• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

So it sounds like it goes Champ Rancho>RocX3>Star Rancho on the OS spectrum? Really interesting to hear about the glide. Would like to have the OS/durability of Champ plastic but the glide/distance of DX/KC. Local stores have them in stock, so I will have to test one of these out.

Stupid. Plus. Rims.

I just measured the inner rim 3 different Rocs:
Star Rancho Roc: 2 degrees off of vertical
Champ Roc3: 3.5 degrees off of vertical
Champ RocX3: 3.5 degrees off of vertical

I wouldn't call my RocX3 a plus rim at all. It doesn't even feel different from the Rancho when I hold it... 1.5 degrees must be below the "just noticeable difference" threshold for me.

Have you heard that they were supposed to be plus rimmed?

SaROCaM said:
So it sounds like it goes Champ Rancho>RocX3>Star Rancho on the OS spectrum?
I disagree. I have no experience with Champ Ranchos above 150g so I will leave that one off the list... the rest for me go like this:
Champ RocX3>Star Rancho Roc>Champ Roc3
Caveats:
I only have one Star Rancho (DX is just fine for me) and its domey.
I only have one Champ Roc3 and one DX Roc3. Again, DX Ranchos get the nod from me.

I just measured the inner rim 3 different Rocs:
Star Rancho Roc: 2 degrees off of vertical
Champ Roc3: 3.5 degrees off of vertical
Champ RocX3: 3.5 degrees off of vertical

Well, I've got two RocX3s, and they feel awfully plussy to me. But most new Innova discs feel that way to me. They just sit so differently in my hand. Old man will stick to his old Rocs I suppose, except for over water.

With what super-accurate machine are you measuring those tiny increments?

angle finder. It isn't as accurate as what I have at work but it is good enough for 0.5 degree resolution.
AngleFinderFrontFullSize.jpg

Are your Champ Roc3s protostar stamped? Mine is.
I wonder if they have toyed with the mold already... it wouldn't surprise me I guess.
FWIW I like the DX Ranchos the best for general use. They are sooooooo sweet!

Last edited:
Rocstikas.
And no, they haven't tweaked the mold (yet). On trusted authority.
Your fancy angle finder is measuring .5 degree increments? POIDH. Because these feel plussy.

Stopped by the local shop and picked up a protostar RocX3. It does feel plussy to me. Will get to throw this weekend.

I saw in the videos that McBeth is using the RocX3 at the GBO. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.

how does this compare to an Eagle Glow MD3? i know they're the most stable, besides the elusive Luster MD3s, but since the MD3 is the headless Roc, is the RocX3 still more OS than an Eagle MD3?

how does this compare to an Eagle Glow MD3? i know they're the most stable, besides the elusive Luster MD3s, but since the MD3 is the headless Roc, is the RocX3 still more OS than an Eagle MD3?

I haven't thrown a RocX3 yet, but I'd assume it's more stable than an Eagle Glow MD3. The Eagle's are the most stable MD3 (except maybe luster), but don't fly anymore stable than a new run of the mill Champ Roc3 for me.

I haven't thrown a RocX3 yet, but I'd assume it's more stable than an Eagle Glow MD3. The Eagle's are the most stable MD3 (except maybe luster), but don't fly anymore stable than a new run of the mill Champ Roc3 for me.

Agreed. I have not yet thrown a RocX3, either, but after watching McBeth throwing them at the GBO, and knowing from my own personal experience that the MD3 (even the Eagle glows) is like a Roc3 and not particularly overstable, I'd say the RocX3 is going to be more overstable.

id like to try one these potentially, or hopefully the new MD4 will be a headless version of this. i bag a gator for that spot now, but might be able to sneak this in a spot lol

I've gotten to throw the Rocx3 my buddy has. It really does fit right between a Gator and a Roc3. Definitely more overstable than the Glow EM MD3's. The rocx3 has a bigger and more blunt nose to it. Almost looks like they put an X-spacer in the Roc3. Can't wait for the regular production run. If a gator is too much stability for you, but a roc3 isn't enough, then you'll probably like the Rocx3.

Next time I see you I will have you throw my Luster MD3. I'm hoping that the MD4/RocX3 will kick out the Verdict that I picked up at April Showers 12 after blowing the playoff hole with my MD3.

The biggest problem has been finding them. I'd love to get my hands on one of these, but they're just not available. I wish these would go into full production.

I was at a PIAS the other day that had 5 or 6 of these. I'll stop by today and see if they have any left.

Latest posts