• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run-Up vs. Stand still

btothej89

Par Member
So i´ve been doing some fieldwork today. It´s pretty rainy atm where i live so i throw from a stance still stance basically every shot.

My question to you guys is, do you always throw with a run up, no matter what conditions there are or do you opt for the stand still when the teepad is slippery?

Since i am still working on my drives pretty heavily especially my x-step and overall throwing motion, i prefer throwing from a stand-still. It gives me way more accuarcy and i lose only about 15ft. compared to my run up drives.
Thats kinda odd thinking that i basically only use my arm strength and bodyweight transfer and nothing more.

Distancewise how far can you throw from a stand still compared to your run ups?

I like to throw from a step or run up most of the time but can throw from standstill as well. Both are good to learn and work on. Ever seen the distance with Dion- Discraft Clinic on YouTube? There are a few others which help explain where the "distance" power comes from and that's the ground up.

Its likely you are just "strong-arming" the disc and not getting any weight shift with the same distance no matter what your body or feet are doing. Hips/leg generate way more power than your arm. Let it be a lever for the power your core generates.

It's really easy to be inefficient with a run-up. I throw backhands without a run-up quite often because I feel it's easier to be accurate in really tight tunnel shots. I feel much more in control of my body mechanics if I'm on a hill or slippery tee pads if I'm just rocking from my back leg to my front. Adding in a step where I'm putting more pressure on my plant foot has caused me to slip more often than I'd like to admit.

I'll take a small x step from a dry tee pad even if it's not for adding distance, but because it's become habit - especially if I'm looking to hit a line that has a specific "feel" like throwing a hyzer line with a mid... probably because of practicing it so much, it feels better with the small step into it.

In terms of distance gained with a runup on a drive, I can increase about 100' by adding it. The biggest difference seems to be that I am driving my hips much harder... it doesn't feel like I'm throwing the disc any harder with my arm.

Last edited:
When I watch Mike C. videos, I'm convinced that a massive run-up isn't necessary. The guy has a deceptively simple technique, and can bomb from a stand still as well.

i don't throw standstill drives very much in fair weather unless the hole is *VERY* short. i throw long approaches from a standstill almost always. not exactly sure why, but i just feel more comfortable sitting behind my disc on an approach shot and doing a runup on any hole over 200'. it seems to work for me.

during the winter here when the teepads are ****ty it's a different story: i just bring a shovel and broom and do the best i can. if i feel that i might slip then i will go ahead and throw from a standstill. there is no sense doing a "runup" if you aren't planting firmly because you're not sure of yourself. it WILL screw with your head and mess your game up.

as far as rain goes . . . unless i'm throwing from mud/grass i'm going to treat it like a bright and sunny day. i won't slip on wet concrete unless they finished it too smooth . . . like warehouse cement floor style smooth.

my "run-up" is just a hop forward and i think that plays a big part in my confidence. i push off with my left foot to get my weight moving, hop with my right foot, then the momentum going forward and coming down loads my rear leg with weight. after that it's just catching that push forward with my right leg and KABOOM (just kidding, i wish). haven't found any teepad too small yet! gains me 100-120' easily.

Depending on your experience and your strength, run-ups can be either imperative or unnecessary. I'm pretty new to the game, but like most n00bs I wanted to try to throw the disc a country mile every time I was on the tee-pad. I have found (through trial and error) that not only am I not getting much more distance with a run-up, I'm losing accuracy exponentially when I do one. I've since decided that I'd rather shoot for par from the tee and be accurate than have to shoot my upshot from the woods.

It's all about you, bro. How you throw and what it does for you. If you're accurate with the run up and get more distance out of it, work it.

When I watch Mike C. videos, I'm convinced that a massive run-up isn't necessary. The guy has a deceptively simple technique, and can bomb from a stand still as well.

It isn't.

Though Mike can throw farther than I can, I'm maybe 5'7 135-140 soaking wet and can reach 450 with a fairly small run up. I compare driving to serving in tennis when others ask about distance/technique - it's all in the rhythm.

I throw standstills very comfortably but do prefer at least a little run up if available.

I watch a lot of Mike Cs vids on youtube and noticed myself that he only has a really small run up, he is also pretty much a beast compared to me (5,8 130lbs), not quit sure how tall he is though?!
I gonna work on my run up the next couple of weeks and see what i can do with it.

