• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

saran wrap technique?

Start with a search first. :D

Basically you just pour some dye on some crinkled saran wrap, then lay your disc on top and leave it there for a while.

4004680649_8a88442543.jpg

That is beautiful! :clap:

I did a lot of searching and reading before i did my first saran wrap job. It really is as simple as Bennett says. It will take some possible trial and error to get exactly how much of the color you want, how marbleized it is, how much of the original color shows through, etc, etc. Experimenting is half the fun imo! Maybe try saran wrap on a disc that's faded, beat up or you dont throw the first time that way if its not to your liking its not as big of a deal.

follow up to this:
How long do you usually leave it in the dye?
and
do you heat it up first, or no?

Thanks!

Hrmm, I actually developed my own method of saran wrap dyeing. Mine look a bit more swirley compared to this. (This is the first time EVER that i've revealed how I do mine... for the record lol)

1- Make many little, a palm full, sized saran wrap pieces
2- Lay out a long strip of saran wrap, enough till wrap around the disc
3- Put your saran wrap balls in a circleish arrangement on the saran wrap
4- Lay the disc down on top, top down, making sure there are enough saran wrap balls to cover the entire surface.
5- wrap the saran wrap around, moving the balls as needed or crumpling in more
6- take another piece around the other way to ensure none of the pieces can fall out, it should be like your disc is wearing a shower cap with alot of little shower caps tucked in (good analogy, eh?)
7- stab holes all around
8- dunk it in a dye bath as normal!
Note- be careful taking it out, can be VERY messy. I generally move the entire pot/pan to the sink and dump it.

Enjoy!

Ok, I tried my first saran wrap dye and it just didn't come out as I had expected. I feel like I'm missing something. It'd be really nice if someone could post pics of the process. Anyway, one of my questions is: should the dye be heated when poured onto the saran wrap? Mine was warm at the most. Any help would be appreciated.

what type of dye is that? - is is just regular rit? my dyes never turn out so vivid :(

12 hours minimum, I typically mix mine with warm water but im not sure if it matters.

I honestly just eye-balled it. I saw guys keep dye in plastic soda/water bottles so I put water into a 17 oz bottle (almost all the way), put the whole packet of RIT powder dye in and also a little bit of acetone.

yea I have 3 discs in a saran wrap now....don't know if I put enough dye in it...don't think I did...but we will see! if I screwed it up won't matter much haha...will just throw ugly discs :p...was getting eager and was gonna pull them out tonight but ill wait until tommorow morning...did it at like 11 today...

Start with a search first. :D

Basically you just pour some dye on some crinkled saran wrap, then lay your disc on top and leave it there for a while.

4004680649_8a88442543.jpg

Beautiful! That is awesome looking!:clap:

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

This is how my technique turns out, it gives a much more fluid swirl appearance. Plus, since this uses the stove as normal it takes the same amount of time, about 15 min.

Latest posts