• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Catalyst, Medium Backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very nice looking bag.
I'm curious though, what are the differences between this and the Hyzer Bomb/Millennium Flak 3? The Physical Flight and Flaks have always been very similar, but this one seems to be trying to emulate the Grip bag a little more with the vertical side pockets and (essentially) doing away with the upper storage. That said, I find it interesting that this Catalyst is available in what seems to be the same color patterns that the Flak 3 are now being offered in. Any insight would be helpful.

This is a very nice looking bag.
I'm curious though, what are the differences between this and the Hyzer Bomb/Millennium Flak 3? The Physical Flight and Flaks have always been very similar, but this one seems to be trying to emulate the Grip bag a little more with the vertical side pockets and (essentially) doing away with the upper storage. That said, I find it interesting that this Catalyst is available in what seems to be the same color patterns that the Flak 3 are now being offered in. Any insight would be helpful.

The flak3 is meant to be a tourney backpack giving you a disc capacity of 25 to 30 discs. The catalysts absolute max is 22, the comfort zone of the disc capacity is between 12 and 18 discs. The difference I am trying to explain is this is the first MEDIUM sized backpack to go on the market. All the features of a full size backpack like a grip but in a smaller package

Hey dg, any way of getting Chris to send you a photo of someone wearing one of these? It looks so tall, it's really hard to tell if you are getting a smaller bag than others. That would be a big selling point for me, if it were more akin to a school backpack size. Thanks.

Hey dg, any way of getting Chris to send you a photo of someone wearing one of these? It looks so tall, it's really hard to tell if you are getting a smaller bag than others. That would be a big selling point for me, if it were more akin to a school backpack size. Thanks.

If you search YouTube for salient discs catalyst bag, there is a full overview of the bag and even shots of Chris wearing it

Here is a link to a quick video I made. Official pics, ordering etc will be up by this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a4Rl-T3QDNU

Here is the link to the video, i don't know how big of a guy he is, but it looks small on him
When it gets set in front of the contender bags, you can see its a little shorter, but mostly its narrower.

Perfect size for my wife :hfive:

Here is the link to the video, i don't know how big of a guy he is, but it looks small on him
When it gets set in front of the contender bags, you can see its a little shorter, but mostly its narrower.

I believe he is 6ft but don't quite me on that

I bought a voodoo karma / w straight jacket about 2 months ago. I really like it, but if I'd seen the catalyst back then I may have pulled the trigger on that. I agree with the others about the mini pocket and the only other thing that would make this bag the shizz is if it had a cell phone pocket on the straps like a straight jackets does. nice bag!! hell I still may get one.

Should have bought a grip instead been dealing with a warranty stuff all summer on my contender! Played in 12 sanction tournaments acrossed Michigan it would have been great to show the bag off. Only have one left hopefully I get it back in time and the straps don't rip again.lame

Should have bought a grip instead been dealing with a warranty stuff all summer on my contender! Played in 12 sanction tournaments acrossed Michigan it would have been great to show the bag off. Only have one left hopefully I get it back in time and the straps don't rip again.lame

I understand your problem, but was it really necessary to complain about a factory issue with the contender in the Catalyst thread?....

If you search YouTube for salient discs catalyst bag, there is a full overview of the bag and even shots of Chris wearing it

Thanks guys! Nice looking setup. Wish it were a touch shorter, but that's only because I am on the shorter side, too.

A whopping 5'8". I am having bag decision issues right now, though. Want to keep the number of discs to a minimum. Have we seen this bag not packed to the gills? Or is the 12 disc advertisement a bunch of mids and putters?

A whopping 5'8". I am having bag decision issues right now, though. Want to keep the number of discs to a minimum. Have we seen this bag not packed to the gills? Or is the 12 disc advertisement a bunch of mids and putters?

Packed to the top is 22 that is utilizing all other storage. 12 to 18 is probably a good range with 16 being the happy medium. What I plan to do is keep the putters up top in the zippered storage if possible, throw my 4 go to drivers in the vertical storage and stick another 16 in the main. Gives me 20 discs and still all my extra storage on the sides

Packed to the top is 22 that is utilizing all other storage. 12 to 18 is probably a good range with 16 being the happy medium. What I plan to do is keep the putters up top in the zippered storage if possible, throw my 4 go to drivers in the vertical storage and stick another 16 in the main. Gives me 20 discs and still all my extra storage on the sides

I'm actually interested to see how it rolls with only 12 discs, as that's about all I throw. Is there a divider on this one like the Contender?

I'm actually interested to see how it rolls with only 12 discs, as that's about all I throw. Is there a divider on this one like the Contender?

I don't believe there is, but I don't think 12 discs will be a problem especially if it is a mix of mids putters and drivers

12 is about what my wife carries, she is using a double nutsac now.
I figured that if its a little loose in the main compartment, I would put a couple of accordion dividers (cut off at an angle) in it for her.

I have one pre-ordered, I just hope that it's easy to get discs out of the ends. I often throw a putter or a mid on the far right, and the fastest driver I am carrying on the far left, and on many bags I have to twist and bend the thing to get it out. It doesn't just pop out.

The inverted U on the Contender helps quite a bit. This one has the traditional U though so I hope it's still easy.

I've seriously considered making closed cell foam "discs" to take up space for when I want to carry fewer discs but don't want them rattling around a lot. It'd look kinda hokey, but it would work. Same idea as throwing a towel in there.

I'm 5'7" - 5-'8" depending on the day.. :p And my 2nd run Contender fits me! I am all upper body though, so ymmv, but if the Catalyst is at all smaller than my Cont. you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts