• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH on dogleg left/ RHBH dog leg right

I think FH anhyzers and turnovers are harder to do well - BUT, that's my "weak shot". The speed:spin ratio is different on the FH shot, so it's easier to get the turnover but harder to get it to hold that line to the ground.

For the distance you mentioned I need to throw a hyzer flip, I can't anhyzer that far, especially in the woods since annies need height. So I would hyzerflip a Roadrunner, still with some height, aiming a little left so it has room to turn and move right.

A lighter Champ Valk might surprise the heck out of you, especially after you beat it in a bit.

Or a Sidewinder.

Unfortunately, that is a REALLY REALLY touchy shot, where the slightest error can really hurt you...

I find the sucess of any anhyzers I throw to be extremely dependent on my ability to read the wind. If I use the same understable disc on the same hole on two different days, I often get vastly different results. That's why I worked so hard to learn RHFH. Having the disc fade in the right direction every time is very comforting. Even the bad shots end up as easy pars most of the time.

Rollers are incredibly useful for the same reasons. Assuming the lay of the land allows for it. :)

Since I improved my rhfh form I very rarely throw anny's. I threw the ships and tangents last night for about 15 min (field next to my house) mostly hyzer flipping the tangent and going gentle hyzer/anny with varrying power (more for hyzer and less for anny's) on the ships. I also messed with varying grips, and more vs less air.

That long left to right is so so sexy when it hits just right.

I find a rhbh/anny much easier to throw (when paired up with a understable disc) compared to throwing a rhfh. I will admit I still need better consistency when making this throw.

I think FH anhyzers and turnovers are harder to do well - BUT, that's my "weak shot". The speed:spin ratio is different on the FH shot, so it's easier to get the turnover but harder to get it to hold that line to the ground.

For the distance you mentioned I need to throw a hyzer flip, I can't anhyzer that far, especially in the woods since annies need height. So I would hyzerflip a Roadrunner, still with some height, aiming a little left so it has room to turn and move right.

Very good post sir. Thinking about it now... over powering the mids with a hyzer is putting them on an anny line without throwing as high.

Now to figure out which one has enough fade to keep it from turning over all the way, but not enough to completely fight out of the anny.

A lighter Champ Valk might surprise the heck out of you, especially after you beat it in a bit.

Unfortunately, that is a REALLY REALLY touchy shot, where the slightest error can really hurt you...

The valk sounds like a good tester. It is def a touchy shot, but well worth the effort. lol it isnt hurting me any worse than my backhand.

A rhfh player gets more practice throwing anhyzers than a drunk guy pisses.

The world is rhbh. Dogleg left is the holy grail of course design. So righty hyzer tunnels are as common as mosquitoes in a swamp (and just as welcome to the counterclockwise minority :gross:).

The easiest way to figure out a particular hole is to play that particular hole over and over and over. So fill your bag with discs for this particular hole and go out and do target practice.

The disc and line which will work best for you are dependent on your power and skills. Some turns are so difficult your best option is to lay up and settle for a par. Some turns have low or high gaps. Some turns are blind poke and hope.

Ask the best local lefties what they do with this hole. Maybe someone has figured out a line you didn't think of.

Until and unless the OP figures out a BH he will need every annys at every distance. Get used to it.

A rhfh player gets more practice throwing anhyzers than a drunk guy pisses.

The world is rhbh. Dogleg left is the holy grail of course design. So righty hyzer tunnels are as common as mosquitoes in a swamp (and just as welcome to the counterclockwise minority :gross:).

The easiest way to figure out a particular hole is to play that particular hole over and over and over. So fill your bag with discs for this particular hole and go out and do target practice.

The disc and line which will work best for you are dependent on your power and skills. Some turns are so difficult your best option is to lay up and settle for a par. Some turns have low or high gaps. Some turns are blind poke and hope.

Ask the best local lefties what they do with this hole. Maybe someone has figured out a line you didn't think of.

Until and unless the OP figures out a BH he will need every annys at every distance. Get used to it.

Blind poke and hope lol, and i am used to it (no need for tone) just curious as to what others do in the situation. As far as local lefties go, I don't know or play with any. Mostly just friends. One of these days I'll make it to league.

I am a RHFH dominant player and I cannot hit a gap to save my life with my BH. Even if I can throw with the right release (anhyzer/hyzer/ hyzer flip/etc.) to hit the line correctly, and get an easy birdie, hitting the gap is the most challenging and important thing in my mind.

With my tendency to spray my shots left and right Backhand I would rather opt to throw FH turnovers and anhyzers to ensure I hit gaps and set myself up to take 3's.

I will throw backhand if it is an easy wide open hyzer, where I can pull it a little wide or leave it skinny and still have a long putt for the birdie. This is the only situation where BH is the safer shot for me.

I feel like my game jumped to the next level when I learned how to throw controlled turnovers. It really develops your touch and teaches you how to control the disc. This type of control is invaluable as it will teach you how to shape other certain lines you may otherwise never learn.

Its valuable to be able to throw a shot that fades both right and left, but at the same time, I urge that you do not let that be your crutch. Learning to really control the disc one way while having the 2nd option to get out of trouble is more of a formula for long term success in my opinion.

Last edited:
I am a RHFH dominant player and I cannot hit a gap to save my life with my BH. Even if I can throw with the right release (anhyzer/hyzer/ hyzer flip/etc.) to hit the line correctly, and get an easy birdie, hitting the gap is the most challenging and important thing in my mind.

With my tendency to spray my shots left and right Backhand I would rather opt to throw FH turnovers and anhyzers to ensure I hit gaps and set myself up to take 3's.

I will throw backhand if it is an easy wide open hyzer, where I can pull it a little wide or leave it skinny and still have a long putt for the birdie. This is the only situation where BH is the safer shot for me.

I feel like my game jumped to the next level when I learned how to throw controlled turnovers. It really develops your touch and teaches you how to control the disc. This type of control is invaluable as it will teach you how to shape other certain lines you may otherwise never learn.

Its valuable to be able to throw a shot that fades both right and left, but at the same time, I urge that you do not let that be your crutch. Learning to really control the disc one way while having the 2nd option to get out of trouble is more of a formula for long term success in my opinion.

Great post. It's not so much a crutch as a band aid until the bh shows to be reliable and trustworthy. I must say though I'm enjoying learning the left tracking shot. Soo many new lines, it's opened up completely different approaches for even non dog leg left holes.

In the next few weeks when life slows down I'll be grinding out a lot of field work.

First things that come to mind is understable plastic. And rollers, but you said they didn't treat you well (you don't practice them enough;)). Also, thumbers and tommys.

*I'm a little hesitant to add this, but if you can control oat, it's the best way (imo) to control the distance a disc travels before turning. For late turns, I use something understable and oat it nose up and hyzerish; for early turns that pick up distance after the dogleg, I use something overstable and oat it nose down and annyish.

Great post. It's not so much a crutch as a band aid until the bh shows to be reliable and trustworthy. I must say though I'm enjoying learning the left tracking shot. Soo many new lines, it's opened up completely different approaches for even non dog leg left holes.

In the next few weeks when life slows down I'll be grinding out a lot of field work.

Glad to hear you are working on developing the Backhand and enjoying it.

My advice with line shaping and field work is to find a nice tree grove where you visually pick lines through the trees and practicing carving them. I find line shaping practice in an actual open field is not as helpful.

Best of luck!

I'm trying out an underworld for a shot like this. I too am right hand forehand and am hoping I can hyzer flip this thing into a smooth turnover.

I'm trying out an underworld for a shot like this. I too am right hand forehand and am hoping I can hyzer flip this thing into a smooth turnover.

Is this what people are using underworlds and tursas' for? I'd like to know how your testing turns out. I've been wanting to experiment with those but I'm scared it will be waayy too under stable. People seem to love them though. They fly out of the marketplace.

Latest posts