• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saving a course?

Update 6/3/15

I have successfully contacted the director of campus recreation and received a very timely response!

"Joshua,

Thanks for your note. I believe you have provided an accurate summary of our disc golf course challenge. Since July of 2013, the course has been officially closed due to the construction of the Recreation and Athletic Outdoor Complex, that included the extra time for the temporary extended parking lot in P-11. During this time, we have not maintained any of the course, as it is closed. However, we saw that last summer some people mowed out and made a temporary nine hole course and moved a couple of buckets. While unauthorized, it is something that could not be monitored.

The close out on the construction of the RAOC has been delayed and still there is work to be done. As we draw close, we will look to relocate the 5 holes lost to the construction project. We also know that the tee pads will also need some attention. So yes, there are plans. At this time, I cannot project a time frame that the course will officially reopen.

Thanks again for your note.

Greg

Gregory T. Jordan, Director
Department of Campus Recreation"

At least I got a response! I guess I'll have to keep my hopes up and wait. Also maybe sneak back to hole 12 to work on some tunnel shots :D

Glad to hear you got an answer back from the director! :)

I used to be a student at Michigan Tech in Houghton, and I know that they had to move a couple of the holes on their course, due to them building the Mineral Museum. Unfortunately, this isn't uncommon among university campuses, like previous comments have stated. Recreation sports, such as disc golf courses and mountain biking trails, are constantly evolving to fit the school's need for adding buildings and/or taking away buildings.

My advice is to continue advocating for OU's disc golf course! Continuing sending e-mails to your recreation director, as well as try and get in touch with the creator of the course and other students that are interested in maintaining the course.

I recently worked to get a course installed at a university. There are several things that can help you. You need support from the student body, if you can get some support from the student association that will do a lot. If you can get some faculty or staff to support that goes a long ways. You're gonna be playing up against politics here, and believe me, there are politics at every institution that you don't even know are there. Pre existing agendas that have absolutely nothing to do with you or the course start getting in your way. You need someone that knows what's going on and has clout to push you through. You need to find a way to get the people in charge of grounds on board. If the guys that have to maintain this thing don't want it, they will shoot you down. We didn't get our course in until the grounds guy changed, and we got a prominent phys Ed professor on board. It would have been helpful to get student support, but we got a lot of alumni support.

But seriously, try to get some faculty that would support it, and get the grounds dept on board.

OU is up and running as of last week! They redesigned and added a few holes to make it 18!

Thanks to whomever made it happen! We'll need to update the info on dgcr. Who's up to checking her out and taking notes and pics to update listing?

Latest posts