a goal.

I'm quite mentally relaxed while driving, but physically can be a bit tighter than I probably should. I think it starts with my grip on the disc. I feel like it's hard to loosen my body without loosening my grip on the disc.

Yes exactly - tough to reconcile.

You crescendo through the pull from totally relaxed to an explosive state. This includes your grip as well. Any energy used at the beginning of your pull is gone and won't come back later in the pull. Look at the forms of Paul & Will, they are the perfect visual representation of this process.

I quit playing for almost 3 years...

After returning to competitive disc golf about 6 months ago I have found two things to be most challenging: getting into physical condition to play 2 day / 4 round tournaments and the feel for timing and touch from reach back to release.

The thoughts leading up to your run up and throw will determine what changes your body undergoes - physiologically. Training your mind to create a sense of confidence and trust in your body comes with time, and becomes habit. Pay attention to the thoughts, become aware of the correlation, and allow your fine motor skills to perform at a high level.

Easier said than done.

Jordan

I just started playing a little over a month ago and have found myself to be mostly relaxed while driving, which is how I always was when I golfed. It's putting that I sometimes overthink and tense up some because of my competitive side and desire to smash the chains. Some of my best putts however have been after the smoke has gone around a bit and I just get in a nice groove. Gotta just try to get in that groove from the start.

Latest posts