• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

So, I came across a defect in the stitching near the go get it slot in my new helix. This was found during my initial inspection of the bag before I was going to load it to the teats with discs and gear. I contacted customer service and got a quick response from Hillary. Due to the fact that I live in Canada, and that I was the second owner, shipping the bag was going to be expensive for both of us. We discussed how to share the costs on shipping back for warranty repairs, be we eventually came to the mutually beneficial solution of a small refund in order to cover the small repair costs locally. This saved us both money, and I do not have to wait for what would likely be months to use my new bag.

I am aware of Salient's history with warranty claims, and I was initially hesitant to purchase this bag because of said history. I thought it was important that I share my recent experience so that new owners, or prospective new owners, can rest assured they have turned the corner with regards to warranty and customer service.

Special thanks to Hillary for the expedient and helpful service. I look forward to using this beautiful bag.

I wore my Helix as well this weekend at the Deans Cup at USDGC. I had a few people ask me about it and i got to show it off but MJs red one is a really good looking bag.

Yeah.I talked to both MJ & JohnE when they were out here for Worlds. Both like their Helix bags. MJ carried the Contender II, and I think also the Contender I, and says the Helix is far superior.

I'm happy to hear Salient has righted their ship, but sad that I bought earlier products.

Also consider that Windows sucked until 3.0, and wasn't good until 3.1. Even so, I'm primarily a Linux user ...

So, I came across a defect in the stitching near the go get it slot in my new helix. This was found during my initial inspection of the bag before I was going to load it to the teats with discs and gear. I contacted customer service and got a quick response from Hillary. Due to the fact that I live in Canada, and that I was the second owner, shipping the bag was going to be expensive for both of us. We discussed how to share the costs on shipping back for warranty repairs, be we eventually came to the mutually beneficial solution of a small refund in order to cover the small repair costs locally. This saved us both money, and I do not have to wait for what would likely be months to use my new bag.

I am aware of Salient's history with warranty claims, and I was initially hesitant to purchase this bag because of said history. I thought it was important that I share my recent experience so that new owners, or prospective new owners, can rest assured they have turned the corner with regards to warranty and customer service.

Special thanks to Hillary for the expedient and helpful service. I look forward to using this beautiful bag.

Sounds like a good way to meet in the middle and I am glad Hillary was able to help you out. Thank you.

I see this bag is now being offered for $160.00 with a limited warranty. Seems like a good deal if you're willing to forgo the lifetime warranty.

Would anyone that already has it recommend buying it without the lifetime warranty?

...and that I was the second owner...

Having been out of the loop for a while, I don't really know anything about this company, but the fact that they honor any warranty on a second hand bag is noteworthy. Many manufacturers will flat out deny warranty claims if you aren't the original purchaser (understandably so, you haven't given them any money for their product). Salient working to find a resolution is certainly commendable.

Without going through all the pages of this thread, can someone give a Cliffs Notes version of the past warranty issues?

One time, they shipped a bag without the straps attached and then tried to charge the customer to ship the bag to have it fixed....

Having been out of the loop for a while, I don't really know anything about this company, but the fact that they honor any warranty on a second hand bag is noteworthy. Many manufacturers will flat out deny warranty claims if you aren't the original purchaser (understandably so, you haven't given them any money for their product). Salient working to find a resolution is certainly commendable.

Without going through all the pages of this thread, can someone give a Cliffs Notes version of the past warranty issues?

If I recall correctly this was the first warranty issue related to the Helix. Feel free to shoot me an email or PM if you have any questions Tim. Thanks for checking us out.

If I recall correctly this was the first warranty issue related to the Helix. Feel free to shoot me an email or PM if you have any questions Tim. Thanks for checking us out.

False. Glide Disc Golf got one that wasn't finished, as well.

And he asked about the company in general.

Did Glide get an unfinished Catalyst or Helix?

Yes, Salient made a huge mistake (admittedly one of many since they came on the scene) during the Catalyst release. They've since corrected that mistake (and the rest) and moved on to better things. They even went so far as to change their bag manufacturer to a more quality-focused company, and they have DiscNation (believe that's who Grip uses too) doing their quality control.

I look forward to the day that people look at the present state of the company instead of their past. For some reason, people don't seem to think they deserve another chance, and I'm having trouble understanding why.

Are you referring to a Helix because that is why I stated in my post that I was talking about the Helix. He also asked about cliff notes without digging back in this thread which is the Helix thread that is why I left it on the topic of the thread when answering his question.