I think being able to do both, a nice run up and accurate stand still throws, will greatly increase my overall game.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

It depends on conditions. If the pad is icy, slippery, etc...... i will stand still. if the pad is nice and clean and i wont slip then i will use a run up. also i only throw about 250 ish stand still maybe shorter and my run up is average 350 ish. i have hit over 400 on it though.

I gave up on a full runup a while ago as it was negatively affecting my accuracy. I throw with what I'd describe as a big one-step delivery. I bring my front foot to just behind my back foot, and then go from there. It is very much like the last step coming out of an x-step.

But if the pad is slick I don't even feel comfortable with the big step. I played a round last week on slick, muddy teepads and found that I couldn't trust that my front foot wouldn't slip out on the plant. So I threw from a standstill and just shifted my weight from front to back. It shortened up my drives some but at least I wasn't worried about falling. I'm too old for that...

Unless it's a really short shot or my lie is encumbered I always do some sort of run up. I definitely need more field work for my standstills, but my release point almost always seems off when I really have to put something on my standstill shot. With a run up, I've got the timing down well enough that I typically release on the line I need and can get the distance desired.

I don't really do a run up per-se, more of an x step without any other steps before it. That is the pinnacle of my distance and accuracy when I use that method. I only do standstills if the hole is a short one, the teepads are crap, or my x step timing is all off and I cant throw worth a crap that day with my x step. I can get decently farther with my x-step drive than a standstill, unless I am having an off day. If I try to do a runup on my drive, it is horrid. I need to work on adding one step to my current driving routine.

My question to you guys is, do you always throw with a run up, no matter what conditions there are or do you opt for the stand still when the teepad is slippery?

I played with a guy from out of state last month who drove from a standstill and lined up his shot by stretching his empty arm/hand/shoulder out toward the basket, with a full pull back on the disc then froze in that position for about 3-5 seconds. I wanted to giggle the first time I saw it then he ripped a 400' drive to park the hole.

We didn't run into a longer hole before my friends showed up and I parted ways with the stand still guy but I was curious to see if he could throw any further than that with no walk/run up.

I played with a guy from out of state last month who drove from a standstill and lined up his shot by stretching his empty arm/hand/shoulder out toward the basket, with a full pull back on the disc then froze in that position for about 3-5 seconds. I wanted to giggle the first time I saw it then he ripped a 400' drive to park the hole.

We didn't run into a longer hole before my friends showed up and I parted ways with the stand still guy but I was curious to see if he could throw any further than that with no walk/run up.

For the past year (my first playing dg) I threw exactly as you describe. I would line up my stance, hold the disc at the release point and angle I wanted, and visualize the line for a few seconds, then reach back and hold it until it felt right, then drive. There are so many things to think about when you're first learning that I got into the habit of running down a checklist sort of. Disc angle.. Grip, wrist down, ok, start with the legs, don't pull with your arm, blah blah. I don't know how helpful this was, but by the end of my first year I was throwing about 350 from a standstill, with pretty good accuracy. However, this sort of "cold" start was really prone to glitches in timing that could be totally awful. And I definitely feel like I'm still mostly arming it. I recently started adding a slow X step, and though weather hasn't let me work on it much, I feel like the timing is much cleaner.

Speaking from the old-guy division, I stopped using the X-step about two years ago and really haven't missed it. I normally throw about 375-400 on an open hole since I have really started concentrating on technique. The other benefit I see is that you are more prepared for a longer throw once you are off the teepad and onto the hole itself. My knee started hurting on my plant foot from the X-Step to the point where finishing a round became an issue because of old injuries. Since stopping the X-step, that has gone away.

One other unforeseen benefit is my shoes are lasting a lot longer without the foot drag etc on the teepad. More money to spend on discs instead of shoes. :)

I can get a little too fast with my form with my run up but when I've got the rhythm it's gold. I can do well from a standstill and will use it on 250 feet or less tunnel shots.

It's easy to not mess up with no run up.

Without runup = high floor and a low ceiling (I won't end any trees but I won't park it either)

With runup = low floor and high ceiling (I might hit a tree but if I don't it's parked)

Latest posts