• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Richmond,VA or Washington,D.C.

JMONEY

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
A recent promotion has been offered and a relocation across the country is part of it. I will move and choose between Virginia or D.C. areas. Disc courses are main factors on my decision. Convince me why I should choose either.

Richmond by a landslide. Good courses within and better ones just to the west north east and if u go south a few hrs u r in north Carolina DC has a nine holer and a thorn riddled open course. I can't imagine anyone choosing the pricier DC over the less expensive and better DG option in and around Richmond. Ask Biscoe though he's the expert around those parts.

i would pick richmond just because of the traffic differences

I would pick Richmond because I moved to DC from Richmond and want to move back. I hate the traffic/congestion/house prices of DC and I greatly miss my course in Colonial Heights. It's central VA you can go to just about any part with in a couple hours.

What job is it that you get to choose between the two?

richmond is a much better place to live imo than the dc area- largely due to travel woes in nova. cost of living in richmond is much more reasonable as well. for local dg i would probably go with richmond as well. i would call bryan vs giles roughly a wash and richmond's other courses are better than nova's other courses which (other than bluemont) are pretty weak. nova would get some points back for proximity to several very good maryland courses.

spotsylvania is half way between the 2 and offers virginia's best area for dg imo.

I would pick Richmond and I live in DC. We have had 13 murders in the first 11 days of the year. There are no courses here unless you drive into arlington, looks short on a map but it is hell. Rent is astronomical too. A house that se3lls for 80,000 in Western NY sells for 400,000 here. I paid 400 a month for a larger apartment than I got for 1400 a month in DC.
The crime, traffic, cost, lack of DG, poor schools, and somany other factors say GO TO RICHMOND!

Last edited:
I agree with everybody, in fact I'm looking for excuses to move into Virginia but that isn't likely to happen any time soon. If you end up choosing DC..... Do not move into Maryland or D.C. city limits..stay on the Virgina side of DC.... Virginia's taxes are significantly less.

Keep this in mind, wherever you end up living, a course 10 miles away can easily become a 45minute drive. Base your desision on other, more sensible elements of living.

"Do not move into Maryland or D.C. city limits..stay on the Virgina side of DC...."

^^this. I Grew up in the Metro area, and I have lived in all 3. (DC,MD,&VA) Regardless of DG, pick VA

G'luck!!

DGCR within ~55 miles stats

Ignoring all the very valid points about traffic and cost-of-living ...

The Frederickburg/Spotsylvania area is roughly equidistant (~55 miles) between Richmond and DC, so what other courses are within ~55 miles of each city? Courses with >3=rating and >10=reviews in bold

