• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Same disc, same weight, different stabilities.

buzzkid

I have been playing for about 2 years now and have started to notice that certain discs I own will be more stable, or less stable than others that will be the same weight and same model. So my question is, why is my orange 171 Destroyer the most overstable disc in my bag, and my yellow 171 Destroyer give me huge distance off the tee? I bought both about 2 days apart so the amount of wear is the same. And when I go to buy more discs, how can I tell one is going to be more stable or less stable.

PLH and dome. And they react differently on different discs. So you can't just say "ooh, this puffy domed teebird will x more than usual, just like my domey Flow does x more than usual." It can be a little infuriating, really.

PLH and dome. And they react differently on different discs. So you can't just say "ooh, this puffy domed teebird will x more than usual, just like my domey Flow does x more than usual." It can be a little infuriating, really.

So basically what he's saying is that there's really no way to tell...

So basically what he's saying is that there's really no way to tell...

Nah. You just have to memorize the characteristics of the molds you throw and before you buy a new mold look up what dome/flat does. Then, compare PLH in the store to make sure you get what you want. Makes buying online near impossible if you are picky unless you ask them to look for you. I've come to view it as a necessary evil. There are inconsistencies with all the companies due to the injection molding process, but its not too bad if you know what you are looking for.

PLH is pretty definitive. TeebirdA has a significantly higher PLH than TeebirdB; TeebirdA is more overstable.

Dome is less indicative of stability.

why is my orange 171 Destroyer the most overstable disc in my bag, and my yellow 171 Destroyer give me huge distance off the tee?

While I'm sure the explanation is to be found PLH, I'm thinking color has something to do with it.

I'm only going by what I've witnessed in my disc purchasing but that's just the name of the game with Innova's high speed drivers. Last season I bought 5 champion destroyers all yellow all same weight and 3 champion orcs all blue all the same weight. There might have been 2 destroyers which were very similar to eachother but all 6 of the other discs had their own identity and flew with large variences in high speed stability.

Nobody's talking about tooling.
Two topics to tooling:
1. I've seen three different tooling marks on a Champ Banshee, for example, in the same store, at the same time. Do the all fly the same? No.
2. There are three different parts to a disc mold. These three parts are changed all the time, for ease of manufacturing. That is, to produce the fewest X-outs.
Go with what you know. Check the disc for dome and PLH.

Color

The color is key! If you look at what goes into the dye (?) 'color' you'd be amazed at the different chemicals involved.
If you would've said your two Destroyers were also the same color I would've had nothin' for ya!:p

While I'm sure the explanation is to be found PLH, I'm thinking color has something to do with it.
Some have suggested that the different pigments and fillers have an effect on disc stability. I'm not sure I agree with that explanation as much as different runs can come out with different results due to the humidity conditions at the factory the day they were made, and since each run is all the same color, the color (or whatever elements went into making it that color) gets blamed/credited for it.

So, the PLH on my orange is higher, but it has a way bigger dome. So how much does dome affect the stability? My yellow destroyer is super flat, almost as flat as a flick.

So, the PLH on my orange is higher, but it has a way bigger dome. So how much does dome affect the stability? My yellow destroyer is super flat, almost as flat as a flick.

Long story short, the dome isn't a good indicator of stability.

Often times there are trends for certain molds which can help you determine how the dome will affect the stability of a particular disc, but there are no hard and fast rules.

For Destroyers, a big dome generally indicates the disc is more overstable, but the dome is not necessarily the reason. When the wing gets pulled up on a Destroyer, the dome generally gets bigger.

A counter example is the Firebird. A big dome on a Firebird nearly always means the wing has drooped down during the molding process and that they fly drastically less overstable.

It's like baseball cards. They should just sell them in multipacks so you can figure out which one flies like you want and then trade with others.