• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

S-Curve with Forehand?

JILF

I just started playing Disc Golf this summer and I recently have begun to develop my forehand. Now I can drive it around 250 feet most the time, which is about the same as my backhand. I have notice that on some of my throws that my disc will fly in an s-curve that is the opposite of what my rhbh shots will fly in when I s-curve those. This has become quite frustrating, as I don't intend to do this, and my disc will start to s-curve when I want it to hold a line and then fade right. Right now I am throwing a 171g Champion Teebird for my forehands. I was wondering what I am doing to wrong to cause this unintentional s-curve. I already have some ideas but I want to see what everyone else thinks as well.

Well discs at high speeds will always curve a bit before they fade, that could be one problem. The other could be the release point of your forearm

I am a newbie and my form on a forehand is probably all wrong but for me if I want to curve a forehand left I lift the wing up and fling it, If I want an S-curve I throw it with the wing flat or a tad bit down. If I want to go to the right I leave the wing down almost at a 45 degree angle to the ground. When I throw the disc it always straghtens out a little so I have to exaggerate a little before the throw.

My Tee-Bird always does a nice S-curve when I forehand it. I love it when it does this it is usually a great shot. It is when it goes left and doesn't come back that frustrate me!

I am pretty sure all overstable discs do this when you forehand them. I am not sure what an understable disc does as they just dive into the ground and roll for me!

If you want your disc to turn right just lower the wing of the disc at an 45 degree angle and throw it. I exaggerate like this because my wrist always straightens out when I throw it. If you want it to go left, use a backhand.

Well discs at high speeds will always curve a bit before they fade, that could be one problem. The other could be the release point of your forearm

haha kirschbaum has a profile for 5 seconds and all ready has 6 posts and one on your thread Jeff.

I have notice that on some of my throws that my disc will fly in an s-curve that is the opposite of what my rhbh shots will fly in when I s-curve those.

Not sure if this answers part of your question, but the reason the s-curve is opposite backhand to forehand is that the disc is rotating in the opposite direction. RHBH the disc is rotating clockwise, RHFH the disc is rotating counter-clockwise.

As to keeping your disc from s-curving, the T-Bird has a zero high-speed turn rating, and a moderate low-speed fade. You shouldn't see a lot of s-curve on this disc when thrown flat. I would check to make sure your not releasing the disc with some anhyzer on it. Otherwise, you might try a T-Bird-L for an even straighter flight. Good luck!

Sounds like your releasing with a slight anhyzer angle like around 2 o'clock. You would want to be closer to 3 o'clock.

I've only been playing two years, but I throw 75% RHFH drives and have become pretty accurate. I use a 171 star teebird (it's a little beat up) for most of my drives where I want that s-curve with the slight fade at the end. I would recommend using a very overstable disc, if you want it to go right and stay right. I start all my RHFH drives with the disc nearly perpendicular to the ground, and get that s-curve action, unless it's overstable. I've been using a few different discs for the RHFH shot to the right: whippet & mirus lat. 64, have worked for me...I prefer the small rim for RHBH. Good luck

I start all my RHFH drives with the disc nearly perpendicular to the ground, and get that s-curve action, unless it's overstable.

If that's the case, you might call it more of an overhand than a forehand. What does your elbow do during your throw? This sounds like an interesting technique.

Im so confused at what angles people are throwing. Perpendicular could be overhand or underhand? 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock? What type of S, left to right or left to right?

I RHFH sidearm my cheetah at about 5 o'clock and it will turn right and then turn left. When I RHFH sidearm my flick at 1:30 o'clock it goes left to right.

Guess I should have said 5 o'clock or the "wing" pointing down...I start it that way to keep myself from pulling it over...

Im so confused at what angles people are throwing. Perpendicular could be overhand or underhand? 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock? What type of S, left to right or left to right?

I RHFH sidearm my cheetah at about 5 o'clock and it will turn right and then turn left. When I RHFH sidearm my flick at 1:30 o'clock it goes left to right.

I only try to throw after noon and before 4:30. Usually when playing I like the sun to up high, and if I go past 4:30 I usually miss dinner. My s-curve works best on sunny days between 3 and 3:15, but only when adjusted for daylight savings time.

For early am shots (pre-dawn), we'll have to wait for Cubby to chime in.

Good one geoffro

JILF:

If you want to throw a sidearm on a straight line and have it hyzer at the end - there are a few things you will want to do. First, you will probably want to get a more stable disc EX: orc, firebird, flick etc (although this shot can be thrown with a less stable disc, it requires less snap and more finesse).

When you are doing your throwing motion, release low - almost waist level. Your follow thru will affect the flight too.. make sure you extend fully, past your release point. If you are consistently turning everything over when throwing sidearm, try using less armspeed and just focus on the wrist movement.

Something that has been steadily helping me to maintain better form is warming up with putters before a round or feild practice. Throwing putters sidearm forces you to minimize your arm movement and emphasize the wrist motion as SimonCarr illustrated. Putters will turn over very easily if you don't use good form. It can be a little frustrating at first but if you stick with it, it can yield nice dividends. I am now able to throw moderately stable drivers like Orcs and Crushes that I used to always turn over. I remember reading about this somewhere (perhaps even this site?) and it is some of the best advice I've read on the matter.

Sometimes an S - curve is a good thing, it can be useful, make sure you remember how to throw it!