• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run-ups with hills

IsaacIRL

Bogey Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
The other day I was playing, and I noticed that I could not get a very good run-up with any sort of hill. And it was really messing with my game. Anybody else having this problem? Any ideas on how I could fix this? Or do I just need to do a standstill?

Stand still for sure. Learning how to throw standing still will help you way more often than learning how to run up on a slanted surface.

Standstill. Some mellow hills you can get a run-up but steep ones you don't want to risk it. FH is good for these shots.

Standstill. Some mellow hills you can get a run-up but steep ones you don't want to risk it. FH is good for these shots.

this.

besides giving you a more accurate shot, you also don't want to risk hurting yourself.

It's already been said, but standstill is the safe bet. If you need the distance a forehand run-up isn't nearly as difficult/dangerous, so consider this if you have the shot in your bag.

Like the others have said, standstill. But if you insist on having a run-up of some sort, don't run. Keep your feet moving slowly. The only thing that has to move quickly is your arm.

FH shot is the safest, most accurate, and most consistant shot if you have the shot and are comfortable shooting it, if its on a rocky hill, standstill is best, but if its a smooth surface, take a step or two, but not a runup, enough to make momentum, not kill it.

Work on a standstill shot.
If your form is good, you should get at least 75% of the distance you would get with a full run-up.
BTW, use less stable discs uphill and more stable discs downhill (or is it the other way?)

I think the other way around depending on what you want the shot to do. Putters off hills are great.

BTW, use less stable discs uphill and more stable discs downhill (or is it the other way?)

no, this is correct as a general guideline. less stable will give you more d uphill and more stable will allow you to control the shot a bit better on the downhill. of course this depends on the amount of elevation change.

I agree with the stand still notion for uphill/down hill shots. However, if I need that extra bit of oomph I have a modified run-up for these situations. I can generate a very good amount of distance from a stand still so I don't get to use this method that often. When I do get to, this is what I do.

I remove my X-step all together. I feel this is the hardest part of the run-up for uphill shots. I use a 2 step crow hop instead. Another way to describe it is like a sideways skipping action. By doing this I eliminate a few steps in my walkup. Which makes for less concentrating on foot placement and more focus on your release. I usually don't throw harder than 75% using this method. I feel any harder than this will throw the whole motion out of whack for me.

This is a method that works for me. May not work for you. It's just a way I have found to combat this type of sticky lie. Good luck on those hillsides!!!

I think what's really difficult about getting a proper run up on a hill is getting your weight shift correct. Many people don't even get it correct or even think about it on flat ground, so when they get to a hill it changes quite a bit and throws everything off. Learning what proper weight shift feels like and then figuring out how to get it on a hill will benefit your throw a lot.

Latest posts