• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Save Brackett's Bluff

Signed. Hope this works! I want a 2 on the rock hole :thmbup:

Signed. This course is high up in my top 10 and to be honest, it's probably one of the top 20 courses in the nation. It'd be a real shame for it to become extinct.

I posted it on facebook because I hate to see courses disappear, but it is also my #1 course played out of over 400! That says a lot about wanting to preserve it!

I signed because I HAVEN'T played it yet.

I want it to last long enough for me to get there.

http://www.davidsonlands.org/brackett-bluff-121610/

That's the info on the property from the Davidson Lands Conservancy website.
Also - I signed the petition and posted it to my FB page.

from that article: "At present, the property is not accessible to the public..."

It seems like there could be other angles to saving this course - if the land is meant to be accessible for public use eventually anyway. Maybe it could be temporarily torn down and re-established later as a public course.

a 2 on the rock hole is awesome. especially from the bottom!

gah, i love that place. definitely my favorite course

"I thought I would write this letter to help clarify the issues with the disc golf course. Anything you can do to help would greatly be appreciated. I'll make it brief and to the point.

There was a total of 72 acres of land my mother owned. There was a (5) acre tract up top where my sister lives (small white house at the road entrance), and the remainder is where I live. Catawba Land Conservancy, Charlotte Mecklenburg Park & Recreation and Davidson Land Conservancy, all went in and wanted to purchase as much of the 72 acres as possible. I was going to keep approx. 10 to 15 acres so I could keep my disc golf course and my sister was to keep her tract.
I made an offer to take 5 acres and my house if I could keep the disc golf course which would be half on there land and half on my land. We sat down and made the deal which was approximately 60 acres to them. That was in 2003. There were several stipulations in the contract.
The first was if I ever was to stop using the course I had to remove it.
The second was if I ever sold the remainder of the land, I had to remove the course.
If I ever sold my portion of the land, they would have first chance to buy it.
I could not put any of the course on the bluff portion of the land (which I have not).
These stipulations were all written down on a rough draft of the contract and initialed by Mr. Ron Altman, president of the Catawba Lands Conservancy at the time and myself. We had a ceremony in downtown Charlotte, NC for the signing and my mother donated $35,000 of the money to the Conservancy. She did not read the final contract and the stipulations were never put on the final contract.
There was never a problem for years. I continued building and fine tuning the course. The conservancy would come out and do yearly inspections and praise me for cleaning up the property, removing acres of kudzu and making the property accessible.
Then in 2009 I received a phone call from the Catawba Lands Conservancy stating somebody reviewed the original contract and noticed the disc golf course was not included in the contract. They stated if I could find the rough draft of the contract they would make an amendment to the contract and that would take care of it. Of course we did not have the rough draft, they took it with them that day. Of course no one can find the draft. So they gave me three years to keep the course before I have to remove it. That period ends October 1, 2012.
Stan McDaniel was in charge of the 2012 Disc Golf World Championships and wanted to use my course. We went to park & recreation to ask permission to use it. They said no and that's when the Charlotte Disc Golf Club was told to stay away from the course. Until that time, we had held several fund raiser tournaments for the Raptor Center, Second Harvest Food Bank and Susan G. Komen's breast cancer cause.
I would really appreciate anything you could do. I have spent thousands of hours and dollars over the years and would really like to fix this issue. I have proposed to them several options to try and keep the course. I went to one of their monthly meetings with a presentation to remove other areas of kudzu if they would let me use those areas for disc golf. I also asked if I could at least use the Duke Power right of ways for disc golf since Duke comes in and kills anything growing in those areas. That was a year ago and I have not heard back at this time.
I would at the very least like to get an extension of time for my course. I am 55 years old and have been keeping this course up since 2002. I would like to get at least 5 more years out of it while my kids are still enjoying the game. Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing from you. If you have any questions or would like to talk some more, please feel free to contact me at 704-201-0833.

Sincerely,

David Brackett"

Man we need more signatures or maybe organize a mass protest at one of these damn meetings.

"They are paying attention! This Saturday the Bluff will be closed for inspection. Our goal is to have over 1000 signatures by then."

Please share the link to the petition on facebook, local club forums, dgr, wherever you can think of. All help is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts