• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reviewing 9ers vs 18ers

i appreciate when reviewers who are experienced golfers give their evaluation of the level of the course using red, white, blue, gold labels.

Not all of us live in a geographical area where red/white/blue/gold really mean anything.

Also, as someone who is used to playing courses with a single tee and a single basket (that could be in different positions) when I have the opportunity to play a course with multiple tees and/or baskets it can be confusing unless signage is very good.

If I told you a course was a good blue level course I'd just be blowing smoke because I really have no idea what that means.

fair enough. an even bigger problem is that few courses actually correspond to those labels. most are a mix of difficulty levels across different holes. even more so on courses that have multiple tees and basket positions.

I just read a review by someone who gave a 9-hole course in Massachusetts Five Discs, and the same reviewer also gave Maple Hill in MA Two Discs. Maybe they get tired after 9 holes. Some people prefer TV dinners over Chateaubriand too.

Where I live there aren't a lot of 9-hole courses, but 3 of the 30 courses I've reviewed are 9-holers. I don't think I treated them any differently than an 18-hole course, since I usually go around twice anyway whenever I go there. A nine-holer that is fun to play twice and has a bunch of interesting features and strategic choices is just as good as an 18-holer. Really it doesn't matter how many holes there, although I suppose 9 should be a minimum, and some sort of formal teeing areas. Otherwise it's just a practice field with baskets.

I just read a review by someone who gave a 9-hole course in Massachusetts Five Discs, and the same reviewer also gave Maple Hill in MA Two Discs. Maybe they get tired after 9 holes. Some people prefer TV dinners over Chateaubriand too.

Where I live there aren't a lot of 9-hole courses, but 3 of the 30 courses I've reviewed are 9-holers. I don't think I treated them any differently than an 18-hole course, since I usually go around twice anyway whenever I go there. A nine-holer that is fun to play twice and has a bunch of interesting features and strategic choices is just as good as an 18-holer. Really it doesn't matter how many holes there, although I suppose 9 should be a minimum, and some sort of formal teeing areas. Otherwise it's just a practice field with baskets.

Yeah, looks like he gave MH a 2 disc based on being disgruntled over pay to play and some "sass" from the guy in the clubhouse. I think the entire experience should have some input on your rating, but should not dictate it. I think stuff like that is better covered in the review, not the rating. BUT......telling others how to review and rate courses has never really worked.

Latest posts