Did Glide get an unfinished Catalyst or Helix?

Yes, Salient made a huge mistake (admittedly one of many since they came on the scene) during the Catalyst release. They've since corrected that mistake (and the rest) and moved on to better things. They even went so far as to change their bag manufacturer to a more quality-focused company, and they have DiscNation (believe that's who Grip uses too) doing their quality control.

I look forward to the day that people look at the present state of the company instead of their past. For some reason, people don't seem to think they deserve another chance, and I'm having trouble understanding why.

Glide did not receive an unfinished bag. They received a bag that had a a small tear which was missed by the same company that handles QC for Grip. That is not a Salient issue. The bag was refunded no questions asked and was never sent to a customer btw. The only issue we have seen is from a second hand owner which again Hillary fixed.

Now that I am going on a few months with my Helix I thought I would give one more review:

I haven't used it for anything more than tournament rounds just because it is a monster- and for most courses on casual rounds I use no more than 12 discs. This being said, I love this bag for tournaments. I have been able to put enough gear inside the Helix to make a two-course day tournament extremely easy. I keep an extra pair of shoes, two extra pairs of sox, a long sleeve, a few towels, an umbrella, stool, and then still have room for 20-25 discs.

I have the gray/black version, and after rounds I give it a solid cleaning if there were mud, but for the most part, then only things I ever have to give a cleaning to are the rails underneath because my bag NEVER tips over, regardless of the slope (if it's a real steep hill, I just set my bag down with the rails running vertically with the slope of the hill).

The rain-fly is excellent and my discs just don't get wet regardless of the downpour except for when they are out in the fairway after being thrown.

Salient got this bag right! Now, since my wife snagged up the old Catalyst as her go-to bag, I am going to pick up an Ember for my casual rounds. Thanks Salient!

Glide did not receive an unfinished bag. They received a bag that had a a small tear which was missed by the same company that handles QC for Grip. That is not a Salient issue. The bag was refunded no questions asked and was never sent to a customer btw. The only issue we have seen is from a second hand owner which again Hillary fixed.

Oh the humanity! Get the pitchforks and torches! :rolleyes:

As I said, you guys have turned the corner and are leaving the past where it belongs. :thmbup:

Finally got my Helix bag, absolutely love it. I did a video review here,
Part one:
http://youtu.be/GLSBCLiiEoA
Part two:
http://youtu.be/YmCXC_glwN8

nice review. definitely looks like a great bag, prob represents the best bang for the buck for a large bag. if i ever start carrying more than 22 discs, i'm definitely gonna have to cop one of these. that said, carrying 20 or more discs, even with backups, already feels like too much for me.

my only true criticism for the bag is the go-get-it slot. conceptually, i think it's a good idea - kind of like salient's version of the quiver pocket. but, i think it would be better if they did away with the insert all together and made the slot less wide or found some other way for the discs to fit more snugly in there instead of them flopping around in there all loosely. the way they look in the 4:29 mark just makes it look messy. I can understand the logic behind how it is, as it gives people an option and more disc storage, but not a huge fan of how discs arrange in there or even the look of the slot insert. otherwise, looks pretty dope.

Initially I thought id like it better without the insert, but after trying multiple setups with the GGIS, I really like it with the hard insert. The day I went out with my 4 main drivers, and 2 mids in the spacer, I really liked it. They're up high and easy to get too, and they come out really smooth.

I took it out today with 22 discs and a 6 pack of bud lights. Everything was so comfortable. Now without a divider it wouldn't have been very nice, but with the divider it was really comfortable.

I thought I'd mostly use it as my 2 round/all day/tourny bag, but it's quickly turning into my everyday bag.

Lol, I've thought about using it as a school bag. There's an 18 hole pitch and putt course on campus I bet I could fit my books and other stuff in the main compartment, and then just have 5-6 discs in the top or GGIS to play in between classes. Instead of walking back to my car before and after, or carrying a back pack and DG bag.

I see this bag is now being offered for $160.00 with a limited warranty. Seems like a good deal if you're willing to forgo the lifetime warranty.

Would anyone that already has it recommend buying it without the lifetime warranty?

Where did you see this?
Any additional info?

If it's in new condition, I would go for it. I have one, and while the lifetime warranty is very comforting, I really don't foresee any problems. As long as you take care of it, and don't try to stuff more discs in it than it can hold.
If you treat it right it should last forever.