Richmond:
  • Bryan Park [Reviews: 37 - Rating: 3.95]
  • Brookland Middle School DGC [Reviews: 7 - Rating: 1.57]
  • Dunncroft - Castle Point Park [Reviews: 17 - Rating: 2.94]
  • Gillies Creek Park [Reviews: 18 - Rating: 3.00]
  • New Hanover Presbyterian Church [Reviews: 9 - Rating: 2.50]
  • Dorey Park [Reviews: 21 - Rating: 3.36]
  • Camp Hanover DGC [Reviews: 2 - Rating: 3.50]
  • Goyne Park DGC [Reviews: 14 - Rating: 2.79]
  • Pharaoh's Tomb @ White Bank Park [Reviews: 12 - Rating: 3.13]
  • The Monster @ Fighting Creek [Reviews: 12 - Rating: 2.54]
  • Fort Lee Rec. Park [Reviews: 2 - Rating: 2.50]
  • New Quarter Park [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.36]
  • Lancer Park [Reviews: 2 - Rating: 0.75]
DC:
  • Bluemont Park [Reviews: 20 - Rating: 3.48]
  • McLean Central Park [Reviews: 15 - Rating: 1.63]
  • Calvert Road Park [Reviews: 24 - Rating: 3.23]
  • Burke Lake Park [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 2.98]
  • Giles Run @ Laurel Hill Park [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 3.97]
  • Pohick Bay Regional Park [Reviews: 15 - Rating: 2.43]
  • Darnestown Swim & Racquet Club [Reviews: 8 - Rating: 3.13]
  • Seneca Creek State Park [Reviews: 28 - Rating: 4.21]
  • Bull Run Regional Park [Reviews: 17 - Rating: 1.06]
  • Stonewall Middle School [Reviews: 2 - Rating: 1.00]
  • The Eagle's Claw [Reviews: 7 - Rating: 1.29]
  • Rockburn Branch [Reviews: 34 - Rating: 3.51]
  • Kinder Farm Park [Reviews: 9 - Rating: 2.00]
  • Patapsco Valley State Park [Reviews: 35 - Rating: 4.09]
  • Silver Creek DGC [Reviews: 6 - Rating: 1.17]
  • Druid Hill Park [Reviews: 22 - Rating: 3.59]
  • Naval Surface Weapons Station [Reviews: 4 - Rating: 3.38]
  • Heritage Farm Park [Reviews: 11 - Rating: 2.77]
  • Middletown Park [Reviews: 14 - Rating: 2.43]
  • Goucher College DGC [Reviews: 14 - Rating: 2.54]
  • Woodsboro Regional Park DGC [Reviews: 13 - Rating: 2.92]
  • Pine Grove Middle School [Reviews: 13 - Rating: 2.88]
  • Hot Shots DGC [Reviews: 7 - Rating: 3.64]

Last edited:
Ignoring all the very valid points about traffic and cost-of-living ...

The Frederickburg/Spotsylvania area is roughly equidistant (~55 miles) between Richmond and DC, so what other courses are within ~55 miles of each city? Courses with >3=rating and >10=reviews in bold

The DC metro area does have a few more courses, but man oh man can it take you a while to get to some of those courses.

The DC metro area does have a few more courses, but man oh man can it take you a while to get to some of those courses.

Yah, but once you learn the traffic patterns you'll be OK. Get a place near an Metro stop to get to work and you will be golden*

* Assuming that your work is near a Metro stop, and that it never snows. :p

I like DC but I like Richmond for Disc more.

No matter how well you figure out traffic patterns.
20 miles on D.C. roads Est. 45 min. of travel.
20 miles on Richmond roads Est. 25 min. of travel.

Closer to The Grange complex and Hawk Hollow.

In short, Richmond.

Richmond by a landslide. Good courses within and better ones just to the west north east and if u go south a few hrs u r in north Carolina DC has a nine holer and a thorn riddled open course. I can't imagine anyone choosing the pricier DC over the less expensive and better DG option in and around Richmond. Ask Biscoe though he's the expert around those parts.

What other cities/towns in Western VA would feed an appetite for a DG'r.

Lynchburg/Bedford is becoming a bit of a hot spot and they have a very active club out in that part of the state. Charlottesville is the only other western town I would say maybe about.

What kinda work do you do that is letting you have such a broad choice in where to live?

charlottesville has as many or more good restaurants per capita as anywhere. courses are outside of town and spread out though...

lynchburg is owned and operated by jerry falwell.

winchester would give you proximity to some decent courses as well as relatively easy access to maryland and pawpaw.

I like DC but I like Richmond for Disc more.

No matter how well you figure out traffic patterns.
20 miles on D.C. roads Est. 45 min. of travel.
20 miles on Richmond roads Est. 25 min. of travel.

Closer to The Grange complex and Hawk Hollow.

In short, Richmond.

the worst part of the dc thing is that the 45 minutes per 20 miles can easily morph into an hour and a half for 20 miles on any given day.

for a city it's size richmond has almost no traffic problems.

Mrs. zenbot (Centreville resident for most of her life) also picks Richmond.

DC, northern, central, western, but no interest is the Beach!?

Latest posts