• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

right pec drill question

jspector

So I've watched Beato's vid several times and though I had a good idea of how to do the right pec drill. I stood with the disc hugged against my left pec (I'm a lefty) and therefore my elbow was bent. I then basically snapped my elbow out and threw the disc with little to no body rotation. Now my elbow hurts and I really believe that this has led to me strong arming the disc more. Can someone explain to me the hip and shoulder rotation involved in this "drill"
thanks...

Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I had some of the same elbow pain issues, but after following these exercises the pain went away. I also do exercises 1 & 2 before I throw which has helped a lot too.

Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I had some of the same elbow pain issues, but after following these exercises the pain went away. I also do exercises 1 & 2 before I throw which has helped a lot too.

thanks for the info, i am going to give this a try, i am not a doc so i am not sure exactly how these help with the elbow issues but i am sure willing to try anything

Watch this so you can learn how to work the right pec drill without strong arming and learn to get your body into it.

Watch this so you can learn how to work the right pec drill without strong arming and learn to get your body into it.

This is the best fix to bad right pec drills.
If you can't snap then you can't do the right pec. You'll end up locking your arm straight out thinking that's what causes snap.
This is my one big gripe with the right pec vid, they make no attempt to explain the steps you need to take prior to right pec so you end up with a bunch of guys with sore elbows :\

So I've watched Beato's vid several times and though I had a good idea of how to do the right pec drill. I stood with the disc hugged against my left pec (I'm a lefty) and therefore my elbow was bent. I then basically snapped my elbow out and threw the disc with little to no body rotation. Now my elbow hurts and I really believe that this has led to me strong arming the disc more. Can someone explain to me the hip and shoulder rotation involved in this "drill"
thanks...

Beato said in one of his posts (I can't remember which one now) that your arm should be straight, but your elbow should be slightly bent at the hit. This is to prevent hyperextension, which IMO is what happened. At the moment of release your whole arm AND shoulder should be firm. You allow your body to continue rotating as much as it needs to dissipate the remaining force (aka follow through).

This is my one big gripe with the right pec vid, they make no attempt to explain the steps you need to take prior to right pec so you end up with a bunch of guys with sore elbows :\
To be fair, when the video was made there were no other drills developed before the right pec drill. Now it's probably best to do the hammer pound drills first and then use the right pec drill as your first actual throws. You pound the hammer from the right pec position but actually throw the disc. Once you can do that then you add a reach back and more steps. Though sometimes it helps to start with a bit of a reach back and a step to get the feel for the weight transfer, but going back and making sure you can do it from the right pec after that is a good idea.

The arm should never completely extend. You should "punch the disc out" with a sudden direction change (of the arm/hand). If your elbow is locked, you'd have to unlock it before the direction change and you'd be decelerating very close to the hit.

I have a couple questions of my own.

How does the right pec drill differ from the closed shoulder snap drill?

I can't get my elbow as high as Beato's seems to be; is that critical, or should I just have it at a comfortable height?

Are there vids/pics of drills that start closer to the hit? It's called "working the hit backwards" but the hit is only the last 10% or so. I've tried working on it on my own, but my body positions are not right.

Last edited:
How does the right pec drill differ from the closed shoulder snap drill?

The closed shoulder drill teaches you to not be robotic in your movements. That each preceding motion should be accelerating the next. It can teach you not to strong arm the right pec and to flow through the motions correctly.

I can't get my elbow as high as Beato's seems to be; is that critical, or should I just have it at a comfortable height?

You don't have to hold it as high as beto. Play around with different pull heights to see what fits your body best.

Are there vids/pics of drills that start closer to the hit? It's called "working the hit backwards" but the hit is only the last 10% or so. I've tried working on it on my own, but my body positions are not right.

The hammer pound drills will give you the feeling of what a good hit feels like.

You aren't trying to throw like this, just get the feeling by going through the motions slowly:

1. Get really comfortable with the hammer pounds.
2. Eliminate any reachback or body rotations for now.
3. Try to get the hammer pound feeling when you do the right pec drill.
4. Blake's rail pictures are good for fine tuning and understanding.

Rinse and repeat as needed. This stuff can take a while(years) to get down.

The closed shoulder drill teaches you to not be robotic in your movements. That each preceding motion should be accelerating the next. It can teach you not to strong arm the right pec and to flow through the motions correctly.

The hammer pound drills will give you the feeling of what a good hit feels like.

You aren't trying to throw like this, just get the feeling by going through the motions slowly:

1. Get really comfortable with the hammer pounds.
2. Eliminate any reachback or body rotations for now.
3. Try to get the hammer pound feeling when you do the right pec drill.
4. Blake's rail pictures are good for fine tuning and understanding.

Rinse and repeat as needed. This stuff can take a while(years) to get down.

If you don't have a multi-piece throw, should the right pec and closed shoulder drills feel the same?

Hammer pound is fine, but it only focuses on the arm. I was hoping for something more full-body.

If you don't have a multi-piece throw, should the right pec and closed shoulder drills feel the same?

Yes.
If you:

1. Start the pull at the right pec. ( or mid-line of your torso if pulling lower)
2. Aren't rushing your shoulders or strong arming the right pec drill.

Hammer pound is fine, but it only focuses on the arm. I was hoping for something more full-body.

That's the whole thing. You want any body motions you add to make the hammer pound stronger.

You have to experiment.

So, you have the hammer pound. Add some shoulder rotation. If the way you add shoulder rotation makes the pound stronger, keep it, else find another way that will. Same for hip rotation, run-up, etc.

The hammer pound feeling is the hit.

Links to hammer pound drill vids please. I only saw Blake's 9 second vid on youtube. Unless that's all i need. Thanks again.