• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sam's Returning Bag

samfoy

Bogey Member
The last time I played seriously was 2012-2013. I was about an INT level player at the time (ADV driving, REC putting).

Since then I've moved from Charlotte, NC to LA, CA. 5ish years have passed and I've got the itch again.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: ~2 years in 2011-2013. Currently about a month back in (Jan 2018)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: P2: 250/300'; Roc: 290/320'; River: 320/350';
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Swimming, Weight Lifting

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Lacking some confidence with Drivers, Going to take a while to beat some discs in
Specific areas of desired feedback: Fairway and Distance Driver suggestions assuming I still have some distance to gain back. New market additions in the past 5 years that would work well. Open to try anything
Immediate and long-term goals:
Short term, get back to consistent golf. Putting is atrocious. Learn a serviceable forehand.
Long term, achieve enough distance to change shot selection. Hyzer on 350' instead of straight, etc.

Bag:

Drivers :
(3) 169-170 Star Destroyer (new) - working in to have all lines covered
(1) 175 Champion Firebird (well used) - Headwind, skip shots, thumbers
(3) 175 Opto River (new) - Workhorse Driver, hyzer flip, long annys that finish straight
(1) 175 Pro Leopard (moderately beat) - low power straight shots, rollers, annys that finish right

Mids:
(4) 180 KC Roc (new) - working these in to have all mid lines covered

Putters:
(2) 175 P P2 - Putting putters
(2) 175 S P2 (new) - Throwing putters - beating one in over time

Concerns:
Maybe not quite the arm for Destroyers right now(I'd say I max out about 400'). Wraiths? Other brand options?
Not convinced about Rivers, remembered hearing good things so thought I'd try them. Too flippy for a workhorse driver. I've tried lots of teebirds before and never loved them. So very open to suggestions here.
A utility putter/mid? Something like a gator for when the firebird is too much?

I'm not a fan of the river's glide. They become uncontrollable in windy conditions for me. You may want to try a saint/saint pro for control shots.
Also, try a zone for you os tweener putt/mid.

I was gonna suggest a wraith, I've been throwing those and a renegade lately and they both are pretty good distance drivers, renegade being like a well beat in pro wraith to me.

I don't like the river either, but if it works for you go with it. Something very similar that isn't as touchy or squirrelly to me is the leopard3. Covers the same lines but more consistent to me.

I'm not a fan of the river's glide. They become uncontrollable in windy conditions for me. You may want to try a saint/saint pro for control shots.
Also, try a zone for you os tweener putt/mid.

Ah I should definitely give a zone a try. Remember hearing good things about them.

I'll see about grabbing a Saint as well.

I was gonna suggest a wraith, I've been throwing those and a renegade lately and they both are pretty good distance drivers, renegade being like a well beat in pro wraith to me.

I don't like the river either, but if it works for you go with it. Something very similar that isn't as touchy or squirrelly to me is the leopard3. Covers the same lines but more consistent to me.

I had a renegade before, actually. Near when I stopped playing that was my tailwind and max distance disc. I might pick one up while waiting to beat in distance drivers.

I think I'm gonna grab some wraiths and see what I like between them and destroyers. My destroyers are all brand new and one of them I can get to just barely turn. I'm curious how theyll best in for me. But fresh I definitely think wraiths will fit the bill.

I had a Star Wraith (168g) that I was in love with, this made me buy another 3 to have in spare. The other Wraiths I have is too overstable for me. I also have a pretty new Star Destroyer (168g) that is very similar to the Wraith I lost, it flew so nice out of the box. I have also tried Destroyers that some of my friends have, some are super meathooks and impossible to get too turn. I don't want the hassle of trying to wear disc in order to be able to throw them in the field so I decided to try out multiple disc.

I bought, Discmania DDX, Discmania CD3, Discmania CD, DD Trespass, Champ Tern and actually gave the Wraith another chance.

The most overstable disc that I got was actually the Tern, it was a bit surprising.

I got the DDX to turn on my first throw (thrown with a slight hyzer). It reminds me a lot about the Wraith that I lost. It was easy distance for me. I decided to order another 5 of the DDX, hoping to get from the same run or that DDX have less flaws in production in general.

I really recommend the DDX if you don't think you have the arm for a Destroyer. I know it has been called a seasoned Destroyer in the forum.

I don't throw far, my averages would be something like:

Putters: 230/250
Mids: 265/280
Fairways: 290/310
Drivers: 330/360

I've actually had a few throws with my DDX that went around 380 feet (measured in Udisc). I'm at work now and the weather haven't been all that great so haven't tried much lately. FYI I try to throw all my distance shots with a slight hyzer.

Last edited:
So I did that thing where you throw out everything because you want to GYRO. I'd say I've added about 30ft of distance since I started playing again as well. On golf lines putters to about 280, mids to about 320 and fairways to about 350.

Putting Putters:
  • 2x Electron Firm Ion. Nothing else feels right in the hand.
Thowing Putters:
  • 2x Neutron Particle. I'm going to give the Envy a try as well but I ordered these first and I love them.
  • 2x Neutron Proxy. Love these if I need a bit of turn or an anny that I don't want to fade out. Probably only need 1 in the bag but I carry 2 of everything that I throw alot, just in case.
Mids:
  • 2x Proton Vector. New in the bag after I didn't vibe with the Matrix. I used to throw these and remember them being like a stable roc, though.
  • 2x Neutron 1x Proton Axis. Go to Mids. Trying the Neutrons out this weekend hoping for a bit less stability than my proton one.
  • 1x Neutron Theory. Don't know if itll stay in the bag once I have a beat axis. I'm really liking it for now for turnover and flip up mid shots.
Fairways:
  • 2x Neutron Crave. Favorite disc. Point and shoot fairway for me.
  • 2x Neutron Volt. Trying these this weekend.
  • 2x Neutron Wrath. For headwinds when I'd normally throw a crave. Anything I want a bit more stability. This isn't much longer than a crave for me.
  • 1x Neutron Inspire. Flip ups and turnover shots.
  • 1x Neutron Resistor. Trying this weekend. Hoping for something a bit more manageable than the fireball
Distance:
I'm still unsure about everything here. I want to try some more molds.
  • 2x Neutron Defy. Basically a longer Wrath for me.
  • 1x Neutron Insanity. Currently my longest distance disc. With enough height it'll turn and come back a bit.
  • 1x Proton Fireball. Meaty meat hook goodness to the point of being a utility disc.

Ah I should definitely give a zone a try. Remember hearing good things about them.

I'll see about grabbing a Saint as well.

regular saint is hella glidey and will get messed around in wind

saint pro doesnt

i love the saint though its so easy to get max d its a cheater disc easy to throw and laser lines

Saint Pro and Saint are a nice pairing, use the Pro version if the wind kicks up- They replaced my Escapes, which seemed wild and flippy sometimes