• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roadtrip to AZ - KS, NM, UT, CO 2/21-3/6

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Mandabear and I are heading to the Memorial exactly 6 months after my accident to play my first new courses and first tournament since I broke my foot in August. I can't wait to get back on the road!!

As always I'm open to suggestions for courses to play (please check my courses played list, always looking to play new courses), and open to anyone joining us to show us around, always looking for unique experiences, let me kn ow about unlisted private courses please!! Also, unique shops, museums, good beer and food.

2/21 - Drive to KC
2/22 - Wake up in the morning and play either Jesse James or Bad Rock Creek (or open to suggestions) then drive to the NM border or so.
2/23 - Play a course in Albuquerque then drive to Phoenix
2/24 - 2/28 - Memorial!!!
3/1 - 3/6 - Make our way back to Wisconsin via Southern Utah/Colorado (weather will factor in, detours will happen, could change drastically, no real set itinerary other than we need to be back in WI by Friday night).

Got any DG happening this time of year? Any other compelling reason to come to that area?

I'd say it's fairly likely we pass through on I70, probably that wed or thurs, but I'm not making any promises.

2/21 - Drive to KC
2/22 - Wake up in the morning and play either Jesse James or Bad Rock Creek (or open to suggestions) then drive to the NM border or so.
I've played JJ and its a decent small town course, but have been hearing raves about BRC. I'd suggest the latter.

If you're passing through Wichita, I'd be open for a morning round, but it doesn't sound like you're gonna have time with that long a drive. Have a safe trip.

It's possible Wichita might make more sense to stop for a round if we either get some miles on the road before we play on the 22, or make it farther on the night of 21. Is either Old Oaks or stone creek worth checking out and maybe could work into your schedule? For now I'll still plan on BRC or JJ, but is still up in the air as the time approaches.

WCG are you down to play in Denver that wed or thurs?

I live in Albuquerque and, to be honest, you should skip it and play a course in Northern AZ. Thorpe, McPherson, and NAU, all in Flagstaff, are better than the 3 courses we have here.
If you have to stop in ABQ to play, go to Brent Baca Memorial DGC.

Is either Old Oaks or stone creek worth checking out and maybe could work into your schedule?
Stone Creek is somewhat decent, but kind of hampered by some holes that are somewhat sadistic. Old Oaks just underwent revision and I haven't checked out the upgrade yet, but I don't have high hopes considering how bad the original layout was. Still kind of a work in progress.

Nonetheless, the 22nd is a Sunday and I'd have to be at work by noon. Don't think that's gonna be manageable unless we were starting by 9:30 or so.

I second what KRISTY said bout albuquerque. I really enjoyed the Show Low area of AZ.

New plan for the start of our trip. Weather forecast sucks. One town on our primary route, Dalhart, TX is forecast for 6+ inches of snow and wind. I'm going to try and beat the system, we're driving through the night through OK City and Amarillo to try and make it to Abq with enough daylight tomorrow to throw a round.

That way we get one extra day of sunshine rather than a long full travel day of snow and ice.

Well, we nearly beat the weather system, looks like we're going to catch the front edge of it in Wichita, going to keep pushing on.

First new course in 8 months! Roosevelt park Albuquerque, yeah we planned to be to phoenix by now, but our alternator said otherwise

If you're traveling down the 40 on your way to the 17, it would be nice if you could stop in Flag to chuck some plastic but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate.

First new course in 8 months! Roosevelt park Albuquerque, yeah we planned to be to phoenix by now, but our alternator said otherwise
Eeek. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Not a bad course for 18 pads and 10 baskets, huh?