• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right Turn Throws and Discs

FiveV

Hi Guys,

What discs do you use for right turn holes?
What type of throw?

I have a really hard time with these.

Forehand throw. Any disc will fade to the right for a right hander. If it is a sharp throw, firebird, if it is a more gentle one, teebird.

I am guessing that you don't throw forehand and that you are a RHBH thrower, so here is what I use in these circumstances.

For Aproach Ani shots and throws under 200 feet, I use the Discraft Stratus.
For most Ani drives, I use the Latitude 64 Vision.
The last thing I would like to add to this is what I use for Hyzer-Flip Long Range Drives. I was looking for a disc that would take off in a hyzer position and turn over easy for a long time before coming back to the left just a little bit. For this one, I use the Discwing Quarter K II

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm a RHBH thrower and hyzer is my natural throw. I am practicing anhyzers and forehand shots on these right hand turn holes. I have yet to perfect the best way to go for me. Id really love to throw a RHBH hyzer that goes right :)

sols...its a millenium driver, one of two millenium discs i have in my bag, but when i need a long straight shot with a soft fade to the right towards the end this is the disc i use, you can throw it on a hyzer and it will still turn over, dont try to force it over, just throw it like you want it to go straight.

for a shorter hole i would go with a roadrunner, very good turnover or roller disc

For midrange right turning shots, I use a DX Wolf, and for soft right turning drives, or for longer range drives I use a SS Avenger. This disc is also good for a hyzer-flip shot.

I throw RHBH any time that I can. I just use as much anhyzer as needed for right turning holes with the following disc selections.

My DX Avair P & A's are great from 200' in for me. From 250' and in a DX Stingray. And for anything longer I have a Champion Sidewinder. I have to be really careful not to turn it over too far and make a roller throw accidentally. My 175 Millenium JLS will also hold an anhyzer line well at distance.

If you're just learning to throw anhyzers, I'd recommend just throwing some toss and catch with a regular frisbee for a while. I'm nowhere near a pro at all, but I think that it's a really good way to learn technique of anhyzer angles, etc. My friend and I used to set up in a field and throw at each other trying to hit center mass. We'd throw straight, hyzers and anhyzyers. It was kind of like trying to hit the strikezone with a disc. As we got better, we'd increase the distance of the throws.

I hope that this helps.

I use a monarch or leopard, depending on the range...throw them flat and a little higher than normal and they turn right nicely..,

If the left side is open sky or at least big enough gaps I will throw a thumber. If I have to throw backhand I've used a Stratus and beat up pro-d Buzzz with success as long as I release them flat and fast. 'As long as' being the operative part of that statement. :)

If you're just learning to throw anhyzers, I'd recommend just throwing some toss and catch with a regular frisbee for a while. I'm nowhere near a pro at all, but I think that it's a really good way to learn technique of anhyzer angles, etc.

I have found that the release needed to throw a Frisbee is with a lot of hyzer (they flip up naturally). I think this is a great idea, but I would also try using a putter and see if that works even a little better in learning the proper release angles.

I use a beat in DX Roc for most of my turnover shots. Leopard or Sidewinder for longer throws and beat DX Aviar for short annys.

For me there are 2 easy choices.

1 - Midrange - I use a Discraft Stratus, This disc fly's just like a Buzzz or a Roc would, however it fades to the right with stunning predictability. I love it.

2 - For longer shots - I use an Innova Sidewinder or an Avenger SS, The Sidewinder will pull over more consistently for me (It's in Champ plastic) and at the tail end of it's flight it will come back very little. For the Avenger SS I have to throw harder to roll (even though it is basically the same as a Sidewinder). But it is better for me on longer shots, or hyzer flip style shots.

just my .02.

OH BTW - I wanted to add, for all of these shots, I release perfectly flat, no hyzer or anhyzer....just a nice straight (flat) release.

For long right turns I throw a Star Roadrunner. For short midrange right turns, I throw a Discraft Stratus. For going around a tree or something, I just throw my Soft Magnet with a lot of anny.

I have a really beat up wraith that flies right for me perfectly. My recommendation is a beast if you have the arm speed you can just let the disc do all the work and it'll take really nice right turns for ya. Otherwise there is always the forehand...or the hammer/tomahawk

Ya, beat up a disc- really bad.
I had a Teebird in Dx that I beat to oblivion.
It would fade right instead of left but with very little loss of distance.
For a new disc I would stay go for the lightest most understable disc you can stand.
That should go right for you.
Just my two cents...

I have a 155 Monarch, and that thing will turn right. I would use it, but I get more distance out of my Star Roadrunner. About 100ft more.

*For a shorter hole that turns right off of the teebox, I will throw a Discraft Buzzz anhyzer.
*For a shorter hole that turns right later in the fairway, I will throw an Innova Stingray (hyzer flip).
*For a longer hole that turns right late in the fairway, I will throw either a Vakyrie or Beast (hyzer flip). I love throwing that shot when you get the disc to turn when you want it to...it's a beautiful thing.:D

Nice to see some love for the Stratus here. That's what I use when it absolutely positively has to turn right. (And doesn't need to go more than 200 feet.)

Latest posts